Just started on the road

New to the forum? Tell us who you are.

Moderator: dromia

lovemunkey187
Home club or Range: North Cotes Butts & Phoenix Range

Re: Just started on the road

#11 Post by lovemunkey187 »

bradaz11 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:05 pmsounds like the sight needed a riser on it. tbh I struggle with ear pro and some rifle stocks, if it's only .22rf ammo, I'll just use in ear protection. then add muffs if shooting 9mm indoors or rifle calibers.
any cowboy guns are just shot with in ear though.

I have also found the make of ear prop matters, I tried a few, and some are worse than others. my current make are a lot better than others I've tried. they are walker razor's. I had howard leight impact sports and they weren't good.
Third time lucky, replying.

As they were club guns, I couldn't really customise the set up of the red dot to my preferences.
The MP15 is the only rifle I've used so far that caused an issue with my ear pro.

Speaking of cowboy guns, I shot a Henry Yellow Boy .22 the other day. I liked it, I really wasn't expecting it to be as engaging as it was. Would've preferred something a little meatier in the fore grip/stock(?) area. I think that would suit my bear paws a little more.
Hey, dawg. Didya see the size of that chicken?
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#12 Post by bradaz11 »

lovemunkey187 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:27 pm

Third time lucky, replying.

As they were club guns, I couldn't really customise the set up of the red dot to my preferences.
The MP15 is the only rifle I've used so far that caused an issue with my ear pro.

Speaking of cowboy guns, I shot a Henry Yellow Boy .22 the other day. I liked it, I really wasn't expecting it to be as engaging as it was. Would've preferred something a little meatier in the fore grip/stock(?) area. I think that would suit my bear paws a little more.
just for clarity. what you were shooting was, I presume, actually a S&W m&P 15/22, the M&P 15 is .223 fullbore rifle. M&P just means military and police, it doesn't really mean anything as most of all their guns are named M&P something now.

was the red dot close to the top of the gun, or raised up by around an inch or more? modern tastes have been getting red dots lower and lower, but there is a school of though that eugene stoner got it right to begin with and the carry handle height offset is a perfect offset to allow your cheeck to rest on the gun and have a good neck position to aim, allowing you to be straighter and not hunch in to it. like with pistol shooting, its bring the gun up to you, not you down to the gun.

I have never shot a .22 lever action, so I don't know if they are slimmer than the bigger caliber fed guns, I have had two goldenboys, one in 44mag, one in 357/38. both lovely guns but let down by the front loading tube. the kings gate was a step forward for a reason. the rossi 92 clones have a thinner handguard than those. I currently have 1873 winchester clones from uberti. I don't notice them being girthy in particular. but after handling a few marlin 1894's (which are not to be confused with winchester 1894 clones) I found them to be a lot more meatier, but they are a bit too slow for me.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
lovemunkey187

#13 Post by lovemunkey187 »

bradaz11 wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:39 pmjust for clarity. what you were shooting was, I presume, actually a S&W m&P 15/22, the M&P 15 is .223 fullbore rifle. M&P just means military and police, it doesn't really mean anything as most of all their guns are named M&P something now.

was the red dot close to the top of the gun, or raised up by around an inch or more? modern tastes have been getting red dots lower and lower, but there is a school of though that eugene stoner got it right to begin with and the carry handle height offset is a perfect offset to allow your cheeck to rest on the gun and have a good neck position to aim, allowing you to be straighter and not hunch in to it. like with pistol shooting, its bring the gun up to you, not you down to the gun.

I have never shot a .22 lever action, so I don't know if they are slimmer than the bigger caliber fed guns, I have had two goldenboys, one in 44mag, one in 357/38. both lovely guns but let down by the front loading tube. the kings gate was a step forward for a reason. the rossi 92 clones have a thinner handguard than those. I currently have 1873 winchester clones from uberti. I don't notice them being girthy in particular. but after handling a few marlin 1894's (which are not to be confused with winchester 1894 clones) I found them to be a lot more meatier, but they are a bit too slow for me.
Sorry. Yes it was the S&W MP15/22. Yeah, on both rifles the red dot was fairly low, encouraging a more hunched position.

After shooting the .22 Henry, i was talking with the RO's about the sights, not being the most forgiving and they let me handle a Marlin in 45-70(?) to compare. And the dimensions of that were really good.
lovemunkey187

#14 Post by lovemunkey187 »

FAC paperwork sent off in the post this afternoon fingerscrossed
Alpha1
Site Supporter Since 2020

#15 Post by Alpha1 »

After only three month of joining a Club you are able to apply for firearm certificate that surprises me.
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

#16 Post by Gh0st »

Welcome,

Sounds like you just don't have it set up for yourself, Minirifle is a very individual sport in terms of setup and what works for you.

I personally could never get on with the short fore-ends so swapped all of my AR's t longer fore-ends.

Also, cant use earmuffs with them as they catch when shooting funny positions, so always use in-ear,
lovemunkey187 wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:32 pm
20series wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:26 pm hello and welcome to the forum and shooting, out of interest what didn't you like about the smith and wesson
One of them was the pink "Muddy Girl" one and the other was more towards the race gun end of things(flared mag well etc).
But both felt too small, almost toy like. To get a good sight line through the attached red dot optics felt like I had my head at a weird angle that was uncomfortable, and if I repositioned then my ear pro was moved off of my ear, thus ineffective.
Conversely the Sig Sauer 522 and the composite stock Ruger 10/22's I've used have been a pleasure and dream to shoot.

Thank you all for the welcomes.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
lovemunkey187

#17 Post by lovemunkey187 »

Alpha1 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:23 am After only three month of joining a Club you are able to apply for firearm certificate that surprises me.
Fortunately for me the probationary membership period is only 3 months.

Gh0st wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:30 am Welcome,

Sounds like you just don't have it set up for yourself, Minirifle is a very individual sport in terms of setup and what works for you.

I personally could never get on with the short fore-ends so swapped all of my AR's t longer fore-ends.

Also, cant use earmuffs with them as they catch when shooting funny positions, so always use in-ear,
Yesterday I had a go with a Kriss Defiance and barring the gun disliking the Geco ammo I was using(feed and ejection issues) it was really nice and comfortable. The heavier Defiance felt more reassuring than the S&W MP15/22.

Never been a fan of in ear, ear buds. I find them distracting and irritating.
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#18 Post by bradaz11 »

get proper moulded ones, you'll never know they're there.

as for the guns, kriss's do seem to have that as a bit of a problem, its something you see quite a lot.
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=39379
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Geek
Site Supporter Since 2020
Home club or Range: Diggle Range and Rossendale Fusiliers

#19 Post by Geek »

Hello and welcome :wave:
Regards,

Geek

AI AT (.308/6.5CM), Ruger PR (6.5CM), American Rimfire (.22LR), Remington 700 (.223), Marlin underlever .38/.357/.44, Savage 6BR, RimfireMagic .22LR, Fabarm Lion (s1), Fabarm Axis Baikal S/S
GeeRam
Home club or Range: PSC, Bisley

#20 Post by GeeRam »

bradaz11 wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:46 pm get proper moulded ones, you'll never know they're there.
^This.

I have an issue with M4 style semi-auto's (and straight-pull) and ear cans (MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X) and this hunched down style feels horrible, and in the case of a mate's LMT, I just can't even see through the scope, and his is on a riser as well!

No wonder I don't like style modern firearms lol

I'd happily shoot .22rf outdoors with my moulded-active CENS in-ear plugs which I use for shotgun shooting, as I can't seem to shoot shotgun's with any of the can ear-pro's I've ever owned, if I had to.....but as I have a GSG Stg.44, I can shoot that OK wearing the Sordin's.