Moderator: dromia

ukrifleman
Past Supporter

Type 99 Arisaka

#1 Post by ukrifleman »

SDC16803.JPG
SDC10831.JPG
SDC10830.JPG
Here is my Type 99 Arisaka for your perusal.

It's a 21st series Kokura circa 1942 , being a relatively early production it has all the bells and whistles, it has a mismatched bolt and dust cover, quite common with these rifles.

The MUM is intact, it has a chrome bore and bolt face, anti-aircraft sights, a monopod and cleaning rod, the sling is a repro and the bayonet is not numbered to the rifle.

Judging by its condition, I doubt it ever saw service in the Pacific theatre, more likely issued to rear echelon troops, or possibly the Kwantung army in Manchuria.

It shoots very well with cast or FMJ.
ukrifleman
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Type 99 Arisaka

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Something for my bucket list. What distances do you shoot it out to?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#3 Post by ukrifleman »

I mostly shoot at 100m these days, but I have shot it on MOD ranges in the past, knocking down fig 11's out to 500 yards.

The rifle is just as capable as my Enfield's or Mausers.
PeterN

#4 Post by PeterN »

Nice rifle. Good to have all the bits to go with it. I have a similar one, a series two Nagoya, It has a matching bolt but no dust cover, a repro monopod and the flower has had a light pass of the grinder. I have a couple of the bayonets to go with the rifles. I have shot mine up to 600 yards but usually stick to 200 yards these days. I will put some photos up sometime. Here is a pic of me at Strensall range near York on the 500 yard firing point. I just looked at the date of the photo, it was taken in 2004. Time is going much too fast.
T99 STRENSALL2.JPG
Regards
Peter.
CrumpCP

#5 Post by CrumpCP »

A lovely example of a type 99, i have just purchased one myself. Have you ever used the mono pod on it and if so how well does it work?
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#6 Post by ukrifleman »

[ Have you ever used the mono pod on it and if so how well does it work?[/quote]

I have never used the monopod for the reasons given below.

I always shoot from a bench with a rest, as a back problem makes going prone difficult and uncomfortable.

I could try it out off the bench I suppose, perhaps I will give it a go, if and when we get back on the range!
ukrifleman
Past Supporter

#7 Post by ukrifleman »

My curiosity got the better of me and I tried out the monopod from the prone position, (a nice thick carpet in a centrally heated room helped!)

Supporting myself on my elbows with the monopod deployed, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the rifle felt.

The rifle was just the right height for me to align myself with the sights without any contortions being necessary and the three point support of my elbows and the monopod made a very stable firing platform.

After a few minutes the nerve damage in my back made me call a halt, but it was an interesting exercise nonetheless.

Maybe one day I will try it for real!
CrumpCP

#8 Post by CrumpCP »

ukrifleman wrote:My curiosity got the better of me and I tried out the monopod from the prone position, (a nice thick carpet in a centrally heated room helped!)

Supporting myself on my elbows with the monopod deployed, I was pleasantly surprised at how comfortable the rifle felt.

The rifle was just the right height for me to align myself with the sights without any contortions being necessary and the three point support of my elbows and the monopod made a very stable firing platform.

After a few minutes the nerve damage in my back made me call a halt, but it was an interesting exercise nonetheless.

Maybe one day I will try it for real!

Thanks for giving that a go, I look forward to getting mine have seeing how it handles with and without the monopod.