Kentucky Firearms Steels challenge

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Kentucky Firearms Steels challenge

#1 Post by shugie »

My first try at this tuneful entertainment, organised very well by the Kentucky Firearms club, on rather chilly Butt Zero at Bisley. Cold enough to make loading the 148 rounds of 22 a bit trickier than it usually would be, with a couple of fingernails sacrificed to speed.

It's quite weird, when you're shooting it seems to take ages, but watching someone else shoot the same detail and it's done in the blink of an eye. I've learnt that I need another magazine to do this again, as you shoot each layout three times in succession and changing magazines is way too slow. Also a four power prism scope is too much magnification for quick movement between plates, a red dot would have been better. Or adjustable zoom with true x1 for keeping both eyes open.

Something I'd happily do again, and can recommend. Some people travelled much further than I did for a couple of hours, I'd already started the day over on Short Siberia to zero the CMMG at 100 yards then work out the change for the steels at 10-20 yards, thankfully my cunning plan worked.
Careful now/that sort of thing
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: Kentucky Firearms Steels challenge

#2 Post by safetyfirst »

Soil da brilliant, do tell more!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by Blackstuff »

KFC seem like a great club and shooting steels with a mini-rifle is just about as much fun as you can have with your clothes on! They're just a bit (way) too far for me to travel. Fortunately there's a few places up North that do it too shakeshout
DVC
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#4 Post by safetyfirst »

Where is there aside from Diggle up north?
Kungfugerbil
Past Supporter

#5 Post by Kungfugerbil »

Our club do regular mini rifle steel days during the warmer months. Great, great fun. I came second last time out which wasn’t bad for a newbie with a cheapie :)

Dead right about seeming to take an age when it’s your turn. You think you’ve had a stinker until someone says “nice stage” to you.

Tees Valley Target Sports - using their range South East of Guisborough.
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

#6 Post by Blackstuff »

safetyfirst wrote:Where is there aside from Diggle up north?
I regularly shoot mini-rifle at:

Mayfair Shooting Centre - Scumderland
Tall Trees Gun Club - Elwick, Hartlepool
Carlisle Small Arms Club - Newby East (just south of the airport)
Galloway Small Arms Club - Crocketford, Dumfries

I think Bishop Auckland Gun Club and Rossendale Fusiliers also shoot some club level stuff too.
DVC
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#7 Post by GeeRam »

shugie wrote:My first try at this tuneful entertainment, organised very well by the Kentucky Firearms club, on rather chilly Butt Zero at Bisley. Cold enough to make loading the 148 rounds of 22 a bit trickier than it usually would be, with a couple of fingernails sacrificed to speed.

It's quite weird, when you're shooting it seems to take ages, but watching someone else shoot the same detail and it's done in the blink of an eye. I've learnt that I need another magazine to do this again, as you shoot each layout three times in succession and changing magazines is way too slow. Also a four power prism scope is too much magnification for quick movement between plates, a red dot would have been better. Or adjustable zoom with true x1 for keeping both eyes open.

Something I'd happily do again, and can recommend.
A couple of us wandered over after we'd finished on Melville to have a look for 10 mins as we were curious and fancy having a go at something like that, as we really don't get to use our .22 semi's that much in our own club shoots. Did look like fun :good:
X2001xr

#8 Post by X2001xr »

Also my first time shooting with them(I did manage to get to do the UKPSA safety course with KFC back in August).

Like you I also forgot about my glass(it's a lot harder on 7x) managed to get it down by the 2nd detail of the first stage.

By the third stage started having a few gun issues(light strikes) and the fourth stage on a borrowed gun.

Still enjoyed the afternoon and the raffle.
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#9 Post by Airbrush »

X2001xr wrote:Also my first time shooting with them(I did manage to get to do the UKPSA safety course with KFC back in August).

Like you I also forgot about my glass(it's a lot harder on 7x) managed to get it down by the 2nd detail of the first stage.

By the third stage started having a few gun issues(light strikes) and the fourth stage on a borrowed gun.

Still enjoyed the afternoon and the raffle.
What gun was giving you problems?
X2001xr

#10 Post by X2001xr »

My used and abused 15-22(that I definitely need to replace the firing pin on)
R