Vickers gun on Century this afternoon

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

Vickers gun on Century this afternoon

#1 Post by shugie »

I have no idea how this is managed in legal terms, but I was on butt zero shooting speed steels (in the tipping rain) when I heard what sounded like a Vickers, and a little research showed that there was indeed a Vickers in use - https://nra.org.uk/armistice-service-an ... sQzIFRFf7A
Careful now/that sort of thing
rox

Re: Vickers gun on Century this afternoon

#2 Post by rox »

shugie wrote:I have no idea how this is managed in legal terms, but I was on butt zero shooting speed steels (in the tipping rain) when I heard what sounded like a Vickers, and a little research showed that there was indeed a Vickers in use - https://nra.org.uk/armistice-service-an ... sQzIFRFf7A
Something like this?

jmc67
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley

#3 Post by jmc67 »

Yep, was there watching it this afternoon. Great to see :)
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#4 Post by 25Pdr »

Here's the longer version of the Vickers.

Imagine reloading that lot with a Lee Loader. I used to use them at my place of work, (IBM) They were a handy way to reload without attracting attention in my wee workshop.
bnz41
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by bnz41 »

I heard someone say that they were going to be putting around 2,000 total rounds down range through the Vickers. Wonder who's job it was to clean it.....
I watched the bullets impact the sand just to get an idea of the power of this machine gun.
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#6 Post by 25Pdr »

bnz41 wrote:I heard someone say that they were going to be putting around 2,000 total rounds down range through the Vickers. Wonder who's job it was to clean it.....
I watched the bullets impact the sand just to get an idea of the power of this machine gun.
To get an idea of the power of some rounds I collected a load of free Catalogs from outside Tesco once, quite thick they were.

Remember a 303 would penetrate around 13 of these catalogs laid end to end. aaarggh
TomH
Site Supporter Since 2017
Home club or Range: ORPC

#7 Post by TomH »

25Pdr wrote:
bnz41 wrote:I heard someone say that they were going to be putting around 2,000 total rounds down range through the Vickers. Wonder who's job it was to clean it.....
To get an idea of the power of some rounds I collected a load of free Catalogs from outside Tesco once, quite thick they were.

Remember a 303 would penetrate around 13 of these catalogs laid end to end. aaarggh
Aye, those were the days when you could do your ballistic testing outside Tescos and no-one batted an eyelid.
25Pdr
Past Supporter

#8 Post by 25Pdr »

TomH wrote:
25Pdr wrote:

Aye, those were the days when you could do your ballistic testing outside Tescos and no-one batted an eyelid.
lol lol

Probably could, a lot of the population in Greenock are either on drugs or booze, nobody would notice.

Not like your posh Waitrose Down South. :run:
Triffid
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Wey Valley

#9 Post by Triffid »

Did they use the electronic targets?
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#10 Post by channel12 »

Triffid wrote:Did they use the electronic targets?

very funny' no they didn't and yes I was there.