Switzerland with the British Alpine rifles

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

kennyc
Home club or Range: hunters NRPC

Re: Switzerland with the British Alpine rifles

#11 Post by kennyc »

Laurie wrote:Ha! Lucky you Dave 303.

I always fancied having a go with the StG57, the Rolls Royce of 30-calibre assault rifles IMO (just as the SIG P210 was of service 9mm semi-autos). ...... and chambered for such a nice cartridge too!

I was able to examine and handle one in an S5 dealership many years ago. This was one of a pair and a whole load of other semi/full-auto military rifles and pistols from a company that supplied blank firers for film and TV work and gone into receivership. The barrels had been internally restricted and there may have been a few other mods to make them operate with blanks, but were still legally S5 of course. I presume they're now de-act wallhangers.

The two things that struck me were the build and machining quality - the rearsight assembly alone must have cost a small fortune to make out of beautifully milled parts. The other thing was the weight. Gawd, I thought, these young Swiss national service conscripts must be FIT carrying this beast up and down mountains.
the Sig 210s are a joy to shoot,allowing even a dunce like me to group on the target at 50m , in my opinion the Stgw57 should be considered as a Bren equivelant, as it was designed for defensive use in prepared positions as a combination rifle/LMG the current Stgw90 is much lighter but still in its standard form has a 20and a bit inch barrel for accuracy as well as the option for 3 round burst or "full loud" although talking to one of the Swiss who was using his service weapon, current training is in semi auto/double tap over full/burst they also fit a truly neat restrictor to the rifle to allow it to be locked in semi for range use, whilst allowing the loud area to be accessed by repositioning a plate that takes all of 30 seconds .
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#12 Post by Ovenpaa »

Looks and sounds like it was excellent fun Ken. I worked in Switzerland for a short period back in the early 90's and really did like the place.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
kennyc

#13 Post by kennyc »

got bored tonight, was looking through youtube, came across some video of the 2016 BAR comps, gives some idea of what gos on.
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

#14 Post by froggy »

Thanks VM for sharing your experience and taking time to post that range report & of course those great photos !!What a truly amazing scenery for a shooting WE :good:
BTW, the P08 in the 1st pic is a Swiss version in 7,65 or a German one ?
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
kennyc

#15 Post by kennyc »

froggy wrote:Thanks VM for sharing your experience and taking time to post that range report & of course those great photos !!What a truly amazing scenery for a shooting WE :good:
BTW, the P08 in the 1st pic is a Swiss version in 7,65 or a German one ?
from memory it is a Swiss 7.65, some of the 210's were 7.65 parabellum and most 9x19
froggy
Past Supporter

#16 Post by froggy »

Thanks. Those are guns owned by the club or individual members ?
I must say, I very much like the idea of this club . Are you a member, do you go there often ?
kennyc

#17 Post by kennyc »

The club has a collection of pistols,revolvers and rifles plus members take their own , or collect their own which are in store in Switzerland , I am in the process of applying for membership and the club have 2 weeks a year in Switzerland 1 in the spring and 1 autumn they also have a couple of shoots in the UK during the year.a very friendly bunch of chaps
froggy
Past Supporter

#18 Post by froggy »

Sounds like a very very nice set-up & a very civilized way to carry-on shooting hand-guns :good:
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#19 Post by shugie »

kennyc wrote:The club has a collection of pistols,revolvers and rifles plus members take their own , or collect their own which are in store in Switzerland , I am in the process of applying for membership and the club have 2 weeks a year in Switzerland 1 in the spring and 1 autumn they also have a couple of shoots in the UK during the year.a very friendly bunch of chaps
Are they quite "picky" about membership? Do you need to roll up a trouser leg and do the special handshake?
Careful now/that sort of thing
kennyc

#20 Post by kennyc »

shugie wrote:
kennyc wrote:The club has a collection of pistols,revolvers and rifles plus members take their own , or collect their own which are in store in Switzerland , I am in the process of applying for membership and the club have 2 weeks a year in Switzerland 1 in the spring and 1 autumn they also have a couple of shoots in the UK during the year.a very friendly bunch of chaps
Are they quite "picky" about membership? Do you need to roll up a trouser leg and do the special handshake?
its not the NRA or CSR for gawds sake :p