.30 semi autos at the range

Made or missed the shot of a lifetime? Share your shooting trips with everyone. Tell us about it. We won't laugh, honest!

Moderator: dromia

rufrdr

.30 semi autos at the range

#1 Post by rufrdr »

After a work hiatus of just about a year, the Missus has 'encouraged' me to leave retirement, get out of the house, and go back to work. I was warned this would happen and it did!

So, I've been trying to get some range time in during the week before I rejoin the ranks of the wage slaves and can only go to the range on the weekend when it will be crowded with all the other wage slaves.

After about a week of bitter cold and some heavy rain, the sun has made an appearance and the temperature has risen, so off to the range I headed.

it was a muddy slog to reach the 100 yard target line. I'm re-sighting all of my rifles due to my previous club being up hill and the 100 yard line there was about 50 ft estimate higher than the shooting line. This has made all of my rifles shoot low on the flat.

I took my DS Arms FAL, my M1 carbine, and for fun, my Rossi 92 .38/.357 that I just acquired a couple of weeks ago.

The FAL was originally a 16" carbine which was brutal to shoot. I got it rebarreled with a 21" Imbel surplus barrel and added some other refinements to make it fit my tastes.

I like the looks of the sand cut SLR bolt carrier so I popped one of those in the rifle.

I also favor the folding charging handle of the SLR so I obtained a metric receiver version for my FAL.

Here's a rapid cadence target. I was using FNM 83 7.62mm ball. The eyes aren't what they used to be and for some reason the FAL sights are more difficult for me to use than the M14 sights but the accuracy is more than sufficient. The rifle seems to through flyers out randomly for some reason.

Next up was the M1 carbine. This is a Quality Hardware production that went through rebuild after WW2. My sister in law gave it to me several years ago along with a S&W .38 revolver. I moved her up the list of favorite in-laws after that.

I was shooting some of my reloads using 2400 and pulled GI steel jacketed bullets. It did pretty well at 100 yds. The main issue I had was trying to keep the butt from sliding off of my GI issue field jacket.

Not a semi auto but worthy of mention, my latest, a used Rossi 92 .357 carbine. I had owned a Rossi 92 previously but after over 30 years of shooting it was pretty worn out. Most of the springs needed to be replaced and the feed was out of whack. I sold it to a tinkerer who wanted to spend the time putting it back into order and picked up this one. The accuracy at 50 yds with .38 special jacketed SP rounds was amazing. Same issue though, trying to keep the steel butt from sliding off of my jacket's material.

Enough show and tell. The Missus is only interested that I came home from the range intact. Anything else is not of interest. lol

"Everybody dies...the thing is, to die well"

Jack Harper
Lancs Lad
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Diggle / Altcar and anywhere else that will have me.

Re: .30 semi autos at the range

#2 Post by Lancs Lad »

Excellent! Thanks for the photos.

LL :flag13:
AL8

#3 Post by AL8 »

thanks for the show & tell.
Have you thought about working part time, that way you get the best of both worlds
johngarnett
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: Cornwall RC @ Millpool; Duchy Shooting Assn @ Zelah

#4 Post by johngarnett »

Thanks for the pics. (Reaching for tissues at sight of semi's!!)
Could you get 'new' employment on a rifle / pistol range? goodjob (!)
JohnG :cornwall:
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#5 Post by 20series »

I remember putting about 5 rnds through the FAL carbine and jacking because it loosened my fillings lol lol

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

#6 Post by Lever357 »

Great pictures, love the M1 Carbine. Keep them coming.
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!