No 5 Lee Enfield kick

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Musclebob

No 5 Lee Enfield kick

#1 Post by Musclebob »

I shoot a M84 Trapdoor with service loads (45-70 500gr @1350fps) and it is fairly punishing if not held correctly.

I’m looking at getting a Lee Enfield and, cos I’m a difficult person, I’m thinking of either a CLLE or a No5.

However I hear horror stories about the kick of the No5. Is it as bad as people make out?
RDC

Re: No 5 Lee Enfield kick

#2 Post by RDC »

Musclebob wrote:I shoot a M84 Trapdoor with service loads (45-70 500gr @1350fps) and it is fairly punishing if not held correctly.

I’m looking at getting a Lee Enfield and, cos I’m a difficult person, I’m thinking of either a CLLE or a No5.

However I hear horror stories about the kick of the No5. Is it as bad as people make out?
It can't be that bad. People say the same about a mosin carbine with surplus ammo, or a 45-70, but both ain't bad if you shoulder it right.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
If it hurts put a Cissy Pad on it, also improves length of pull.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#4 Post by GeeRam »

Musclebob wrote: However I hear horror stories about the kick of the No5. Is it as bad as people make out?
Nope.

The problem isn't the extra kick from the shortened barrel and lightened rifle, its the fact that the rubber butt pads these days are rock hard, and have a much smaller area than the buttplate's on a No.3 or No.4, thereby concentrating the kick.
And my No.5 felt like firing an air-rifle compared with the kick from my ex-Norwegian K98 in 30-06.... :o

As mentioned in post above, if not wanting to use a sling, then fit a slip-on butt recoil pad, which also as said, increases the LOP making it more comfortable to shoot as well.
When I bought my No.5 it had a S marked short butt, and was horrible to shoot, with my longer arms, but I also happened to have a de-act No.5 that had been a wall display of my late fathers, and I happen to notice it had a desirable 'L' long butt fitted, so I swapped them over before selling off the de-act No.5, and my no.5 with a L butt was much more comfortable to shoot, in terms of LOP and fractionally less felt kick.
Webley
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by Webley »

No where near the reputation IMHO. I have fired GeeRam's No.5 and it was fine, more punch than my No.4 but in the same ball park. I would not let it stop me getting one. They are quite loud but the bark is worse than the bite.

Matt
ArcofZen
Home club or Range: Tunnel Club Charmouth

#6 Post by ArcofZen »

Of all the firearms I’ve tried (discounting the .50 cal!) I’d say my No5 kicks the most. But it’s not unmanageable. As mentioned the rubber stock end doesn’t help anymore because it’s solid!
I actually bruised my shoulder the first time, but that was down to poor technique due to a bad back, and only wearing a T-shirt probably lol
Wreck diving heaven... https://youtu.be/SC3QXpVy15s
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#7 Post by Lever357 »

Fired 20 rounds through my mates No5 and it was fine - bit more than my No4 but perfectly acceptable.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

Musclebob wrote:I shoot a M84 Trapdoor with service loads (45-70 500gr @1350fps) and it is fairly punishing if not held correctly.

It hurts if you're 12. Or a size 8 female, or a eight stone bloke with a 32" chest....

And unless you screen name is ironic, you'll be fine.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Musclebob

#9 Post by Musclebob »

Definitely not 8 stone with a 32" chest, so sounds like it's another of those little myths.
Alan D
Home club or Range: Private range

#10 Post by Alan D »

As has been said, it does kick more than a No4 (the No4 has the best shooting manners of the .303 Enfields in my opinion) and SMLE, but certainly no more than my K98 or 1903A3 shooting factory ammo.

The potent 7.92 round packs quite a punch in the short K98, but it's a different story in its predecessor, the G98, a pleasure to shoot every time, with its extra weight and length.

The increased recoil of the carbine, coupled with a smaller diameter, rock hard rubber pad is without doubt the issue with the No5.

The answer is shoot your No5 first in a day at the range and not last, if it's the last rifle out of the car at 4pm, then your body won't thank you as the butt bites into your well used shoulder!

As an aside, unpleasant recoil harmonics can be a symptomatic of a poorly bedded and set up rifle and poor marksmanship regarding position etc.