Moderator: dromia

Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

Re: 1939 Mauser K98 barrel

#21 Post by Alpha1 »

What is a DOU 43 K98. Give us a clue.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#22 Post by snayperskaya »

Alpha1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:55 am What is a DOU 43 K98. Give us a clue.
DOU denotes it was produced at Waffen Werke Brunn, A.G. Bystrica in Czechoslovakia and the 43 means it was made in 1943.

Forgot you don't do abbreviations or acronyms Alpha.......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#23 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote: Fri Oct 29, 2021 11:41 pm I had a DOU 43 K98 that ended up in Israel and was rebarreled by them in 7.62 NATO and it was well and truly shot out.It was an interesting rifle as it still had an intact German eagle and swastika stamp on the receiver with The Star Of David stamped next to it!.It really didn't shoot well at all so it had to go and that's when I got my first Mosin.
An ex-Israeli K98 with intact Waff's isn't as unsurprising as it would seem.....an surprising number survived with intact Waff's. They are the most collectible of the Israeli variations though for obvious reasons.

The ex-Israeli ones, have been well used, they saw a lot of action, even after a few rebarrel's especially those that were original Nazi era production, and like your one, most of those were refurbished from Czechoslovak, so a lot of them were DOU's. Many of the Israeli K98k's were in fact post-war made rifles from FN in Belgium.

The best condition re-barreled K98k's are the 30-06 ex-Norwegian versions, if you can find one of course. However, they are quite uncomfortable to shoot, the extra kick from the 30-06 over the original 7.97x57 is quite noticeable. My first K98k was one of these K98kF1 ex-Norwegian ones, and while a lovely condition example with a mint bore that shot well, it was just too much for my shoulder which I suffered an injury to many decades ago...and after a year I part ex'd it for a equally nice ex-Norwegian example, but one of the rarer ex-Norwegian Navy K98k's which retained its original 7.97x57 calibre, the Norwegian Navy were the only service branch to do this, with the Army, Airforce and Coastal Artillery branches all converting their rifles to 30-06.
GeeRam

#24 Post by GeeRam »

snayperskaya wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 8:00 am
Alpha1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 12:55 am What is a DOU 43 K98. Give us a clue.
DOU denotes it was produced at Waffen Werke Brunn, A.G. Bystrica in Czechoslovakia and the 43 means it was made in 1943.

Forgot you don't do abbreviations or acronyms Alpha.......
No point being part of a K98k discussion if you don't do abbreviations or acronyms, as the Germans stamped absolutely everything with abbreviated code stamps......and it's pretty much impossible not to have a K98k discussion without using them lol
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#25 Post by Alpha1 »

steve853 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:18 pm Hi all
My Mauser has turned out to be a bit of an issue, was apparently used for re-enactment and either not cleaned or badly cleaned, and I’m pretty sure it needs a new barrel.

Anyone have a clue what to do in this situation?

Steve
The original post was a question on re barreling nothing to do with were it came from or stampings and no I dont want to take part in a discussion on K98,s so I will leave you to chat amongst yourselves.
GeeRam

#26 Post by GeeRam »

Alpha1 wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:49 pm
My Mauser has turned out to be a bit of an issue, was apparently used for re-enactment and either not cleaned or badly cleaned, and I’m pretty sure it needs a new barrel.

Steve
The original post was a question on re barreling nothing to do with were it came from or stampings and no I dont want to take part in a discussion on K98,s so I will leave you to chat amongst yourselves.
Yes, but giving the OP an opinion/advice on whether it would be a worthwhile exercise or not to re-barrel is dependant on those markings.......a matching/and or rare combination of makers codes etc would mean it very worthwhile to re-barrel and re-sleeve to retain those markings.
A miss-match or common code etc, and as Mauserbill says, best sell and look for a better one.

However OP has not revisiting since so its a moot point.
steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

#27 Post by steve853 »

GeeRam wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:50 pm

Steve
Yes, but giving the OP an opinion/advice on whether it would be a worthwhile exercise or not to re-barrel is dependant on those markings.......a matching/and or rare combination of makers codes etc would mean it very worthwhile to re-barrel and re-sleeve to retain those markings.
A miss-match or common code etc, and as Mauserbill says, best sell and look for a better one.

Hi guys, sorry, been at work.

My rifle is a 1943 Obendorf, in beautiful condition (except for the bore) with all matching numbers, so I've decided to keep it and get the best job I can afford done on it.
Have a couple of irons in he fire, I'll post pictures when she's done.
England Prevails
GeeRam

#28 Post by GeeRam »

steve853 wrote: Sun Oct 31, 2021 5:10 pm
GeeRam wrote: Sat Oct 30, 2021 5:50 pm

Hi guys, sorry, been at work.

My rifle is a 1943 Obendorf, in beautiful condition (except for the bore) with all matching numbers, so I've decided to keep it and get the best job I can afford done on it.
Have a couple of irons in he fire, I'll post pictures when she's done.
Well if it truly is all matching numbers (and no faked force matched like many are) then, yes, it really would make sense to get Kirk to rebarrel and re-sleeve to retain the original markings.... goodjob
A byf 43 is not exactly an uncommon code/year, but matching numbers is these days, if genuine. You did well to get such an example.