.17HMR banned on Melville

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

Re: .17HMR banned on Melville

#51 Post by ColinR »

HeatherW762 wrote:
ColinR wrote:
HeatherW762 wrote:Brian T did mention when we spoke that Butt Zero could be used on Stickledown. My comment then was that if Butt Zero was an open range (I have never been down there) then on a windy day it might be unsuitable for zeroing .17hmr as the bullet is very light and susceptible to cross winds. However, this is a great move in the right direction and I thank you.
Although Butt Zero is on Stickledown it is in a bit of a dip and has trees to the left hand side which do screen it. We use other small calibres there in competition very successfully so it should be fine.

Heather
Heather, What other calibres can be shot on Butt Zero? Its unlikely anyone will want to spend much time zeroing .17hmr, so would we be able to shoot other calibres as well? regards Colin
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#52 Post by HeatherW762 »

[/quote]

Thanks Heather, All we can do is see how we get on - how many firing points on Butt Zero, will it be added to NRASC bookings, can it be booked by the hour - presumably no markers?

regards Colin[/quote]

I think there are about 8 in the left hand bay - the right hand one has the moving target system in it. It is going to be included in the ROT rota from the range office but you would need to check with them about the hourly rate. The NRASC use it when we do service rifle, in fact I'm in the process if testing targets to see if we can simulate falling plates. No markers.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
HeatherW762

#53 Post by HeatherW762 »

[/quote]

Heather, What other calibres can be shot on Butt Zero? Its unlikely anyone will want to spend much time zeroing .17hmr, so would we be able to shoot other calibres as well? regards Colin[/quote]

I believe just about everything can be shot on it, including target shotgun but check with the range office.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)
ColinR

#54 Post by ColinR »

HeatherW762 wrote:
Heather, What other calibres can be shot on Butt Zero? Its unlikely anyone will want to spend much time zeroing .17hmr, so would we be able to shoot other calibres as well? regards Colin[/quote]

I believe just about everything can be shot on it, including target shotgun but check with the range office.

Heather[/quote]

Hi Heather, Now that makes it a lot more interesting. Since you shoot service rifle there, I presume 7.62 will not be a problem, anymore than gallery rifles? That really does make Butt Zero an interesting prospect. Could I ask you to confirm calibres allowed and post an answer as I am sure that this is a range few members have used in the past. regards Colin
HeatherW762

#55 Post by HeatherW762 »

Just checked with Brian T and basically all calibres that can be shot on any of our other ranges can use Butt Zero bar HME rounds.

Heather
ColinR

#56 Post by ColinR »

HeatherW762 wrote:Just checked with Brian T and basically all calibres that can be shot on any of our other ranges can use Butt Zero bar HME rounds.

Heather
Thanks Heather, that is very interesting.