Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

Re: Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper?

#21 Post by GeeRam »

Mauserbill wrote:Hello
Late war K98 rifles were often assembled with various omissions as the wars end became inevitable.
No Bayonet lug, no cleaning rod, various types of front band, wooden screws, no bolt take down discs all due to attempts too speed up production and a severe lack of resources, the situation became dire as last ditch rifles became ever more drastic in manufacture techniques.
The OP's rifle isn't a late war 'Kriegsmodell' K98, its a 1940 made by Mauser Werke AG in their Berlin-Borsigwalde factory. Being an O block serial, probably makes it a late summer 1940 production.
My K98k is same year from the same factory, but made about 4 months before.
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Re: Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

#22 Post by mikygpu »

DanTheMan wrote:
mikygpu wrote: I'll source scope mounts to match the holes and mount a scope. It shoots well as plain K98 too, and even better with reloads.
Before you do that, be careful as the recoil lugs position (crossbolt) in your one and only pic shows that there is failed wood just behind the recoil lug so all the recoil force is now on the wrist. It will likely crack the butt stock shortly if it's not already done so. D&B have a load of spare stocks, or maybe you can get yours repaired before it totally destroys itself. It's V common - my K98 is on it's third stock, found it was cheaper to buy a deact and swap stocks.
Can you point me to D&B please?
thankssign
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
GeeRam

#23 Post by GeeRam »

mikygpu wrote:
DanTheMan wrote:
mikygpu wrote: I'll source scope mounts to match the holes and mount a scope. It shoots well as plain K98 too, and even better with reloads.
Before you do that, be careful as the recoil lugs position (crossbolt) in your one and only pic shows that there is failed wood just behind the recoil lug so all the recoil force is now on the wrist. It will likely crack the butt stock shortly if it's not already done so. D&B have a load of spare stocks, or maybe you can get yours repaired before it totally destroys itself. It's V common - my K98 is on it's third stock, found it was cheaper to buy a deact and swap stocks.
Can you point me to D&B please?
thankssign
Google D&B Militaria
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Re: Mauser K98 1940

#24 Post by mikygpu »

dromia wrote:
mikygpu wrote:No matter what I do, this is the message I get from all jpg files I try to load.
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that you are trying to upload tiff files not jpegs as is shown in your failed posts.

The only one that is visible is indeed a jpeg file.
Tiff loads up fine, it shows on my end without a problem, but it doesn’t show up on anyone else’s computer. Jpeg doesn’t load and I keep getting that message.
Somehow I managed to get one jpeg that loads, but I have no idea how. I have downloaded all pictures from Nikon via its cable and then duplicated them, 1st in tiff, then in jpeg and adjusted size. Since the only 1 picture loaded, I have tried everything: duplicate, save, export, resize original. I was up until 1am last night and still no joy.
I just moved to Mac from Windows and all modifications I did on Mac. I’ll fire up the old windows machine and try to do in there, see if I can load up. Otherwise I’ll have to take pictures with my ipad or boing again as they seem to load up fine.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#25 Post by Mauserbill »

the OP's rifle isn't a late war 'Kriegsmodell' K98, its a 1940 made by Mauser Werke AG in their Berlin-Borsigwalde factory. Being an O block serial, probably makes it a late summer 1940 production.
My K98k is same year from the same factory, but made about 4 months before.[/quote]

Hello
Never said it was, the picture I saw was a DOT 1944 with late war front stamped and welded barrel band.
just making a comment.
mikygpu

#26 Post by mikygpu »

Mauserbill wrote:Hello
Late war K98 rifles were often assembled with various omissions as the wars end became inevitable.
No Bayonet lug, no cleaning rod, various types of front band, wooden screws, no bolt take down discs all due to attempts too speed up production and a severe lack of resources, the situation became dire as last ditch rifles became ever more drastic in manufacture techniques.
thankssign
Socrates

I am here to learn!
mikygpu

#27 Post by mikygpu »

Like I said, it looks like it is a newer stock. As far as I know my ZB24, it looks like a zb24 stock.
I remember during 1980’s, my father had to go once a month (I was between 5 to 9 years old then) to Patriotic Guards (Home Guards here??) trainings and they all had to shoot a fix amount of rounds. If this rifle has that history, it is possible that it had the stock changed.
That will change too as I found and bought the bayonet lug and the cleaning rod.
Thanks to GeeRam, I will source a “period” stock.
All I need is to solve the drilled holes problem, source a pair of rings or a side mount, and a correct scope.
I would like to have an original Ajack scope, but the one at Southams - which was a G98 model - went for over £600 hammer price. Add to that the 23-25 % commission and the scope becomes prohibitive.
There are other few on ebay but they are located in Bulgaria and other eastern block countries - and not sure to trust the item and the sale.
That’s why I have asked here: Original or replica.

In terms of accuracy, to my surprise, at 600 yards with some corrections I hit the target. Once I worked out “windage” - aim off against the wind -and the 600 rear sight correction - more 700 as I had military surplus with me, not my reloads - I started to register all hits on target. There were no V bulls, not even all 5’s, but it varied on 9 up down left and right. I must mention I am more accustomed to dioptre sights and scopes. Last time when I shoot with this sight was in army in 1999-2000, with an AKM type Romanian pm 7.62x39 and we had to hit a human sized figure at about 100m. Not much of a challenge, we were hitting it even when we shoot like Rambo in movies with the rifle under arm.
At Bisley I go for electronic targets and sometime those don’t register the shot.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
mikygpu

#28 Post by mikygpu »

And from windosw machine...
Attachments
DSC_0165 copy.jpg
Socrates

I am here to learn!
GeeRam

#29 Post by GeeRam »

mikygpu wrote:Like I said, it looks like it is a newer stock. As far as I know my ZB24, it looks like a zb24 stock.
I remember during 1980’s, my father had to go once a month (I was between 5 to 9 years old then) to Patriotic Guards (Home Guards here??) trainings and they all had to shoot a fix amount of rounds. If this rifle has that history, it is possible that it had the stock changed.
That will change too as I found and bought the bayonet lug and the cleaning rod.
Thanks to GeeRam, I will source a “period” stock.
All I need is to solve the drilled holes problem, source a pair of rings or a side mount, and a correct scope.
I would like to have an original Ajack scope, but the one at Southams - which was a G98 model - went for over £600 hammer price. Add to that the 23-25 % commission and the scope becomes prohibitive.
There are other few on ebay but they are located in Bulgaria and other eastern block countries - and not sure to trust the item and the sale.
That’s why I have asked here: Original or replica.
Can't help with the stock as you haven't put up a photo of the whole rifle to see if it is or isn't. The small sections you can see, it looks like a normal 'red' laminate WW2 era German stock though?

If you fit a SSR or LSR side mount you will still see the old drillings in the receiver, so maybe best to go for a low or high turret mount set, which wont fit those existing drillings but will hide them. Accumounts also do a split rings set of high turrets if you choose to go for a post war vintage style scope rather than a correct WW2 era German scope.
Accumounts seem to be no longer selling their repro Zf.39 scope, as their website has had it *out of stock* for well over 18 months now, so your choice will be either original or post war vintage style scope as per Mauserbill's suggestion in an earlier post.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#30 Post by Ovenpaa »

If this is a Soviet capture I would have expected the waffenamt to have been scrubbed or defaced.

Therefore..... :)
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal