Firearms and Artifacts, Battle Of The Little Bighorn

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

Bryan Austin

Firearms and Artifacts, Battle Of The Little Bighorn

#1 Post by Bryan Austin »

I thought I would try this again.

I found it interesting that during my research into firearms artifacts discovered at the battle site, quite a few research enthusiasts were in the UK. This topic is not about who did what a why and how, but only about the actual artifacts found.

I had an interest on putting together some sort of program that shows a somewhat pattern on where organized fighting may have taken place. I think it worked.

The troops are reported as only being armed with the 45-55-405 cartridges for rifles and the 45 Colt for revolvers. I have yet to map out the 45 Colt items. The warriors are reported as having quite a few firearms of which most were 44 Henry's/Winchester 66's, a few 73's and the big bore 50-70's. Of course the warriors took the 45-70's and Colts off their victims when they could.

The information I have is based on the archaeological finds from 1894 to 2004. If you think the information is incorrect, take it up with those guys!

There is no volume on the video!

Christel
Site Admin

Re: Firearms and Artifacts, Battle Of The Little Bighorn

#2 Post by Christel »

Good effort :good:

We have quite a few underlever/revolver/US battle enthusiasts here in the UK.

One of our club members had one of the biggest Winchester collections in the UK, the collection was from time to time on loan to various museums, he had guns the US didn't.
Not sure what happened to the collection when he died.

Annie Oakley spent a lot of time here - https://www.thefield.co.uk/country-hous ... kley-41332
Quite an inspiration on many fronts.
Bryan Austin

#3 Post by Bryan Austin »

Christel wrote:Good effort :good:

We have quite a few underlever/revolver/US battle enthusiasts here in the UK.

One of our club members had one of the biggest Winchester collections in the UK, the collection was from time to time on loan to various museums, he had guns the US didn't.
Not sure what happened to the collection when he died.

Annie Oakley spent a lot of time here - https://www.thefield.co.uk/country-hous ... kley-41332
Quite an inspiration on many fronts.
Very interesting, thank you for that information
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#4 Post by Ovenpaa »

Bryan, this is superb research and the sort of thing that appeals to me, thank you for publishing it.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Bryan Austin

#5 Post by Bryan Austin »

Ovenpaa wrote:Bryan, this is superb research and the sort of thing that appeals to me, thank you for publishing it.
Thanks, glad someone is enjoying them. I am in the middle of learning. I also marked what grave markers I could find. I know that these are only markers and do not accurately mark actual kill sites in most cases. It is a work in progress.
Gravemarkers.jpg
GravesMarkedCBF.png
micken
Home club or Range: Yorkshire Shooting Centre, Huddersfield

#6 Post by micken »

Thanks for sharing that Bryan. It's interesting to look at the mapping of those artefacts in relation to the chronology of the various encounters in the battle.
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

#7 Post by Lancs Lad »

Very interesting!

Good job Bryan

:flag13: LL
Bryan Austin

#8 Post by Bryan Austin »

Thanks Guys!!

As of a few minutes ago, I tweaked some "possible" troop/warrior advancement/retreat paths based on archaeological cartridge case artifact recovery locations. Interesting what it looks like in motion. It is a work in progress and may never be finished.

Sim G
Past Supporter

#9 Post by Sim G »

I love stuff like this, thanks Bryan.

My Great-Great-Great Grandfather was the only Englishman killed at the Battle of the Little Bighorn...

He wasn't in the 7th Cavalry or a Lakota warrior, but camping in the field next door and asked them to keep the noise down....!!
(Terrible I know, but one of my fathers favourites)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Blighty

#10 Post by Blighty »

Think I read somewhere that 11 Scots died there and that there were even veterans of the Charge of the light brigade present (possibly George Macdonald Fraser messing with my head but only 22 years later so possible).