1920 Lithgow

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

1920 Lithgow

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I succumbed to this yesterday, I had an FN M1930 Mauser 'Sniper' (Yes, I know they were never made) That was seldom brought out so I did a deal for this 1920 Coachwood Lithgow No1Mk3*

Judging by the marks it saw service in Korea as well as WWII and looks to have a heavier barrel than unusual. This was a personal rifle of a collector I know so I am rather pleased to have been able to wrestle it out of his hands and it was only on the understanding I do not sell it on.

I am looking forward to shooting it.
IMG_6754.jpeg
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: 1920 Lithgow

#2 Post by Alpha1 »

Very nice let us know how it shoots.
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have seen it shot, in someone else's hands it is probably the best shooting Lithgow I know of. It was re-barreled in 1952 and the barrel will not take a .3032" gauge from either end, so it is well within limits. It is also nigh on perfect throat wise both with the gauge and visually, so no excuses.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
millemigliadave
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#4 Post by millemigliadave »

That's a lovely rifle, I've just ventured into Enfields - bought my first, a fairly ordinary Long Branch made no.4 mk1* a few weeks ago. It's far cry from yours but I've got the bug! (no, not that one...) Learning about two piece stocks, bedding, headspace etc...

If I do end up needing to self-isolate I have all the reading/YouTube content I need to fill a couple of weeks :)
Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

millemigliadave wrote:That's a lovely rifle, I've just ventured into Enfields - bought my first, a fairly ordinary Long Branch made no.4 mk1*......
Thank you. I owned a 1915 BSA no1Mk3* many years ago, sadly it died... I have been after one for years and did know of this one, however it was a bit of a struggle to get it, hence I am one 'scoped Mauser down in the Armoury.

There is nothing ordinary about any .303 rifle and the Long Branch is a lovely rifle, I had a couple here end of last week and it is only because I wanted another SMLE that one of them is not here right now.
/d

Shed Journal
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#6 Post by 20series »

ooh that's lovely David, I'll have to have a fondle next time we're up... :good: :good: :good:
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#7 Post by snayperskaya »

You know my SOWR of choice Comrade....but I have to admit that is a very nice looking Lee Enfield you have there :good:
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#8 Post by Sim G »

I really wish I could get into mil-surp....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#9 Post by snayperskaya »

Sim G wrote:I really wish I could get into mil-surp....
What's stopping you?......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#10 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote:I succumbed to this yesterday, I had an FN M1930 Mauser 'Sniper' (Yes, I know they were never made) That was seldom brought out so I did a deal for this 1920 Coachwood Lithgow No1Mk3*

Judging by the marks it saw service in Korea as well as WWII and looks to have a heavier barrel than unusual. This was a personal rifle of a collector I know so I am rather pleased to have been able to wrestle it out of his hands and it was only on the understanding I do not sell it on.

I am looking forward to shooting it.
IMG_6754.jpeg
That looks lovely, and sounds like its a peachy shooter as well..... :good:

I'd still love to get a nice pre-1915 SMLE as a tribute to my maternal Grandmother's oldest brother who was listed as MIA on the opening day of the Battle of Loos in Sept 1915, while serving with 7th KOSB.