Sloppy thread posting!!

Noteworthy forum events and somewhere to post details of shoots and events for your local and national clubs. PLEASE SEE POST ABOUT GDPR.

Moderator: dromia

dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Sloppy thread posting!!

#1 Post by dromia »

Over the past couple of months there has been a marked increase in the number of threads that are being posted in the wrong forum which need to be moved to the correct forum.

Things like wanted posts in the for sale section, shooting threads in GoM and vice versa, pirate vernacular in the shooting forum, ammunition, rimfire and fullbore posts just dumped in General Discussion and the list goes on.

Sometimes the topic can be ambiguous as to which forum it could best be seated in this case then send me a PM and I will advise.

There will be a weeks notice from to day for people to be more circumspect when starting threads as to where they are locating them as in a weeks time any threads in the wrong forum will be removed rather than moved.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: Sloppy thread posting!!

#2 Post by WelshShooter »

Is it possible to have a drop down menu to select which board index to post a new topic in? Some people may be reading a thread, remember that were were going to post a thread and may end up posting in the wrong index?

What about mobile users? I used to use the "An application" app for posting etc. but that's where I had more problems (e.g. the Scotsgun rule doesn't show in the Gun Shop header via "An application"). There may not be clear guidelines from this point of view. Normal web users can see each index's heading and description, so there's not much excuse for normal web users.
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#3 Post by dromia »

Don't know about drop down menus but the Board Index certainly lists all the forums and that is what I go to to select the forum for the threads I start.

As to mobile users if they are using appliances that aren't fit for purpose that is the users problem and not something we can help with.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#4 Post by bradaz11 »

will you return the post to the user, or just delete? I would imagine if the post is just deleted then the user may just repost in the same forum.
It's either that, or do you want to select a user or two to help as assistants rather than full mods if it's getting to be tiresome for you? (if this version has that capability?)
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dromia
Site Admin

#5 Post by dromia »

Quiet simply it is up to members bothering to post correctly, just continuing to move the incorrectly posted threads does not address the problem.

The post will be removed not deleted. If people have posts disappear then they should ask where it has gone surely?

Why does it become such an issue to ask members to take a little bit of responsibility to ensure that their posts are in the right forum?

Typical 21st century victim attitude by the sound of it.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#6 Post by bradaz11 »

I'm just asking if you think you may cause another issue for yourself by doing it, that's all as I know they aren't deleted, but the user still can't see them so in their mind it is deleted

I've done mod duties on forums before and found that although I was entitled to just remove threads with no notification to the user, I found if I did this, they just retyped it all out again and reposted again incorrectly. but if I sent them a non point bearing Infraction which on that version of BB also copied in their post into the message, they could then copy their text back out, and repost in the correct place.
This way they know their post hasn't just disappeared into the ether, and don't get frustrated having to retype a sometimes lengthy post
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
dromia
Site Admin

#7 Post by dromia »

I gave up on notifying people about moving posts a long time ago as the majority of responses ended up being abusive at worst or involving tedious lengthy exchanges at best.

Believe me there is a lot less grief in removing a post and then deleting duplicates 'till a member gets a message that they should ask about it.

The old saw about doing the same thing over and over with the same result.

Rightly or wrongly we assume that members on here have some intelligence and if they don't then no procedures in the world can mitigate against stupid.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Chuck

#8 Post by Chuck »

Err ...........and what about when threads move off topic - as they sometimes do on here ;) lol lol Are they going to be "Dromiaded" for that? :wave:
Political Correctness is the language of lies, written by the corrupt , spoken by the inept!
Christel
Site Admin

#9 Post by Christel »

Just a reminder...if you can't find your post then it is very likely it was posted in the wrong section and therefore removed.
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#10 Post by kennyc »

christel wrote:Just a reminder...if you can't find your post then it is very likely it was posted in the wrong section and therefore removed.
or didn't meet with approval :p