Cleaning rod

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Gerry939
Home club or Range: WNSC

Cleaning rod

#1 Post by Gerry939 »

I have a No4 Mk1* and a 8mm M48 Mauser plus a .308 what is the ideal cleaning rod to use for all 3 and any advice on brushes jags,etc ..don't want to use cleaning rod on the Mauser
:flag6: Gerry939
PeterN

Re: Cleaning rod

#2 Post by PeterN »

I use the Parker Hale yellow rod, actually two, a short and a long one, and the jags and bristle and phosphor bronze brushes that go with it.
Regards
Peter.
gashtyke

#3 Post by gashtyke »

Why wouldn't you use a cleaning rod on a mauser?
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#4 Post by kennyc »

gashtyke wrote:Why wouldn't you use a cleaning rod on a mauser?
exactly, especially as the Mauser in service was designed with an integral cleaning rod (join 3 together) section, the No4 was expected in service to be cleaned with a pull through, but that was for expediency rather than any "need"
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

kennyc wrote:
exactly, especially as the Mauser in service was designed with an integral cleaning rod (join 3 together) section
I interpreted his post as meaning that he didn't want to use the integral cleaning rod to clean his Mauser (which of course unless you have 2 other sections to form a complete one you can't really use it)

I have no idea what make of cleaning rod I have, bought from my local RFD, and all the different jags, mops and brushes from the Pro-Shot range fit it OK for use in my Enfields, Mausers and my Uberti.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#6 Post by kennyc »

GeeRam wrote:
kennyc wrote:
exactly, especially as the Mauser in service was designed with an integral cleaning rod (join 3 together) section
I interpreted his post as meaning that he didn't want to use the integral cleaning rod to clean his Mauser (which of course unless you have 2 other sections to form a complete one you can't really use it)

I have no idea what make of cleaning rod I have, bought from my local RFD, and all the different jags, mops and brushes from the Pro-Shot range fit it OK for use in my Enfields, Mausers and my Uberti.
ah! rereading it I see your point, he couldn't anyway as it requires the rods from 2 more rifles to be long enough to do the job, I use a Parker Hale yellow rod, along with suitable end attachments, for on the range use I have a STGw57 cleaning kit that does for 7.5 and .308
Gerry939
Home club or Range: WNSC

#7 Post by Gerry939 »

Thanks for the advice looks like a Parker Hale yellow rod , have looked them up and is it the .270 and above, with the appropriate size jags and bronze brushes
Thanks
:flag6: Gerry939