Lahti L-39

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

Lahti L-39

#1 Post by PeterN »

I was reading an article in the June issue of The Armourer magazine about the Lahti L-39 anti tank rifle. It has always been described as a semi automatic gun, but that is not strictly true. On firing, the case is ejected but the bolt locks back and does not load another round. To fire again, the shooter has to first squeeze a lever in the pistol grip to release the bolt and chamber another round. This gun is, therefore, a lever release rifle and presumably would have been legal to own in the UK before the recent nonsense. I thought lever release rifles were a recent invention, but it seems not so. They have been around for over eighty years.
Regards
Peter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9qHv_X ... nsVerified
PeterN

Re: Lahti L-39

#2 Post by PeterN »

And a little video on loading rounds for the L-39. Not many rounds per pound of powder.
Regards
Peter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX8O6X_ ... evinMorley
poll007
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Deal & District

#3 Post by poll007 »

When the consultation for the OWB first started I had recently watched the forgotten weapons video on the Lahti.

At the time i did point out to members of my club how the bill was going to cover more than just the MARS and SGC LR rifles as there are a number of other designs that would be covered by the language in the law. Though the response was that no one would own a Lahti Anyway.

Another example or a rifle covered by the new law is the Verney-Carron Speedline (toted at "Semi-Semi automatic" in Australia)

other similar rifles exist in .22 so are sold in Australia but wouldn't be covered by the law here as .22 is exempt. Savage make the A22R and CZ make the 515 both of which use the blowback to eject the case and then press a "Lever"(CZ) or "latch"(Savage) to load the next round.

The Harrington & Richardson 755 Sahara is similar however this was a single shot .22 that self ejected the round.

I think Remember seeing a similar system advertised in France as well but that may have just been the speedline. I'm sure others will know of more examples that they can add.

I find it very interesting to see how designers keep developing "new" ideas and designs yet when you look back the same system may have been made before but can now be improved or more practical due to technological improvements. Or i suppose in this case-it wasn't considered commercially viable before but now the laws have changed and made it a viable option.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#4 Post by Sim G »

We seem to be in a hiatus of firearm development over the last few decades.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!