1939 Mauser K98 barrel

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

PeterN

Re: 1939 Mauser K98 barrel

#11 Post by PeterN »

I would give the barrel a deep clean and see how it shoots after that. A barrel can look quite rough inside but still shoot OK.
Regards
Peter.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

snayperskaya wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:41 am Sim.....that's the place I was on about :good:

Kirk has been a friend of mine for years. Nothing ever leaves his door that he wouldn’t give cabinet space. You’d be surprised how many of the “respected” in the milsurp/collectors field have their work put right by Kirk!

Not the cheapest as some will quickly point out, but you’ll be getting 100% integrity.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#13 Post by snayperskaya »

Sim G wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:08 pm
snayperskaya wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:41 am Sim.....that's the place I was on about :good:

Kirk has been a friend of mine for years. Nothing ever leaves his door that he wouldn’t give cabinet space. You’d be surprised how many of the “respected” in the milsurp/collectors field have their work put right by Kirk!

Not the cheapest as some will quickly point out, but you’ll be getting 100% integrity.
I was looking at a Peter The Great Tula M91 that had been smoothbored and enquired as the whether they could do the same with a Mosin barrel so as to retain the PTG markings on the barrel shank but I didn't win the auction in the end.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#14 Post by Alpha1 »

By your replies I am guessing you don,t hand load so the cast bullet route is not going to work for you. If you get it re barreled its going to probably cost you more than you paid for the rifle. If you get it sleeved to preserve the originality its definitely going to cost you more than you paid for it.
The question is what do you use it for and how important is it to you that it is kept as close to original as possible. My self I would slug the bore buy a mould cast a lead bullet size it to the bore hand load some ammo and go shoot it. It would either work or not.
But it does not sound as though that is an option for you.
steve853
Home club or Range: North Coates Butts

#15 Post by steve853 »

Alpha1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:31 pm By your replies I am guessing you don,t hand load so the cast bullet route is not going to work for you. If you get it re barreled its going to probably cost you more than you paid for the rifle. If you get it sleeved to preserve the originality its definitely going to cost you more than you paid for it.
The question is what do you use it for and how important is it to you that it is kept as close to original as possible. My self I would slug the bore buy a mould cast a lead bullet size it to the bore hand load some ammo and go shoot it. It would either work or not.
Hi mate, yes I do hand-load but I don’t cast bullets anymore. The rifling in my barrel is shot, so bad it almost looks like a smooth bore. Having given it a good clean it’s not very good at all.

The rest of the rifle has been looked after brilliantly, and yes, the cost of the re-barrel work is almost as much as I paid for the rifle, but I think it would be worth it
England Prevails
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#16 Post by GeeRam »

steve853 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:20 pm The rifling in my barrel is shot, so bad it almost looks like a smooth bore. Having given it a good clean it’s not very good at all.

The rest of the rifle has been looked after brilliantly, and yes, the cost of the re-barrel work is almost as much as I paid for the rifle, but I think it would be worth it
I know they are now hard to come by, but did you not look down the barrel when you bought it....??

Is it all matching, because, realistically, it's only worth getting one re-barrelled (and especially by Kirk) if its matching or of some other rare combination of maker or allocated service arm etc.

If its a RC or some other miss-match then really it's better to sell it or part ex it for a better one when one eventually turns up.
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#17 Post by Alpha1 »

steve853 wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:20 pm
Alpha1 wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:31 pm By your replies I am guessing you don,t hand load so the cast bullet route is not going to work for you. If you get it re barreled its going to probably cost you more than you paid for the rifle. If you get it sleeved to preserve the originality its definitely going to cost you more than you paid for it.
Hi mate, yes I do hand-load but I don’t cast bullets anymore. The rifling in my barrel is shot, so bad it almost looks like a smooth bore. Having given it a good clean it’s not very good at all.

Its your rifle you are obviously keen to shoot it. If you intend to keep it long term I would go for it. A new barrel or a sleeved barrel both will work the sleeved barrel is probably more expensive at the end of the day its really up to you.
If you are any were near Ovenpaas neck of the woods I would send him a pm and ask for an estimate.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#18 Post by bradaz11 »

can you get a variation for a new barrel and get a brand new one fitted, keeping the old, matching barrel?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#19 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Bite the bullet "Excuse the pun" Get rid and find another, it will cost you a fortune to do whats being suggested. better spent on a decent K98.
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#20 Post by snayperskaya »

I had a DOU 43 K98 that ended up in Israel and was rebarreled by them in 7.62 NATO and it was well and truly shot out.It was an interesting rifle as it still had an intact German eagle and swastika stamp on the receiver with The Star Of David stamped next to it!.It really didn't shoot well at all so it had to go and that's when I got my first Mosin.
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!