My introduction as new member

New to the forum? Tell us who you are.

Moderator: dromia

mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

My introduction as new member

#1 Post by mikygpu »

Hi All
I am from Romania originally moved to London 20 years ago. Now I am in Hemel Hempstead, Hertforshire and I shoot short, medium, long and very long distances:
- Short distances - 25 to 100 yards - with .22RF
- Medium distances - 100-600 yards - with Mauser K98, Olympic Arms .223, 7.62x39 and DG .308
- Long distances - 800-1200 yards - with DG .308, ST .300 WinMag, .30-06
- Very long distances - with .338 and hopefully with .50cal - when I can afford both.

I am Forest Engineering graduate ex army - conscripted RT (Reduced Term) tho - sub-lieutenant in reserves Ro and British citizen. Hopefully no war will break between Ro and UK as I'll have to serve both...
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing"
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Nobody was born knowledgeable...Except Jesus!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

Re: My introduction as new member

#2 Post by Les »

Hello .... welcome to FBUK! :good:
20series
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: Oundle R&PC

#3 Post by 20series »

Hi and welcome to the forum..

Lol you would have to have two uniforms and swap sides AM and PM

Alan
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools!!
Douglas Adams, 1952-2001 RIP
Christel
Site Admin

#4 Post by Christel »

mikygpu, welcome :wave:

From one foreigner to another, UK is a great place to live. Been here since June 2000.

Used to shoot at Barton Road out to 1200. These days it is more .22 and shotguns.
Mauserbill
Home club or Range: Range

#5 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Excellent, another Mauser K98 shooter.
mikygpu
Home club or Range: W&DRC, LCRPC, NRA, NSRA, FCSA, Bisley range, Lydd45 and other where I am permitted to shoot

#6 Post by mikygpu »

Les wrote:Hello .... welcome to FBUK! :good:
Many Thanks
20series wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum..

Lol you would have to have two uniforms and swap sides AM and PM

Alan
Yeah, but what about my rifles?
I use my long range DG .308 on British side and the Russian 7.62x39 on Ro side?
What about my Olympic .223, Tactical 30-06 or Italian Sabatti Tactical 300WinMag? Or if I finally get a Dragunov straight pull? Not to mention AI .338LM and AI .50cal.
And what about the scopes? They are IOR, so on which side would I use them?
I would just plainly say I am agains wars and declare neutrality and move to Portugal... :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Christel wrote:mikygpu, welcome :wave:

From one foreigner to another, UK is a great place to live. Been here since June 2000.

Used to shoot at Barton Road out to 1200. These days it is more .22 and shotguns.
Thanks Christel

That's why I live near M25 - So I can get to Bisley anytime.
TBH, I prefer Bisley than .22RF Watford range. More fun, particularly when I shoot 30-06 and .300WM at 600 yards with muzzle break. They kick like a mule.

I am also member of AGL shooting ground in Markyate, so when I have a bit of time, I just go there and plink the clays. With my Remi 1100 9+1 .... obviously only 1+1 loaded.

Mauserbill wrote:Hello
Thanks Mauserbill

I have a Mauser action Target 30-06 which I am turning in tactical chassis.
I have a 1940 K98 former SS sniper rifle for which I am looking for period scope and rings. It is marked Waffen SS 1940 and is has the drilled holes for the 1st and 2nd generation scope rings.

Btw, from a Mauser K98 to another, should I go with American reproduction scope and rings or period scope and new rings? Period rings are near to impossible to find
Socrates

I am here to learn!
And maybe...just maybe...I might know something that some don't...like Romanian and Portuguese languages O:-)
Mauserbill

#7 Post by Mauserbill »

mikygpu wrote:
Thanks Mauserbill
I have a 1940 K98 former SS sniper rifle for which I am looking for period scope and rings. It is marked Waffen SS 1940 and is has the drilled holes for the 1st and 2nd generation scope rings.

Btw, from a Mauser K98 to another, should I go with American reproduction scope and rings or period scope and new rings? Period rings are near to impossible to find
Hello
I use Accumounts (USA) there reproduction mounts are exceptional, I have fitted the following Short side rail/ Long side rail and both low and high turret sets, I tend to use the German Pecar 4x twin zero all steel blued scopes as an alternative to original pre and WW2 single zero scope types (Now getting extremely expensive). The original scopes are a bit of a faff setting up because of the single zero adjustment, and I have found that the lateral adjustment on the mounts is difficult compared to the twin zero set up. For the same reason I much prefer a moving reticule on the scope. Depends on what you feel is right for you.
PS
Beware Canadian and Chinese copy mounts they are crap !
If your K98 is all original and dependent on condition you may want to think twice about turning it into a copy sniper, I do mine because of eyesight problems and the obscene expense of and original sniper rifle.
Last edited by Mauserbill on Thu Mar 18, 2021 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mikygpu

#8 Post by mikygpu »

Mauserbill wrote:
mikygpu wrote:
Thanks Mauserbill

Hello
I use Accumounts (USA) there reproduction mounts are exceptional, I have fitted the following Short side rail/ Long side rail and both low and high turret sets, I tend to use the German Pecar 4x twin zero all steel blued scopes as an alternative to original pre and WW2 single zero scope types (Now getting extremely expensive). The original scopes are a bit of a faff setting up because of the single zero adjustment, and I have found that the lateral adjustment on the mounts is difficult compared to the twin zero set up. For the same reason I much prefer a moving reticule on the scope. Depends on what you feel is right for you.
PS
Beware Canadian and Chinese copy mounts they are crap !
If your K98 is all original and dependent on condition you may want to think twice about turning it into a copy sniper, I do mine because of eyesight problems and the obscene expense of and original sniper rifle.
Can you send me some links to my email address? Or PM?
I was looking at the American stuff and there is one shipping to UK. And it has 2x scopes, 4x and 8x.
Socrates

I am here to learn!
Mauserbill

#9 Post by Mauserbill »

Hello
Accumounts can supply various German military scope mounts view details at https://www.accumounts.com
I usually find my scopes on eBay, don`t forget anything coming out of the States will cost you in customs, vat, postage delivery charges.
Because of Homeland security restrictions many scope sellers refuse too ship to the UK
FB66
Home club or Range: Bedford & LMRA Bisley

#10 Post by FB66 »

Welcome from fellow Herts shooter
Mike