SMLE 303 MARKINGS

Pre 1945 action rifles. Muzzle loading.

Moderator: dromia

marko686
Home club or Range: shandon rifle and pistol club

SMLE 303 MARKINGS

#1 Post by marko686 »

Hi guys , i am hoping some of you folk might know a bit more about the markings on my lee enfield smle ,
the history i know so far is its a lee enfield from the BSAF enfield factory 1907-1916 gr king george .
i was told it was a training rifle from the collector who bought it from the ICI club west of scotland which has been gone now for more than 30 years and apparently wasnt used there and he has had it as part of his collection and never fired it .
its now been proofed and the sights dont seem to be true so im also looking for some info on whos best to service it and get the sights and the rifle working the way its meant too.
i have read the book by charles r stratton smle rifles and some of the markings are differant from the book so maybe it went abroad then came home and the book has the crossed flags and crown but theres no letter P in the book and some of the other markings are differant like the book has EIR rifle has ER and some marking that are just not in book , the collector said he waited years to get it and told me its something special so here i am waiting to be told its a pile of poop or maybe he was telling the truth lol , hope you folk can help, thanks.
Attachments
20211108_172504.jpg
20211108_172258.jpg
20211108_172214.jpg
marko686

Re: SMLE 303 MARKINGS

#2 Post by marko686 »

Hi added two more
Attachments
20211108_173305.jpg
20211108_173239.jpg
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#3 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Markings indicate that it could have had a replacement barrel at some stage, you can tell if you take off the top handguard and check for stampings, but what really makes it interesting is that it appears to have the original lower stock with both sets of volley sights although the top wood looks replacement, has it got the magazine cut off and has the bolt got the rounded cocking piece it should also have the early spring assisted magazine all of which should be on a pre WW1 mK3 rifle. I have a SMLE dated 1912 and I am envious of your volley sights set up which are missing on my example having had a stock replacement
marko686

#4 Post by marko686 »

Hi bill. yes it has the cut off both volley sights aint checked mag but im sure its original , and the cocking piece is round .
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#5 Post by DaveB »

Ian Skennerton's book The British Service Lee covers most common markings. I believe it is still available. If I could find my copy I could tell you , but having just moved house - not a chance.
marko686

#6 Post by marko686 »

Shame you can find the book as ebay want £100 for book thanks anyway dave .
DaveB
Home club or Range: Wellington Service Rifle Assocaition; NZ Deerstalkers Association; Wairarapa Pistol & Shooting Sports Club

#7 Post by DaveB »

OK, I did fond the book, but sadly some of the markings are not in there. The crossed flags are of course standard proof marks as indicated also by the BNP letters. Mauserbill is correct, the 'R' indicates a replacement or reserve barrel at some point.

Sadly I can find no reference for the 'D.V.', 'HTT' and the 'E' (or is it an 'F') markings.

Somewhere I do have the older Reynolds book The Lee Enfield Rifle and I know that has some additional codes/markings but I have not seen it is quite some time (at least two moves) so I do not hold out much hope of finding it. Sorry I cannot be much help.
Graham M

#8 Post by Graham M »

Think it should be more like this. Not HTT but SHTLE

SMLE.jpg
Never argue with an idiot, he will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
DaveB

#9 Post by DaveB »

Quite agree, it should be SHTLE, however that is a pretty poor stamping. It honestly looks to me far more like HTT than any version of Short Lee Enfield.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#10 Post by bradaz11 »

I believe the wirksworth gunroom are quite knowledgeable on these, bloke on the range keeps mentioning them for in relation to 303 stuffs...

as for markings and stuff, bloke on the range himself quite often replies to stuff.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns