New image upload tweaks

Moderator: dromia

safetyfirst
Past Supporter

New image upload tweaks

#1 Post by safetyfirst »

Hi all.

After a number of people found the image upload process tricky and the realisation that manually resizing images isn’t for everyone, I have made a little change to the system.

Christel has graciously let me into the innards of the forum and I have added a bit of code to the image upload system.

There is now a 5Mb image upload limit which should be sufficient for most images and any pictures you upload will be resized automatically to be no bigger than 1280 pixels wide by 1024 pixels high.

It should support the most popular image types but jpg files from cameras is what’s most important.

If you’ve had trouble uploading images in the past or would just like to test the new functionality, please head over to the test area where you can upload some images and see if the results are as you’d expect.

Please lob any and all feedback here!

Safetyfirst.
farmer7
Home club or Range: Inverness-shire

Re: New image upload tweaks

#2 Post by farmer7 »

That's good to hear, at least they can't disappear now! Bit of a shame on here and so many other forums where photobucket images have vanished since they changed their terms.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#3 Post by safetyfirst »

Yes, it is a shame, we’re only storing 1280 by 1024 images but that’s a pretty good image size for now and it can be increased in the future. It’s good enough to get a solid look at a rifle for sale or guess the thread pitch of a moderator :)
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#4 Post by WelshShooter »

That's great news, thanks for your work! I know that you've wanted to sink your teeth into this one. I also got annoyed with the dead links with photo bucket and didn't manage to really find another service which was usable on mobile and computer platforms.
Oddbod

#5 Post by Oddbod »

I've never had an issue with resizing but this tweak will save on the task of doing so.
5mb is HUGE compared to most forums I use, where it's rare to see anything like that limit.

Ta much. goodjob
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#6 Post by safetyfirst »

We’ve actually upped it to 10 to cope with newer smartphones.

They all end up nice and small on the server drive so all good storage wise.

Please encourage folk to use it and not put their pics on a cloud system that will then close its doors and make posts useless!
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#7 Post by safetyfirst »

Just a quick update. It appears we have it a server limit of 3Mb on uploads, we are working on getting this increased but have no access at present to those variables. More soon!
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#8 Post by safetyfirst »

Ok, all updated (Thanks Christel!) I've tested it with the image that a user couldn't upload before nad lawo with a whopping 14mb 120,000 by 12,000 image, both worked great. Test away all!
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

#9 Post by bobbob »

I've just posted a picture and was waiting for it to be rejected as I couldn't remember the pixel size to change it to. I was surprised when it was added with no issues. Then I saw this thread. goodjob
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.