Enforced idleness reaps dividends

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

ukrifleman
Past Supporter

Enforced idleness reaps dividends

#1 Post by ukrifleman »

SDC10786.JPG
I have owned a circa 1942 Australian Lithgow No.1 Mk.111* for a number of years and it has always had a problem with a tight spot on the bolt when I extracted a case.

I lapped the bolt body and receiver with fine grade valve grinding paste to smooth out the action which improved things a bit but the problem remained.

I did this some years ago and the rifle spent most of its time as a safe queen, only coming out the mandatory 3 times a year.

With all this enforced idleness of late, I decided to revisit the problem and finally found the cause and the solution!

I noticed that cases were being marked on one side near the base as they were extracted and my first thought was a rough surface in the chamber, which proved not to be the case.

Running out of ideas, I removed the extractor (original OA marked Australian) and measured it against a spare Fazakerly extractor I keep as a spare and found it was 0.010 thinner under the claw than the Aussie one.

I fitted the Fazakerly extractor and Bingo! problem solved, no more binding of the bolt.

The action is now as slick as a SMLE should be, definitely a `mad minute` contender now!

I was surprised that such a small difference in dimensions, would have such a big impact on the pressure brought to bare on the bolt causing it to bind up.

I am relieved that in the end it was an easy fix and am looking forward to more range time with this old warhorse, now that is more user friendly.

ukrifleman
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

Re: Enforced idleness reaps dividends

#2 Post by snayperskaya »

A good result, it’s nice when things come together and don’t really cost anything
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

A very good result and a nice looking rifle as well. I have a couple of .303 rifles to take out and shoot for the first time in the new year and sat down and made a reasonable amount of ammunition earlier this year, all labelled and fitted with O rings ready for the first firing of the brass. Roll on 2021.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#4 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:A very good result and a nice looking rifle as well. I have a couple of .303 rifles to take out and shoot for the first time in the new year and sat down and made a reasonable amount of ammunition earlier this year, all labelled and fitted with O rings ready for the first firing of the brass. Roll on 2021.
Might be a silly question but what are the O rings for?......

Edit......just read about it in the Shooting Shed Journal :good:

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

Ovenpaa

#5 Post by Ovenpaa »

:good:

They make a huge difference to fit and longevity and the process can be applied to most bottle necked rimmed cartridge cases.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#6 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote::good:

They make a huge difference to fit and longevity and the process can be applied to most bottle necked rimmed cartridge cases.
Am I looking at it wrong or is this more of a headspace issue?, I’ve not seen this with any of my Mosin chambers.If I was to add an O ring to my cases I don’t think my bolts would close.

Ovenpaa

#7 Post by Ovenpaa »

Beware the the term 'Headspace' - this is for generous chambers. The O ring holds the case head tight to the bolt face and you can use O rings sizes to suit. I have seen case head separation on multiple cartridges including 7,62x54R and half of me is of the opinion I should bin my brass before it gets to that state, the other half questions why on earth anyone would shoot a case that is stretched just above the rim and this applies to many cartridges.

A customer rang me in the week and mentioned a case head separation on a .243
/d

Shed Journal
snayperskaya
Past Supporter

#8 Post by snayperskaya »

Ovenpaa wrote:Beware the the term 'Headspace' - this is for generous chambers. The O ring holds the case head tight to the bolt face and you can use O rings sizes to suit. I have seen case head separation on multiple cartridges including 7,62x54R and half of me is of the opinion I should bin my brass before it gets to that state, the other half questions why on earth anyone would shoot a case that is stretched just above the rim and this applies to many cartridges.

A customer rang me in the week and mentioned a case head separation on a .243
Ah, I see :good: