Rabbiting

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Rabbiting

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

I had a pleasant couple of hours in the sun rabbiting yesterday afternoon with the mighty 22-250 and 50 grain Vmax on shiny new Lapua brass. I have knocked the load back to around 3750 fps and it is a delight to shoot with the accuracy I have grown to expect plus you cannot beat the point and shoot ability of the 250 out to 300 yards and even at significantly longer distances I was only holding off by a few inches coupled with the fact that when you hit something it lies down on the spot. I really must machine the correct BDC drum for my rifle to save counting clicks for longer shots.

Anyone else a fan of longer distance rabbit shooting?
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

Re: Rabbiting

#2 Post by dromia »

Nope, not a fan of any long distance live quarry shooting.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
Gazza

#3 Post by Gazza »

Long distance live shooting for me usually involves missing 8-)
DL.

#4 Post by DL. »

Both my .22Lr's have BDC style turrets on them, but I've never taken the time to get proficient at dialling in.
Maybe one day when I have a bit more time away from work.
rowey64
Home club or Range: Looking for one

#5 Post by rowey64 »

Depends if you're shooting for the pot or pest control. If pest control then its not so much of an issue as if you connect with a 22/250 they ain't going far. But if it's to sell or for the pot it's too much range and too much gun
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Ovenpaa »

Agreed, a Rabbit shot with a 250 at just about any distance is not worth a deal afterwards however when it comes to pest control not a lot beats it for a swift closure.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Swamp Donkey
Home club or Range: Wessex Rifles

#7 Post by Swamp Donkey »

Yep. Big fan of it. I have a warren that is right out in the open, so we set up in a comfortable area around 640 yards away and thin the population with the 260, have taken a few with the 222 too

Sent from my mobile using "An application"