What should the NRA Armoury sell?

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
bobbob
Site Supporter Since 2016

Re: What should the NRA Armoury sell?

#61 Post by bobbob »

We had cup cakes on sale in our canteen last week to raise money for JDRF a charity for young diabetes sufferers. They were £1.95 with 25p going to the charity. They didn't sell one, way overpriced, especially with so little going to the charity. Maybe a coffee and cake for £2.50 would be fair.
How about something people could take away with them. Basic sandwich, packet of crisps, bottle of water, apple. We rarely use the food outlets at Bisley as what they serve for the money isn't really worth it quality wise. Ice creams :good:
Never say something in Cyberspace you can't say Face to Face!!

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the Full-Bore Forum.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#62 Post by Ovenpaa »

bobbob wrote:.... We rarely use the food outlets at Bisley as what they serve for the money isn't really worth it quality wise.
I had a burger at Bisley once....

Only the once.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

#63 Post by ColinR »

Donuts, Tea & Coffee, really chaps we need to think a little bit more out of the box. Is the future of the NRA to be based on catering or shooting? I could easily forego cheap tea and coffee in favour of a one stop shop for shooting supplies, but if donuts are to be the thing I doubt it will have me beating a path to the door!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#64 Post by Ovenpaa »

However if you combine the two Colin... I need some reloading gear, I may as well grab a coffee at the same time alternatively, I need some primers/powder whatever, Hmm.. a quick coffee and cake would go down nicely as well.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
ColinR

#65 Post by ColinR »

ovenpaa wrote:However if you combine the two Colin... I need some reloading gear, I may as well grab a coffee at the same time alternatively, I need some primers/powder whatever, Hmm.. a quick coffee and cake would go down nicely as well.
Maybe, but there are all manner of compliances required to sell food and beverages, staff needing training in hygiene, premises etc. I haven't yet come across a gun shop offering food, although most will supply free coffee - In any case I wonder if the nanny state will allow shooting supplies and food to be combined, probably not, unless a member of staff were dedicated to selling/serving food in a separate area and not touching powder and bullets etc.
Mike357
Home club or Range: NRA, Bisley, Dundee Rifle & Pistol Club & Bishop Auckland GC

#66 Post by Mike357 »

Best shooting environment I have ever had food or refreshments in was at a now defunct Clay Ground not far from me. Old colonial style long hut with open fire wood panelling inside and a long bar area which served as the sign on area for shoots. They had some knackered old leather chesterfiled sofas. Used to also do hog roasts when corporate shoots were on.

It was so "cosy" that I would go even if I wasn't shooting. Now, if you had somewhere like that at Bisley where shooters could relax, browse clothing and consumables and even look at firearms and then have a coffee etc it would be great.

There is too much fragmentation at Bisley with multiple food outlets and accomodation, it should all be rathionalised!
It's not the pace of life that concerns me, it's the sudden stop at the end!
ColinR

#67 Post by ColinR »

Mike357 wrote:Best shooting environment I have ever had food or refreshments in was at a now defunct Clay Ground not far from me. Old colonial style long hut with open fire wood panelling inside and a long bar area which served as the sign on area for shoots. They had some knackered old leather chesterfiled sofas. Used to also do hog roasts when corporate shoots were on.

It was so "cosy" that I would go even if I wasn't shooting. Now, if you had somewhere like that at Bisley where shooters could relax, browse clothing and consumables and even look at firearms and then have a coffee etc it would be great.
Hi Mike I guess the obvious question here is why is it now defunct? Perhaps "cosy" doesn't ultimately do it for shooters, but I do know what you mean. We used to have bacon sandwiches, hot dogs, burgers and the occaisional BBQ at a Pistol club I used to belong to (when you could still shoot proper pistols) and that always had a great atmosphere. I think it is a delicate commercial balance for somewhere like Bisley between offering "cosy" services and making money. Food is such a subjective thing, as any new restuarant will tell you, but a cheap supply of shooting consumables will hit the spot every time.

Incidentally I have to say I don't think the food at the Clay Shooters Cafe is as bad as everyone says. We go there for lunch on every trip and usually have their ham egg and cheesy chips - its become part of the day. I am very much a foodie, but my partner is a holistic therapist, so pretty much anything tastes good after a diet of 'healthy' food, so you might all be right!
Griff

#68 Post by Griff »

Please..... while I realise its about making money, Bisley is in Surrey on the doorstep of London, there must be a balance between product, price and profit.

IMHO, most of the initiatives are targeted at high earners and no (or little) consideration of low income shooters who scrape by to be able to shoot once / twice a month at best without having to pay mortgages for coffee and cake at £4 (daylight robbery!)!

If the pricing structure was like *bucks or Costa'lot then coffee might sell but cakes, cookies etc are a rip of!! Keep it simple, food and drink essentials at competitive prices. Small profit form large sales = lots of profit, High profit from small sales = minimal profit. This is pricing and profit strategy. If you go high, expect the sales to go to someone cheaper!!!!

As good as Jenny's is and considering how long it has been at Bisley it is the staple stop off for many shooters and most buttmarkers... Compete on a food sales basis with them and you might destroy a working relationship or destroy both businesses. Maybe a closer working relationship or buy out and investment might be the way forwards?
artiglio

#69 Post by artiglio »

With all due respect Griff, the food at Jennys and the clay pidgeon cafe is barely acceptable (next time you're in the clay cafe have a peek through the hatch at the cooker top, a pick and shovel would be a good starting point for cleaning utensils).

They get away with such low standards because they can, if the the NRA or anyone else wishes to compete in the Market place, then let the customers vote with their cash. If this results in upsetting existing vendors, tough, they should have raised their standards rather than exploit a captive customer base.

Personally, having set out at "silly o'clock" then spent the morning shooting, I'm ready for and prepared to pay a reasonable amount for something decent to eat. There must be a number of club houses with underused catering facilities who would benefit from a tie up on the provision of food.

All the best phil
John MH

#70 Post by John MH »

The LMRA do a decent walk in breakfast if you've set off early and need a bite to eat to bring you back to life.