Marking on Stickledown

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Private Marker
Home club or Range: Bisley NRA

Re: Marking on Stickledown

#11 Post by Private Marker »

Ah got you. To be fair, stix are OK but century can be a bit high sometimes. And I'm 6'2"! There s a little step stool in the butts at century. The first thing one kid does is find it and take it to his target!
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#12 Post by Pete »

We had a cracking marker a few years ago, Charlotte, I think her name was.........shortly after we started, it became apparent that she was slightly vertically challenged, so over the radio, we suggested a milk crate.......
An excellent morning's shooting followed.

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Private Marker
Home club or Range: Bisley NRA

#13 Post by Private Marker »

I don't think that's the Charlotte I know. No further comment..... ;)
kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

#14 Post by kennyc »

my 2 penneth, we have had good markers and we have had attrocious markers (you know the ones where you are calling message 4 on every other shot )
the target frames are too high for a lot of people regardless of sex and physique, on a BAR shoot during the summer I went down to the butts to see what was taking the markers so long (club members not NRA ones) and the target backing was having to be taken off the frame to mark the higher shots! as no one was tall enough to reach up and put the disc in !
so you would think that the NRA would consider the height of the target frames in relation to the amount of movement in said frames, our job would have been easier if the targets had been set lower on the backing, not a big change but would make the markers life a lot easier.
rox

#15 Post by rox »

kennyc wrote:and the target backing was having to be taken off the frame to mark the higher shots! as no one was tall enough to reach up and put the disc in !
What are they doing putting holes so high and so far from the centre of the target ;)
kennyc

#16 Post by kennyc »

rox wrote:
kennyc wrote:and the target backing was having to be taken off the frame to mark the higher shots! as no one was tall enough to reach up and put the disc in !
What are they doing putting holes so high and so far from the centre of the target ;)
standing at 300 yards shooting unsupported at a Fig 11, try it some time its great fun, especially in the actual course of fire where the aim is to get the maximum number of shots (15 limit) downrange in 1 minute bangbang
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#17 Post by GeeRam »

kennyc wrote:
rox wrote:
standing at 300 yards shooting unsupported at a Fig 11, try it some time its great fun, especially in the actual course of fire where the aim is to get the maximum number of shots (15 limit) downrange in 1 minute bangbang
Does indeed sound like fun - love to try that with my No.5 :good:
kennyc

#18 Post by kennyc »

GeeRam wrote:
Does indeed sound like fun - love to try that with my No.5 :good:
the British Alpine Rifles Agincourt match, open to all service rifles , its held during the Imperial
rox

#19 Post by rox »

kennyc wrote:the British Alpine Rifles Agincourt match, open to all service rifles , its held during the Imperial
Ah yes, have often thought of offering mercenary services, but it always clashes with certain finals and team matches.
hitchphil
Home club or Range: Bisley - Mostly

#20 Post by hitchphil »

marking on Stickledown............the butt is some 80yds behind the target & its been hammering it down with rain so the sand is compacted & wet. - markers can hardly see any sand splash.

Its difficult to differentiate a shot by sound over your target vs next door.

If shots are going random ask them to advise the shapes of the holes if square then ur ammo is running out of legs!

If you hit the frame just behind the face then the rounds can land at their feet & if they you use slow ammo then they can bounce off the road just behind the face.

Try resting the marker between shooters vs slumming another one down & having continuous shooting & no breaks, ask them their name & say Hi, & say what you are shooting (2&10 etc not the gun!) so they know what to expect & know there are little breaks.

Its not easy down
Quality control of Scottish Ethanol. & RDX/HMX

& my fav chemical is :-) 1,3,7-trimethylxanthine.......... used to kill frogs.... but widely consumed & in vast quantities by the French? Eh?