1952 Fulton Regulated Lee Enfield No.4 Mk2

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Dark Skies
Home club or Range: NRA

1952 Fulton Regulated Lee Enfield No.4 Mk2

#1 Post by Dark Skies »

I'm having a bit of a think about my future shooting activities with a view to selling all my bolt action rifles and just shooting gallery under levers and BP revolvers. I'm trying to get an idea of the value of my rifles post lockdown.

As per the title I have a 1952 Fulton Regulated Lee Enfield No.4 Mk2.
It came with a PH5c aperture rear sight and a traditional blade foresight marked "PH".

It is a cracking rifle and mint, save for the aged darker patina of the wood (I think it's beech) as opposed to the much lighter wood you sometimes see from un-issued crated rifles. It's a very accurate shooter.
Currently it's fitted with a traditional Singer ladder rear sight. I just like the simple set up.

My questions are:

Does being stamped 'Regulated by Fulton ' add any significant value to the rifle over a bog standard No.4?
If so would it greatly reduce the value if I sold it with the ladder sight rather than the PH5c?
I was planning to sell the rear sight separately as they fetch around £200 + on their own.

Thanks in advance.
"I don't like my job and I don't think I'm gonna go anymore."
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: 1952 Fulton Regulated Lee Enfield No.4 Mk2

#2 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote:Does being stamped 'Regulated by Fulton ' add any significant value to the rifle over a bog standard No.4?
If so would it greatly reduce the value if I sold it with the ladder sight rather than the PH5c?
I don't think the fact that it's Fulton Regulated add's to value at all as such, to some people, it takes value away.
As ever it all depends on what the buyer is looking for.
Your rifle won't appeal to a Lee Enfield collector type, as its been modified from stock, but will appeal to a shooter for SR B, or more likely, these days someone looking to fit a no-gunsmith mount in place of the rear sight leaf to mount a scope.
As such, I think your right about selling the PH5 seperately.
Dark Skies

#3 Post by Dark Skies »

GeeRam wrote:
Dark Skies wrote:Does being stamped 'Regulated by Fulton ' add any significant value to the rifle over a bog standard No.4?
I don't think the fact that it's Fulton Regulated add's to value at all as such, to some people, it takes value away.
Your rifle won't appeal to a Lee Enfield collector type, as its been modified from stock, but will appeal to a shooter for SR B, or more likely, these days someone looking to fit a no-gunsmith mount in place of the rear sight leaf to mount a scope.
How do you mean modified from stock?
I'm not entirely sure what entails the regulation process. As far as I can tell it looks like any other No.4 Mk2.
I think the wood work may have been lightly relieved to give the barrel proper float. It's not evident from looking at it.
I've also heard 'Fulton regulated' might just mean a punter paid money to merely have it in their rack for a few weeks and handed back to them with a stamp on it. :)

The ladder sight is a simple swap out from the PH5c. What rear sight is fitted to a bog standard model?
I have a battle sight too, somewhere.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#4 Post by Alpha1 »

This post is useless without pictures.
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#5 Post by GeeRam »

Dark Skies wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
How do you mean modified from stock?
I'm not entirely sure what entails the regulation process. As far as I can tell it looks like any other No.4 Mk2.
I think the wood work may have been lightly relieved to give the barrel proper float. It's not evident from looking at it.
I've also heard 'Fulton regulated' might just mean a punter paid money to merely have it in their rack for a few weeks and handed back to them with a stamp on it. :)
Well, yes, that last point is certainly a possibility.... lol

But, like I said, if regulated for SR(b) and done 'back in the day', then its likely had quite a bit of work, including quite a bit of bedding work (poss centre bedded as well) foreend anchored to the action with screws, nosecap reamed out (as you mention) and sometimes the sling swivel fitted ahead of the mag in place of mil one. Sometimes you'll also see an extra half band fitted over the front hand guard.
The fact that its stamped Fulton Regulated on the receiver will mean it won't appeal to a LE collector.
They make bloody great shooters though, so ideal for someone looking for a No.4 that is only interested in it for shooting not as military stock LE.
Dark Skies

#6 Post by Dark Skies »

GeeRam wrote: But, like I said, if regulated for SR(b) and done 'back in the day', then its likely had quite a bit of work, including quite a bit of bedding work (poss centre bedded as well) foreend anchored to the action with screws, nosecap reamed out (as you mention) and sometimes the sling swivel fitted ahead of the mag in place of mil one. Sometimes you'll also see an extra half band fitted over the front hand guard.
The fact that its stamped Fulton Regulated on the receiver will mean it won't appeal to a LE collector.
They make bloody great shooters though, so ideal for someone looking for a No.4 that is only interested in it for shooting not as military stock LE.
Cheers for the info. I know what to look out for now.