Springfield Trapdoors, what to look out for?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

James84

Re: Springfield Trapdoors, what to look out for?

#11 Post by James84 »

Picked up the Trapdoor this week. The bore is pretty good, which was my main focus as this is a shooter. I think I will ask for a slot to get another for collector/occasional shooting purposes in the future, as this one is certainly not as good as those that Al sells on his site. Overal condition is fair/good. The stock still has the cartouche but has seen a lot of use. A few dinks but no cracks or splits anywhere. The lockplate and breechblock are both 1873-dated, so it has a 2-position hammer. Probably swapped onto the rifle as I don't believe any 88s were made with 73-marked parts but maybe I am wrong... Otherwise, it is full 1888 spec with Buffington sight, RRB, the sight cover, correct sling swivel mount and the cleaning kit in the butt, it is just curious about the breech and lock but for the price I paid and the shooting I intend to do with it, I am very pleased! It is just one of the 'grubbier' rifles I own but it all adds to the charm :D
WhatsApp Image 2021-09-23 at 09.51.47.jpeg
Musclebob

Re: Springfield Trapdoors, what to look out for?

#12 Post by Musclebob »

I suspect that it's likely to be a parts gun if it has 1873 lockplate and breechblock. Is there a door in the buttplate? 1888 stocks and buttplates have a cover that opens into which the combination tool and case extractor and cleaning rod head lived. If it doesn't have that, then it's not an 1888 stock, in which case it is most definitely a parts rifle.

As long as it locks up postively, then it will shoot fine, not MOA, but if you are doing 4" or so at 100, you're doing about as well as they were designed to do.

Al has some nice toys, I am looking for a carbine now...