Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

#1 Post by mikygpu »

I don't know if I have asked here or in another forum.
I have a K98 with Waffen and 1940 markings on it. There are some marking that looks like "SS" but looks like they have been partially erased. I have tried even hi definition picture with my Nikon and when the flash goes off the picture is actually worst, and when it doesn't the markings can barely be seen. It could also be markings of German proof house.
It has been drilled for scope, and my guess is that it has been drilled for SS issued snipers with scope on 2x individual rings which makes it pre Wehrmacht issued sniper K98 with scope on side mounts.

I want to install an original scope. Rings seem to be next to impossible to be found, so I'll go with replicas
The question is: Do I go for original or do I go for replica scope?
The price for an original is next to prohibitive and in a long term, would it make any sense, considering this is my personal rifle and I want to keep it.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

Re: Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

#2 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
I use Accumounts (USA) there reproduction mounts are exceptional, I have fitted the following Short side rail/ Long side rail and both low and high turret sets, I tend to use the German Pecar 4x twin zero all steel blued scopes as an alternative to original pre and WW2 single zero scope types (Now getting extremely expensive). The original scopes are a bit of a faff setting up because of the single zero adjustment, and I have found that the lateral adjustment on the mounts is difficult compared to the twin zero set up. For the same reason I much prefer a moving reticule on the scope. Depends on what you feel is right for you and how much you want to spend ?.
PS
Beware Canadian and Chinese copy mounts they are crap !
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#3 Post by GeeRam »

mikygpu wrote:I don't know if I have asked here or in another forum.
I have a K98 with Waffen and 1940 markings on it. There are some marking that looks like "SS" but looks like they have been partially erased.

It has been drilled for scope, and my guess is that it has been drilled for SS issued snipers with scope on 2x individual rings which makes it pre Wehrmacht issued sniper K98 with scope on side mounts.
If real SS, and on a 1940 dated K98 (you don't state the maker?) it would be Objective Mount *if* real.

You'd need to try and identify the mount type by the drillings to know whether its likely a real SS depot build, given 98% of all SS sniper's are fake.

*if* objective mount, and real, it would have most likely been a Hendsolt Wetzler Dialytan x4 scope or an Ajack scope.

If you are trying to re-use the scope drillings you need to try and identify the scope base type and if it is an objective mount you won't find repro objective mounts. You'll be looking for originals.

However the chances of it being a real SS depot build objective mount sniper are pretty slim.
DanTheMan
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Weybridge

#4 Post by DanTheMan »

mikygpu wrote:I have tried even hi definition picture with my Nikon and when the flash goes off the picture is actually worst, and when it doesn't the markings can barely be seen. It could also be markings of German proof house.
Forget your flash, stick your Nikon on aperture priority with 3 clicks (+1) of over exposure using a tripod and come back to us with a nice pic

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Re: Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper?

#5 Post by mikygpu »

DanTheMan wrote:
mikygpu wrote:I have tried even hi definition picture with my Nikon and when the flash goes off the picture is actually worst, and when it doesn't the markings can barely be seen. It could also be markings of German proof house.
Forget your flash, stick your Nikon on aperture priority with 3 clicks (+1) of over exposure using a tripod and come back to us with a nice pic

looking at your picture vs my rifle I see some discrepancies.
My rifle stock seem to be later model or post war. It is missing bayonet lug and cleaning rod. So it looks like a made up rifle.
Anyway, I'll put a scope on it.
But I still can't attach any files here. I have tried .jpg and .nef. NEF is accepted but max file is 2mb. I'll try to reduce them and see what happens.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
mikygpu

#6 Post by mikygpu »

Pictures... max size 2mb
Attachments
DSC_0169-1.tiff
DSC_0169-1.tiff (1.83 MiB) Viewed 168489 times
DSC_0165 copy.tiff
DSC_0165 copy.tiff (1.83 MiB) Viewed 168489 times
DSC_0164 copy.jpg
Socrates

I am here to learn!
mikygpu

#7 Post by mikygpu »

Other set of pictures
Attachments
DSC_0177 copy.tiff
DSC_0177 copy.tiff (1.83 MiB) Viewed 168489 times
DSC_0176 copy.tiff
DSC_0176 copy.tiff (1.83 MiB) Viewed 168489 times
DSC_0171 copy.tiff
DSC_0171 copy.tiff (1.83 MiB) Viewed 168489 times
Socrates

I am here to learn!
mikygpu

#8 Post by mikygpu »

And some more pictures
Attachments
DSC_0180 copy.tiff
DSC_0180 copy.tiff (1.83 MiB) Viewed 168488 times
DSC_0179 copy.tiff
DSC_0179 copy.tiff (1.83 MiB) Viewed 168488 times
Socrates

I am here to learn!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#9 Post by GeeRam »

Only one photo is showing for me (the only jpeg file) but its enough to show that its a Russian Capture K98k.
mikygpu

#10 Post by mikygpu »

GeeRam wrote:Only one photo is showing for me, but its enough to show that its a Russian Capture K98k.
Give it time, it will load up all pictures :-)
What is a Russian Capture K98k?
I'll add one picture at the time per each of my replies.
Attachments
DSC_0180 copy.tiff
DSC_0180 copy.tiff (1.83 MiB) Viewed 168487 times
Socrates

I am here to learn!