Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

Re: Mauser K98 1940 former WaffenSS sniper

#51 Post by mikygpu »

dromia wrote:
GeeRam wrote:
dromia wrote:Do we really need more photographs of yet another fake k98 sniper.
There are more k98 sniper rifles about now than were ever made during WW2.
Which no doubt shows that gun buying fools are still being born every minute.
Its ok if said items are not being sold as real when they come up for sale. Many of us want scoped rifles because we are old and the old peepers are now crap!!!

Its when they are faked and then sold as real at inflated 'collector' prices that it becomes an issue, and so becomes 'buyer beware'.

Some are good enough fakes to fool many an 'expert' RFD as well, there's one such example currently for sale in the UK right now.
Absolutely!

The OP was obviously duped!

Going by his thread title he obviously thought he had the real thing. Here`s hoping he didn`t pay real prices.

`Twould be interesting to know from whence it came, what `twas advertised as and for how much?
I assumed it was a former sniper due to drilled holes. I never considered that in West a K98 would be made in a sporting stock or mount a normal set of rails / rings for normal scopes. I always thought that this rifles, being so hard to come by now days, they would be preserved for their historic value.
Obviously, coming from a country were selling a fake is a criminal offence with 5 to 15 years prison sentence, I never thought it will be sold as real K98 when it is not.
It wasn't advertised as K98 sniper, it was advertised simply as Mauser K98 7.92cal. Description mentioned 1940, serial number, German Eagle. But it also mentioned drilled holes with the word "unfortunately" at the end. Maybe that should have been a hint? I bought it in a Scots auction and now I'll go back to Mike to start tracing back the origins of this rifle, for my own curiosity.
I think I paid around £450 with commission and all, and, at the time, I considered to be a good price for a simple K98, considering that a Mauser FN 7.92 Carbine made in Belgium sold for £150 at Southams.
The duping probably belongs to me and my own mind after I got home and I have started looking for more info about K98. Loads of info on net, hard to decide what is true and what is not.
Clearly I have loads to learn in terms of historic rifles before I'll buy a Lee-Enfield, Springfield and Mossin Nagant.
And that is why I came to this forum.... to learn.

As Ovenpaa said, it is hard to spot a fake. Don't know if he was referring to k98 sniper or just k98 fakes. However, the problem here (i.e. UK) is that there is no Gov backed expertise to go to in cases like this. In Ro we have a National Institute of History where to go and get expert advice on historical things. They will issue a certificate that will be trusted when coming to selling something like this.

And after all, I have only 2 year experience as dealer, 5 years experience as target shooter and 20 years experience as Project Manager. 8-) O:-)

Thanks for everything. :good:
thankssign
goodjob
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#52 Post by mikygpu »

Ovenpaa wrote:Just not built as sniper rifle by the German war machine 1939-45.

I have two Mauser 'sniper' rifles in the armoury right now, both are in for work, one is fairly nice, neither are original. I can also think of one Kar98k with an original war time issue 'scope and original war time bracket. It was put together quite recently and is reputed to owe the builder 15K right now, is is a late production sniper or a fake? They were not great rifles at the best of times, I am lucky enough to shot two original versions whilst in DK, one was found in a kitchen ceiling during a restoration and shot well at 300m, the other one not so well. Both were German owned. I offered my 4(T) for them to try and they both declined, he only English words they spoke was one said 'I think rifle loves you' Probably one of the nicest compliments I have ever received.

By all means build a replica, just tell people it is a replica and make sure future generations can never be mistaken.Like my P14 fine vernier rear sights being built on Eddystone donors, it never happened )
I am with you, even if it has rear sights up to 2000, I doubt it will go past 600. Maybe to a 1000 yards if I develop a load to push the head to be supersonic at that distance. VV app, Hornady or Lyman reloading manuals don't seem to have a load to push a head to be supersonic at that distance. So it will be trial and error.

The idea behind scope now is to shoot it more comfortable as my eyes are giving up. But being a K98 it will look odd if I stick one of my modern scopes on, so I'll go with replicas from USA.

If I build a replica I will always say it is a replica. I will state the origin of the rile, now that I know it is a former Russian capture. I'll assume that the German Eagle was either re-stamped or never scraped off.

It was great learning post and now I know a lot more about K98 than I knew before.

thankssign
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#53 Post by GeeRam »

Ovenpaa wrote:It looks to have been fitted with commercial mounts at some time. Sad to see :(
Yes, that's why I suggested a set of low or high turret mounts, as they should hide the commercial drillings.
GeeRam

#54 Post by GeeRam »

mikygpu wrote: On checking the SN's, it seemed real K98, made in 1940 in Germany.
Yes, see my earlier post.

I have a K98k made in the same factory, just a few months before yours was made.

The stock looks to be a wartime German red laminate one, just a later manufactured one, as it has the cupped buttplate, whereas a 1940 rifle would have had the earlier flat buttplate.

Take the buttplate off, and see if it still has the stock makers codes and date ink stamped on it. You maybe lucky, some have some haven't, and also, it should be date stamped inside the barrel channel as well.
GeeRam

#55 Post by GeeRam »

mikygpu wrote: But being a K98 it will look odd if I stick one of my modern scopes on, so I'll go with replicas from USA.
There were two repro scopes on sale in USA, the one from Accumounts, and the one from Red Star Mountain.

As I mentioned earlier, the Accumounts one hasn't been available for over 18 months, but by all accounts, it was OK as a scope, but its not known whether there will be any more made.

The Red Star Mountain one is a cheap piece of Chinese tat, and are an utter waste of money.
mikygpu

#56 Post by mikygpu »

Many Thanks GeeRam for all the advice and info you gave me thankssign thankssign thankssign goodjob

I'll try to get a stock that will allow cleaning rod and bayonet lug and I'll keep it as my collection.
If I don't find a decent replica scope, I might give it to a welder to fill and weld the holes and I'll reblue the action and re-stamp it to make it back closer to original state.
This rifle is part of my historical collection and it will go when I leave the country, unless I'll have the ability to take it with me and keep it.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#57 Post by dromia »

mikygpu wrote: I assumed it was a former sniper due to drilled holes. I never considered that in West a K98 would be made in a sporting stock or mount a normal set of rails / rings for normal scopes. I always thought that this rifles, being so hard to come by now days, they would be preserved for their historic value.
Obviously, coming from a country were selling a fake is a criminal offence with 5 to 15 years prison sentence, I never thought it will be sold as real K98 when it is not.
It wasn't advertised as K98 sniper, it was advertised simply as Mauser K98 7.92cal. Description mentioned 1940, serial number, German Eagle. But it also mentioned drilled holes with the word "unfortunately" at the end. Maybe that should have been a hint? I bought it in a Scots auction and now I'll go back to Mike to start tracing back the origins of this rifle, for my own curiosity.
I think I paid around £450 with commission and all, and, at the time, I considered to be a good price for a simple K98, considering that a Mauser FN 7.92 Carbine made in Belgium sold for £150 at Southams.
The duping probably belongs to me and my own mind after I got home and I have started looking for more info about K98. Loads of info on net, hard to decide what is true and what is not.
Clearly I have loads to learn in terms of historic rifles before I'll buy a Lee-Enfield, Springfield and Mossin Nagant.
And that is why I came to this forum.... to learn.

As Ovenpaa said, it is hard to spot a fake. Don't know if he was referring to k98 sniper or just k98 fakes. However, the problem here (i.e. UK) is that there is no Gov backed expertise to go to in cases like this. In Ro we have a National Institute of History where to go and get expert advice on historical things. They will issue a certificate that will be trusted when coming to selling something like this.

And after all, I have only 2 year experience as dealer, 5 years experience as target shooter and 20 years experience as Project Manager.

Thanks for everything.
Aye the internet. The bane of the modern world.

Populated by opinions and dubious information all wrapped up in chimeric waffle totally bereft of integrity and moral values. Thus creating instant "experts".

It can never supply the knowledge and wisdom required to make any sense of the little veritable information therein and place any noesis or meaningful value on such an assemblage.

Combine that with naivety and stupidity, it becomes an exercise of total futility. All it manages with aplomb is to magnify the baseness of the human condition.

Scot Arms is not know as "Scrap Arms" in the trade for no reason.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
mikygpu

#58 Post by mikygpu »

Well, you are right dromia

(This will be a bit of drift off topic, but...)

Here it is a question about that: What make anyone expert in anything in this country?

20 years in and I am still baffled by this: Everyone is expert in everything. And I don’t refer only to gunsmith or guns. But here I am in particular to that.
If you want to be a doctor, you go to med school. But if you want to be a mechanic engineer, where do you go?
If you want to be an expert in antique guns, where do you go to be schooled?
I’ve seen ppl claiming (because from now it will always be that - claiming) they know this and they know that, and they are experts on this and that.
Springfield, Mossin rifles, Nagant revolvers, you name it, they are all experts in it. But where is the backing of that with diploma or schooling?
Polytechnic school in England was one of the most sought after. Before 1914 and between 1918 and 1939, many Ro engineers who build bridges or designed things that lasted went either to English school of engineering, either to German one.
One of our iron bridge was build by the same guy who builded an Iron Bridge here in England. Obviously, our was 1st so he can test how it works, but nevertheless, the bridge is still in use today.
Even Gogu Constantinescu studied, worked and died here, and his theories, developed as result of English polytechnic schooling, drives all automatic cars.
I’ve googled Polytechnic school in England and I got a wiki page which says: “It was”.
So, what makes someone expert in doing anything? Or knowing of anything?
For gun build is easy, you have Proof House. But for anything else?
Socrates

I am here to learn!
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#59 Post by dromia »

Modern education is no longer about knowledge and developing minds. It is now a bought bought commodity in the form of an all but meaningless "qualification".

The proof houses are nothing but avaricious self serving monopolies that do nothing to serve the gun trade, firearm owners or firearms safety.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
GeeRam

#60 Post by GeeRam »

mikygpu wrote: I am with you, even if it has rear sights up to 2000, I doubt it will go past 600.
Wanna bet!
1000 easily with WW2 era s.S-Patrone 7.92x57 ammo.

Check out this 9 Hole video of range testing his repro-sniper built up K98k out to 1100yrds.