Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

#41 Post by dromia »

Do we really need more photographs of yet another fake k98 sniper.
There are more k98 sniper rifles about now than were ever made during WW2.
Which no doubt shows that gun buying fools are still being born every minute.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Christel
Site Admin

#42 Post by Christel »

Reduce the pixel size. Simple as :)
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#43 Post by GeeRam »

dromia wrote:Do we really need more photographs of yet another fake k98 sniper.
Its ok if said items are not being sold as real when they come up for sale. Many of us want scoped rifles because we are old and the old peepers are now crap!!!

Its when they are faked and then sold as real at inflated 'collector' prices that it becomes an issue, and so becomes 'buyer beware'.

Some are good enough fakes to fool many an 'expert' RFD as well, there's one such example currently for sale in the UK right now.
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#44 Post by mikygpu »

With almost every stamp the German's used pretty now available on the open market, faked restamps are the plague of K98k buying and are all over the place.
Why some Soviet captures have been very well scrubbed of markings and other left totally intact is still a mystery. Could be down to different factories that did the work, or any reason lost in the mysteries of the Soviet Bloc.
IDF used K98k's on the other hand, for obvious reasons, were all very well scrubbed and peened of any Waff's.
Something to do with factions in Red Army?

A historian in my country once said that there were fractions in Red Army that had different opinions in how to deal with after war things. And each faction did their own thing.
The Cozacs and Mongols were savages while other "more educated" were almost like Germans. For instance, my grandma (mid country) remembered that the Germans gave them chocolate, Russians took everything eatable and gave them beatings.
In N Romania, the "liberation" forces were so savage that my grandma (in Bucovina at the time) had to hide in mountains with her children. In S Romania the "liberation" forces were almost as civilised as Germans, as my wife's grandma told her.

Russia and Russians are a mystery even today. The vast distances and difference in populations makes it as that. It is like here, the differences from Cornwall to Isle of Skye, only 100 times more.

It is nearly impossible to verify a rifle's history after it was made in 1940, saw the war action and went behind iron curtain for 50 years. There is a well documented one in Romanian national museum - or at least it was in 1986 when I have visited it - and if it is still there, it has the whole history written as a curator had it from war time and donated it to the museum.
That visit made me to want to own one, because the history of it.
I wish for a rifle like that.
But for now, we have what we have and I am happy to shoot my 8mm Mauser at Bisley and show it off against Mossins and Lee-Enfield. I would like to have one of those too, and a Springfield, but they go for too much money. O:-)
Attachments
DSC_0178 copy.jpg
DSC_0173 copy.jpg
DSC_0172 copy.jpg
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#45 Post by mikygpu »

Some more pictures.
I have figured out why.. with the help of Christel - it is the Rez: Max 1500 pixels.
Attachments
DSC_0180 copy.jpg
DSC_0177 copy2.jpg
DSC_0182 copy.jpg
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#46 Post by Ovenpaa »

It looks to have been fitted with commercial mounts at some time. Sad to see :(
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#47 Post by dromia »

GeeRam wrote:
Its ok if said items are not being sold as real when they come up for sale. Many of us want scoped rifles because we are old and the old peepers are now crap!!!

Its when they are faked and then sold as real at inflated 'collector' prices that it becomes an issue, and so becomes 'buyer beware'.

Some are good enough fakes to fool many an 'expert' RFD as well, there's one such example currently for sale in the UK right now.
Absolutely!

The OP was obviously duped!

Going by his thread title he obviously thought he had the real thing. Here`s hoping he didn`t pay real prices.

`Twould be interesting to know from whence it came, what `twas advertised as and for how much?

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

mikygpu

#48 Post by mikygpu »

So this is a fake K98 or a fake K98 Sniper?
On checking the SN's, it seemed real K98, made in 1940 in Germany.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
dromia
Site Admin

#49 Post by dromia »

Read that which is written.

I never said `twas a fake k98.

You are the one that claimed that a butchered, Russian capture k98 was an original "SS" k98 "sniper" rifle.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#50 Post by Ovenpaa »

Just not built as sniper rifle by the German war machine 1939-45.

I have two Mauser 'sniper' rifles in the armoury right now, both are in for work, one is fairly nice, neither are original. I can also think of one Kar98k with an original war time issue 'scope and original war time bracket. It was put together quite recently and is reputed to owe the builder 15K right now, is is a late production sniper or a fake? They were not great rifles at the best of times, I am lucky enough to shot two original versions whilst in DK, one was found in a kitchen ceiling during a restoration and shot well at 300m, the other one not so well. Both were German owned. I offered my 4(T) for them to try and they both declined, he only English words they spoke was one said 'I think rifle loves you' Probably one of the nicest compliments I have ever received.

By all means build a replica, just tell people it is a replica and make sure future generations can never be mistaken.Like my P14 fine vernier rear sights being built on Eddystone donors, it never happened )
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal