Variation

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Lampuki

Variation

#1 Post by Lampuki »

Hi there folks

I’m just about to ping in my renewal and am wanting to stick in a variation or two. Now I already have a .303 (Longbranch) However I would like to start a bit of a collection and next in the list is a SMLE.

I am a target club member, do I just ask for another for the range? Is that “good reason” ?

Cheers
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Variation

#2 Post by GeeRam »

Yep.

Just apply for another .303 slot..... (or two .303 slots, as don't forget there's the No.5 to add as well if you are going down the Lee-Enfield collecting route shakeshout )
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#3 Post by Alpha1 »

Just put that you want them for target shooting.
Rockhopper

#4 Post by Rockhopper »

You might find they won’t process variations just at the moment even if they go in with your renewal.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#5 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
If you are into target work and .303 then I would definitely try to seek out a P14 they are without doubt the best of the bunch.
Lampuki

#6 Post by Lampuki »

Thanks for the comments. I think I will be greedy and have a go for two more .303s?? I would like a nice Lee Long Enfield, I'm not sure I'm man enough for a no5!

Hopefully variation will be processed, I'm in Suffolk, anyone had any recent experience here?
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by GeeRam »

Lampuki wrote:I think I will be greedy and have a go for two more .303s?? I would like a nice Lee Long Enfield, I'm not sure I'm man enough for a no5!
lol

No.5's aren't that bad.
The 30-06 K98kF1 I used to own was a much more angry beast to shoot than my No.5.

But, Long Lee is nice choice.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#8 Post by Mattnall »

Alpha1 wrote:Just put that you want them for target shooting.
It might be worth telling the FEO that you are wanting to start a collection as well. It is a legitimate reason and when asked why you want so many .303 rifles you'll have your answer to hand. Having membership or subscriptions to Lee Enfield, WWII or military collectors' clubs or magazines etc. would help.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Some FEO's and licensing departments are against collecting as they say the firearms act makes no provision for it. Probably better to suggest different variants for different distances or disciplines or types of ammunition, plus you have an interest in the historical values of such rifles. A collection of reference books and a genuine knowledge or interest goes a long way as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

#10 Post by spikedueller »

And for something completely different don't forget the Winchester 1895 in .303" Holts have a tatty one in their sealed bid auction to be fair they are on the rarer side
The holy grail of these is one in 7.62x54R for the Russian government contact in WW1.
I'm reading Kassab & Dunbar's Winchester 1895 at the moment and am very envious.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.com/a ... &saletype=