Hello from Idaho, USA

New to the forum? Tell us who you are.

Moderator: dromia

Rotnguns
Home club or Range: Parma Gun Club, Parma, Idaho , USA

Hello from Idaho, USA

#1 Post by Rotnguns »

Hi everyone, I'm a new member from Idaho in NW USA.

I've enjoyed reading about your fascinating shooting events and the hunting culture in the UK and in Europe. What a great shooting tradition you have! I've been researching the Whitworth rifle as well as your mad- minute challenge with great interest. I'm in a bullseye shooting league and I will be branching out to NRA (American version) Silhouette this spring. Unfortunately, many of our events, particularly the ones held indoors, have been suspended over the past year due to COVID.

I look forward to chatting with you all!
Southwest Idaho, USA
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

Re: Hello from Idaho, USA

#2 Post by 20series »

Hello and welcome to the forum, it's always nice to have our colonial cousins join here and yes we're all suffering with a lack of trigger time due to Covid. Our clubs and ranges should be opening again at the end of the month when our lock down starts to ease.

Cheers
Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#3 Post by Les »

Hello .... welcome to FBUK! :good:
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

Rotnguns, welcome :wave:

Can't wait for the ranges and clubs to reopen. We can shoot bell target here at home however I am missing taking my rifles out. Getting all pale due to lack of sunshine :p
Rotnguns

#5 Post by Rotnguns »

Thanks for the welcomes!

I cannot wait to test-drive the term "bell target" with my shooting friends! I've never heard of them before Christel's post, which prompted a very enlightening google expedition on my part.
Southwest Idaho, USA
Christel
Site Admin

#6 Post by Christel »

We have learnt a lot from shooting bell target - knowledge we transfer to long distance shooting, even clay shooting.
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#7 Post by Scrumbag »

Welcome Rotnguns!

I would love to visit your part of the world. I have watched a lot of Randy Newberg's series on hunting the Western States and it looks truly wonderful.

In terms of the Westen US I've only managed to do "The four corners" (Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona and Utah) but I think it was one of the best holidays I've ever had.

We've lost a fair bit of shooting to Covid, too.

Scrummy
Rotnguns

#8 Post by Rotnguns »

Thanks Scrummy!

Indeed, this part of the US has great outdoor opportunities. I'll have to check out Randy Newberg's series and see what he's said about us!

I'm gearing up for Spring bear and turkey season here (starts April 15 in this locale). Due to COVID, outdoor rec is booming and hunting pressure near the inhabited areas of our state has reached new levels. That being said, if you get two ridges away from a road here, you may as well be in Alaska!

If you ever get out this way, shoot me a message and we will find you a bear! There are way too many here because so few hunt them. Same with mountain lions and wolves.
Southwest Idaho, USA
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#9 Post by Scrumbag »

Rotnguns wrote:Thanks Scrummy!

Indeed, this part of the US has great outdoor opportunities. I'll have to check out Randy Newberg's series and see what he's said about us!

I'm gearing up for Spring bear and turkey season here (starts April 15 in this locale). Due to COVID, outdoor rec is booming and hunting pressure near the inhabited areas of our state has reached new levels. That being said, if you get two ridges away from a road here, you may as well be in Alaska!

If you ever get out this way, shoot me a message and we will find you a bear! There are way too many here because so few hunt them. Same with mountain lions and wolves.
That would be a dream! Do you use hounds, bait or stalk?

Scrummy

PS "Bell-Target" isn't that what the NVA called Hueys? :P
Site Supporter Since 2015

#10 Post by 1066 »

Hello and welcome.. I think our target shooting heritage, here in the UK, has been greatly influenced by the bell target shooting clubs of the 1900's, absolutely amazing the think there were 1600 bell target teams in Birmingham alone in 1905, with most competitions taking place in public bars. At about the same time the seeds were sown, with the formation of the Society of Working Men's rifle clubs and the Society of Miniature Rifle clubs for what would eventually become the National Smallbore rifle Association. (1947)

Just about town in the UK had at least one smallbore rifle club, many modest towns had half a dozen clubs - These were all .22lr clubs, almost all shooting on 25 yard indoor ranges, all shooting single shot target rifles, until the 1960's almost all would be using BSA International Martini action rifles, all using aperture sights and all shooting with a jacket and sling. Teams would compete in national leagues, with cards sent off to be officially scored.

Many of us old duffers here cut out shooting teeth while laying on a dusty bit of carpet shooting on a 25 yard range tacked on the side of the village hall. Since around the 1970's interest the NSRA type prone shooting has waned and very many clubs have closed down - 20 years ago you would have had difficulty giving a BSA Martini away - huge numbers were scrapped, only now are they starting to be appreciated with a few being fitted with scope mounts to use in club level benchrest competitions.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com