Day at Minsterley

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

TattooedGun
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Dudley Rifle Club, WNSC, UKPSA, Bromsgrove

Re: Day at Minsterley

#11 Post by TattooedGun »

That doesn't sound great :(
Minsterley, albeit not my home club, is the nearest place that I can go and shoot full-bore at 100m to get a good zero and test ammunition, so it's my go-to, although it takes a 4 hour round trip to shoot at only 100m, it's worth it when the next nearest 'alternative' is Short Siberia - Bisley, for which you need to be an NRA member.

I don't recall the staff being unfriendly, maybe a little quiet and reserved, but thats probably because they didn't know who I was. I stuck around after I shot and chatted with a few of the guys who were on the counter and they ended up seeming like nice guys and we had a good chat about this-that and everything, their sense of humour was much akin to mine; dark and sarcastic. I could see how they'd seem quiet though, and possibly unfriendly, as when around people I don't know I clam up and say the bare minimum to seem professional and not say something completely inappropriate. Though, that's just me and I'm not trying to make excuses for the staff.

As for the drive, it's atrocious. Sorry. It's crap.

The first time I went, I heard it was okay to drive there from the guys who run it they'd just had the driveway done. I went in my 2 seater MG and it bottomed out and nearly took the sump with it. Lesson learned. next time went in my dads Insignia with more ground clearance, and it was sketchy in that, too. One of the main reasons I want something with more ground clearance as my daily driver these days.

if you do decide to go back, I hope you get a better impression. I've only ever used the 100m range so have no idea of the other facilities, but for £30 a visit, 3-4 times a year, it's not too bad, and cheaper than membership! You have to go once a month for membership to even start making sense. :(
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

TG - 2 Hours would probably get to you to Barton Road just South of Cambridge which goes out to 1200 yards, Grove shoot there at least once a month and membership is very sensibly priced.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#13 Post by TattooedGun »

Ovenpaa wrote:TG - 2 Hours would probably get to you to Barton Road just South of Cambridge which goes out to 1200 yards, Grove shoot there at least once a month and membership is very sensibly priced.
Between 2.5-3 hours each way. :cry:
verses the 1 hour 40 to 2 hour each way trip to Minsterley.

Kinsgbury is the closest to me, I believe, out to 600 yards at about an hour away, the rifle association I'm a part of hasn't shot there for over a year though and I'm not sure of it's future. Offas Dyke is my best bet for bookings as they tend to get there once a month, and have access to other field firing ranges which I'm really tempted by.

All of these require needing to be on a club day though and as such are quite restrictive to the particular day availability as opposed to Minsterley being able to turn up and shoot, albeit at only 100x :(
Gerry939
Home club or Range: WNSC

#14 Post by Gerry939 »

I shoot at The Bog quite often and think it's very good, the road down to the range is a bit rough, but my Antara does it , living Near Dudley it is the nearest private range to zero and have a bit of fun, for £30 it's a good day out .....but I would like to no if there are any ranges with in a couple of hours of Birmingham that you can just turn up and shoot or even join. bangbang
:flag6: Gerry939
snayperskaya
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: West Bank of the Volga.....

#15 Post by snayperskaya »

Gerry939 wrote:I shoot at The Bog quite often and think it's very good, the road down to the range is a bit rough, but my Antara does it , living Near Dudley it is the nearest private range to zero and have a bit of fun, for £30 it's a good day out .....but I would like to no if there are any ranges with in a couple of hours of Birmingham that you can just turn up and shoot or even join. bangbang
Perhaps we've met at some point......
"The only real power comes out of a long rifle." - Joseph Stalin

Give a man a gun and he can rob a bank.....give a man a bank and he can rob the world!.

More than a vested interest in 7.62x54r!
Gerry939

#16 Post by Gerry939 »

Possible. .we go as a club ..10 members plus and I go on my own ...when you go next let me know we can meet up
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#17 Post by FredB »

It depends on what you want to shoot. Stourport has 100m but true full bore rifles have to be downloaded to 2000'/sec or less----except for black powder where anything up a limiting bore diameter---I think it is 7/8"---goes.
Fred
Gerry939

#18 Post by Gerry939 »

I have my 6.5 creedmoor RPR
And my .303 longbranch lee enfield the others ,rossi 357.and.22 mp15 I can shoot at the club.
450 Martini
Home club or Range: Swadlincote RPC

#19 Post by 450 Martini »

I was up there last Thursday for the day with my Dad and Brother, it's about a 50 minute drive for me and yes the drive in was a real boneshaker. I got there about 11 and after paying the £30 per person range fee we shot until just after 3PM. It was quiet there and we had the range to ourselves for most of the day.
It was great to have a bit of a play with the SMLE, P14 No4, No5, 2A, 2A1 and a brace of G98s.
TattooedGun
Past Supporter

#20 Post by TattooedGun »

450 Martini wrote:I was up there last Thursday for the day with my Dad and Brother, it's about a 50 minute drive for me and yes the drive in was a real boneshaker. I got there about 11 and after paying the £30 per person range fee we shot until just after 3PM. It was quiet there and we had the range to ourselves for most of the day.
It was great to have a bit of a play with the SMLE, P14 No4, No5, 2A, 2A1 and a brace of G98s.
That sounds like a fun arsenal! :D