1920 Lithgow

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: 1920 Lithgow

#11 Post by GeeRam »

Sim G wrote:I really wish I could get into mil-surp....
I really wish I could stop being into it.... lol
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#12 Post by snayperskaya »

GeeRam wrote:
That looks lovely, and sounds like its a peachy shooter as well..... :good:

I'd still love to get a nice pre-1915 SMLE as a tribute to my maternal Grandmother's oldest brother who was listed as MIA on the opening day of the Battle of Loos in Sept 1915, while serving with 7th KOSB.
I have my grandfathers notebook from WW1, he served in the 6th Battalion KSLI from 1915 to 1918 (he transferred to The Machinegun Corps before the Armistice and served in Germany as part of British Army of The Rhine).

Written inside the front cover of the notebook and the words "Rifle Serial number" with five or six different serial numbers written underneath.I keep thinking of posting the serial numbers on here and another forum I'm on as you never know, by some miracle someone may have one of the rifles listed.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
GeeRam

#13 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote: Written inside the front cover of the notebook and the words "Rifle Serial number" with five or six different serial numbers written underneath.I keep thinking of posting the serial numbers on here and another forum I'm on as you never know, by some miracle someone may have one of the rifles listed.
I did that a few months back on Milsurps, regarding my late father's rifle number I found in his original Skill at Arms book from when he joined up in Dec 1944, as I wanted to know if anyone could decode it.

The number was MC24730, which someone decoded as being a late '44 Fazakerley No.4 Mk1.
I think the chances of it turning up are remote lol
Sadly, I don't have the number of the No.5 he was issued with when he landed in Palestine a year and bit later.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#14 Post by Sim G »

snayperskaya wrote: Written inside the front cover of the notebook and the words "Rifle Serial number" with five or six different serial numbers written underneath.I keep thinking of posting the serial numbers on here and another forum I'm on as you never know, by some miracle someone may have one of the rifles listed.

Now that would be really cool!

I have a great interest in military history. There is a considerable military history in my own family. I served and my best mate who I still speak with at least five times a week, we met as 17 year old soldiers 34 years ago! And the military history of his family is far more interesting than anyone’s I’ve ever come across....

But the rifles.... just dont do it for me.

An 1890’s lever gun, that’s different!
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#15 Post by FredB »

I have an octagonal barrel Winchester '92 in 44040. Not quite 1890s--- actually made in 1904--- but stamped into both wood and metalwork ls: "Guan Dong Brigade" in cantonese. I believe that the brigade still exists as part of the red army.
Milsurp?
Fred
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#16 Post by snayperskaya »

Sim G wrote:

Now that would be really cool!

I have a great interest in military history. There is a considerable military history in my own family. I served and my best mate who I still speak with at least five times a week, we met as 17 year old soldiers 34 years ago! And the military history of his family is far more interesting than anyone’s I’ve ever come across....

But the rifles.... just dont do it for me.

An 1890’s lever gun, that’s different!
Same here with my family, my Uncle Jack was a career soldier in the RA before the outbreak of WWII and was one of the last off the beach at Dunkirk as they stayed to man the anti-tank guns.He went to North Africa and was at El Alamein, then Italy, France and into Germany.He came out in '46, reenlisted within 12 months and became a batman to a Brigadier and ended up in Hong Kong and the Far East before finally leaving in 1960.I have his service books and medals etc.

My Dad served in the RA and trained at Tonfanau in Mid Wales before going to Germany and he stayed friends with his oppo from those days right up until my dad pasted away.

My eldest brother was in the RAF for donkeys years and travelled all over, including the Falklands at the time of the conflict, Northern Ireland,Germany and Malta etc.

Three uncles all served in the RAF during WWII and my uncle Victor was a RA gunner on a British merchant ship, the Robert.L Holt out of Liverpool, but was killed in an engagement with the U-boat U-69, captained by Jost Metzler, of the coast of West Africa.He was 19 years old at the time, I have a photo of him in uniform and the resemblance to myself is uncanny, my mother said I'm very much like him to the point it was a bit spooky!.

http://dubm.de/en/the-robert-l-holt/

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

GeeRam

#17 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote: Same here with my family, my Uncle Jack was a career soldier in the RA before the outbreak of WWII and was one of the last off the beach at Dunkirk as they stayed to man the anti-tank guns.He went to North Africa and was at El Alamein, then Italy, France and into Germany.He came out in '46, reenlisted within 12 months and became a batman to a Brigadier and ended up in Hong Kong and the Far East before finally leaving in 1960.I have his service books and medals etc.
Wow.....similar with my Uncle Harry (and my Godfather)

Joined the RA as a regular in 1938, went to France with the BEF, and just made it out from Dunkirk. Went to North Africa, and was at El Alamein too, by then as a Sergeant :good:
He spent the rest of the war out in the Middle East & India, before coming back to UK just after the war ended as a WO2 and a transfer to the REME.
He stayed in the Army for his full 22, retiring in 1960, after coming back from a 2 year stint with the BAOR. He had also done a 2 year posting out in Singapore in the early 50's.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#18 Post by snayperskaya »

GeeRam wrote:
snayperskaya wrote: Same here with my family, my Uncle Jack was a career soldier in the RA before the outbreak of WWII and was one of the last off the beach at Dunkirk as they stayed to man the anti-tank guns.He went to North Africa and was at El Alamein, then Italy, France and into Germany.He came out in '46, reenlisted within 12 months and became a batman to a Brigadier and ended up in Hong Kong and the Far East before finally leaving in 1960.I have his service books and medals etc.
Wow.....similar with my Uncle Harry (and my Godfather)

Joined the RA as a regular in 1938, went to France with the BEF, and just made it out from Dunkirk. Went to North Africa, and was at El Alamein too, by then as a Sergeant :good:
He spent the rest of the war out in the Middle East & India, before coming back to UK just after the war ended as a WO2 and a transfer to the REME.
He stayed in the Army for his full 22, retiring in 1960, after coming back from a 2 year stint with the BAOR. He had also done a 2 year posting out in Singapore in the early 50's.

You never know but going by that they could have served together!.