Destroyer carbine...value?

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

Destroyer carbine...value?

#1 Post by Sandgroper »

I have a Destroyer Carbine, dated 1954, which I've owned for about 10 years, although the picture below only shows 1 magazine, I have 6 in total.
Destroyer4 (2017_06_01 05_32_02 UTC).jpg
Although, I'm not planning on selling it at the moment, I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas on it's current value...thanks in advance!
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
spikedueller
Home club or Range: Minsterly

Re: Destroyer carbine...value?

#2 Post by spikedueller »

These are a very underrated firearm, low recoil, cheap to shoot and make a much more interesting "gallery" rifle than a lever action.

Prices seem to vary in the UK, Arundel Militaria sold one for £295 whilst CW Classic Arms sold one for £395. Like most things it will depend on if someone really wants one (if you handle and shoot one you will find an inexplicable urge to find an excuse for one).

Undoubtedly it will increase in value as they aren't making anymore and when I look at the price of SMLE's and No 4's now even with inflation compared to my younger days, nothing is getting cheaper.
Sandgroper

#3 Post by Sandgroper »

spikedueller wrote:These are a very underrated firearm, low recoil, cheap to shoot and make a much more interesting "gallery" rifle than a lever action.

Prices seem to vary in the UK, Arundel Militaria sold one for £295 whilst CW Classic Arms sold one for £395. Like most things it will depend on if someone really wants one (if you handle and shoot one you will find an inexplicable urge to find an excuse for one).

Undoubtedly it will increase in value as they aren't making anymore and when I look at the price of SMLE's and No 4's now even with inflation compared to my younger days, nothing is getting cheaper.
Thanks for that, it's pretty much what I thought...I have the one that Arundel sold, BTW.
It's not a rifle I would give up easily, but as my wife and I have decided to return to the southern hemisphere (Aust or NZ) within the next few years, I may have to give it up.

Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#4 Post by Scrumbag »

Always thought they looked fun little things.

Scrummy
GlockworkOrange
Home club or Range: Parkstone Gun Club

#5 Post by GlockworkOrange »

They don't come up for sale often at all so I reckon you could make some money. Guess it just comes down to how many people want one at the time you want to sell. I've fancied one in the past, I'd consider paying up to £500 for one personally, but I do have a thing for pistol-calibre carbines.
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#6 Post by poll007 »

I'm with Glockwork on this. I do have a hankering to pick up a more unusual pistol carbine.
I suppose the tricky part with a destroyer is getting the right slot and then sourcing the ammo.
The problem for someone like would be that it really needs to be handloaded for as I don't think you can get factory 9x23 or 38ACP in the UK
Sandgroper

#7 Post by Sandgroper »

Only just saw the last few posts...
£500-600 was what I was thinking for value but as said previously the buyer has to be there.
poll007 wrote:I'm with Glockwork on this. I do have a hankering to pick up a more unusual pistol carbine.
I suppose the tricky part with a destroyer is getting the right slot and then sourcing the ammo.
The problem for someone like would be that it really needs to be handloaded for as I don't think you can get factory 9x23 or 38ACP in the UK
I handload mine...started with 38 Super brass (it is slightly too short), then got the rims turned down on some of that brass and now have some 9mm Largo brass to play with. In theory you can use 9x23mm brass but don't use 9x23mm load data...far too hot. Actually, finding load data is the hardest part, I use 38 Super data, slightly underpowered but does the job. As for the slot, I have it listed as a 9mm rifle - been like that for the last 12 or so years.

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#8 Post by mikygpu »

Sandgroper wrote:I have a Destroyer Carbine, dated 1954, which I've owned for about 10 years, although the picture below only shows 1 magazine, I have 6 in total.
Although, I'm not planning on selling it at the moment, I'd like to know if anyone has any ideas on it's current value...thanks in advance!
Where did you get it?
I am after one for a looooong time
And some other at my club.
poll007 wrote:I'm with Glockwork on this. I do have a hankering to pick up a more unusual pistol carbine.
Ammo is not that hard to get. I just sold few hundreds on Southams auction.
And if it takes 9x23, it can take 9x19 too. And that is plenty in EU ready to be imported because EU has banned it all 9x19. That's why me and some fellow shooters at club want it. There was a guy making 9mm Luger carbines but he sold the land under his workshop to a developer for flats and all the tools to a manufacturer in EU. Cashed in and retired.
Sandgroper wrote:I have a Destroyer Carbine, dated 1954, which I've owned for about 10 years, although the picture below only shows 1 magazine, I have 6 in total.
There is one for sale in EU for 400 Euros. So it would come to £500-£600 with import charges and transport.
That would be your base to start your price.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
poll007
Past Supporter

#9 Post by poll007 »

Sandgroper wrote:Only just saw the last few posts...
£500-600 was what I was thinking for value but as said previously the buyer has to be there.
I handload mine...started with 38 Super brass (it is slightly too short), then got the rims turned down on some of that brass and now have some 9mm Largo brass to play with. In theory you can use 9x23mm brass but don't use 9x23mm load data...far too hot. Actually, finding load data is the hardest part, I use 38 Super data, slightly underpowered but does the job. As for the slot, I have it listed as a 9mm rifle - been like that for the last 12 or so years.
I had thought these were chambered for 9x23mm Largo originally so it would be surprising if the loads were too hot (though there are other 9x23mm cartridges as well). I know there are some rechambered for 9x19mm.

I feel Kent police at least wouldn't be happy with just 9mm as a slot-they would want the chambering too.
poll007
Past Supporter

#10 Post by poll007 »

Ammo is not that hard to get. I just sold few hundreds on Southams auction.
And if it takes 9x23, it can take 9x19 too. And that is plenty in EU ready to be imported because EU has banned it all 9x19. That's why me and some fellow shooters at club want it. There was a guy making 9mm Luger carbines but he sold the land under his workshop to a developer for flats and all the tools to a manufacturer in EU. Cashed in and retired.[/quote]

Where did you manage to source the ammo out of interest before then selling it?

I wouldn't necessarily use standard 9x19mm in an unmodified destroyer (unless it was one of the ones chambered for it). there have been inserts made for them but I have at least heard stories of people having issues using 9x19mm ammo in 9x23mm Largo chambers. but then I'm working on hear say and not practical experience.