Lee Enfield Bayonets

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

Re: Lee Enfield Bayonets

#11 Post by 450 Martini »

Even just 10 years ago the humble No4 Mk II spike bayonets were £5-£10 each, now they are at least £20 for rough ones. Hooked Quillion '07 bayonets are the best part of £1000 if you can find them.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

It is supply and demand.

The longer we are from when such items were last manufactured then over time the demand for them will have increased and they are sourcing from a now finite pool and the rarity value increases, that is again accelerated by a developing global market which has the internet to help source then. The internet also creates demand via forums such as this as it lets more people become aware of such items and develop the desire to own.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#13 Post by GeeRam »

dromia wrote: Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:39 pm It is supply and demand.

The longer we are from when such items were last manufactured then over time the demand for them will have increased and they are sourcing from a now finite pool and the rarity value increases, that is again accelerated by a developing global market which has the internet to help source then. The internet also creates demand via forums such as this as it lets more people become aware of such items and develop the desire to own.
Indeed.

It doesn't seem that long ago, a nice No.4(T) with complete CES in chest etc was £700-1000 - now they are 10 times that.

A nice K98k could be turned up for £100-150, and now well, it's a mission to even find one, let alone a nice one.

The de-at market hasn't helped in that regard. Many a nice LE or K98k etc have been cut n welded for the de-act market.
I even saw a nice and recently de-act L42 for sale last week with dealer saying they are worth more as de-at as he wouldn't be able to sell it so easily if it was live -even though most live L42's that come up for sale seem to be sold before the for sale ad appears kukkuk 8-)
DL.

#14 Post by DL. »

I have a peculiar ailment called spike fever.

I didn't previously own a no4 bayonet, but picked up a few last week and have now have a itching desire to complete the set!

I can just about picture all the times I would have been able to have a rummage in a loose box full of no4 bayonets and didn't bother because it wasn't of interest to me!
MrD

#15 Post by MrD »

DL. wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:04 am I have a peculiar ailment called spike fever.
A very addictive ailment - possible incurable! By 'complete the set' are you meaning all different marks, makers, scabbard types or ownership marks - or worse still all of the previous? And then maybe frogs?

Donald
Save it for a mammal who cares!

http://www.cawdorrifleandgunclub.co.uk/
DL.

#16 Post by DL. »

MrD wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 10:05 am A very addictive ailment - possible incurable! By 'complete the set' are you meaning all different marks, makers, scabbard types or ownership marks - or worse still all of the previous? And then maybe frogs?

Donald
I'm almost there with the set of no.4 bayonets. Have the elusive No7 sorted and a no9.

Luckily also have the No4 mkI cruciform, MkII Longbranch and Mk3.

I think that leaves a representative example of a MkII* - I was thinking something along the lines of a slightly less common one like Baird Engineering Company.

Then a post war model or two. I understand the refurbished MKII are remarked up as Mk2 so that would be a good one to get.

I like the idea of finding a CA marked one, but I'm not sure I buy the story of the Korea 5000 manufacturing run.

It is an interesting subject and one I would have previously thought I would have little interest in, middle age must be coming!