SMLE QD stud

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

shotgun sam

SMLE QD stud

#1 Post by shotgun sam »

Hi

I was wondering if anyone has ever made a QD stud that can be screwed into the stock on an SMLE (outlined red on photo) that fits the screwing threads as shown in the attached photo.
I am looking for one so my registered blind son can more easily/accurately fire his inheritance
Attachments
smle qd.jpg
mossberg 500
meteor mk2
smk 19 (0.22)
ruger 12/22 stainless synthetic 22lr
cz 452 style 16 inch 22lr
tikka t3 lite stainless 223
308 howa 1500 varmint
BSA Lightning XL (0.22)
Lanber Over and Under
Baikal mp153
AYA Cosmos 410
1917 BSA SMLE 303
Rearlugs

Re: SMLE QD stud

#2 Post by Rearlugs »

What would be your purpose in putting a QD stud under the rear sight protector? Its not a good place for either a sling swivel or a bipod support.

Surely the best option for safe shooting in this situation would be to use a sandbag support or propriety rifle rest? (eg https://www.uttings.co.uk/p111302-mtm-c ... eI1g9XgouU)

The item you have circled is not actually a screw; its a nut that accepts the screw inserted from the top through the sight protector. I suppose what you could do is braze your QD stud directly to the top of that nut. Because its a nut, you can align it in the direction you wish (is for the holes in the stud) and simply use the top screw to tighten in that position.

Its been quite common for people to use screw-in QD/bipod studs on Enfield, but making a new hole in the forend in front of the mid band. Not something I'd do, but then I like to keep rifles in original condition!