.17HMR banned on Melville

News from the National Rifle Association (UK)

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
Please note that the NRA section has been locked until further notice.
the running man

Re: .17HMR banned on Melville

#31 Post by the running man »

i suggest that the comment on it being too fast is utter rubbish.................nra staff or not,also why hasent the question of why gr events are less than half the price at the imperial than they are at graw events? all thorns in the nra side that they avoid answering............
Always judge a person by how they treat someone that is of no use to them......
ColinR
Home club or Range: FCSA (UK), FDPC, NRA Member, Bisley

#32 Post by ColinR »

MiLisCer wrote:
ColinR wrote:
Chapuis wrote:Colin I am in total agreement with you regarding the .17hmr, all a bit silly really. Of course the other problem is obtaining non expanding .17hmr to use on the range, have you managed to source any?
Hi Chapuis Yes all rather silly and I think something nobody has properly investigated. There is .17HMR FMJ available but I have not bothered tracking any down as I now have no use for it. I see plenty of low velocity 22 LR hollow point used on the range and if penetration is a problem in sand then expanding ammo would soon resolve that. I have expanding ammo on my FAC for all my guns and there again I can't see why it can't be used if legally held.
Colin,

Your FAC will specifically state that it can only be used for vermin/fox/deer etc or in connection with the management of any estate, other wildlife.

Expanding cannot be used for target practice.

Mike
It allows for zeroing and thats really all I want to be able to do at 50 yards on Melville protected from side winds by the sleeper walls.
ColinR

#33 Post by ColinR »

JonC wrote:Thought expanding could be used for zeroing / practice but not for competitions or formal target shooting. Anyway I have .17HMR down for target shooting on my cert.
My understanding too. Where do you target shoot your .17HMR?
ColinR

#34 Post by ColinR »

the running man wrote:i suggest that the comment on it being too fast is utter rubbish..................
The NRA rules for Melville and Gallery Rifle state a maximum velocity of 2150 ft/secs - .17HMR is the upper side of 2500ft/secs, so technically they are right. They also say it is a rifle calibre. There are pistols in .17HMR as well as rifles, just as there are in .22LR (LR = Long RIFLE). So .22LR is a RIFLE calibre too, it says it clearly in the round description, but that is allowed. So .17HMR being classified as a rifle round by the NRA does not carry much weight either alongside .22LR - realising this maybe now they will ban .22LR. It would be nice for some consistency. But it is the NRA's ball and they make the rules we must play by; however ill considered and confused they might be.
the running man

#35 Post by the running man »

All ide. Want to do is zero as well,have you noticed that .22 magnum seems to be ok to shoot on melville too! ...........17 more damaging than 7.62! Don't make me laugh!
ColinR

#36 Post by ColinR »

the running man wrote:All ide. Want to do is zero as well,have you noticed that .22 magnum seems to be ok to shoot on melville too! ...........17 more damaging than 7.62! Don't make me laugh!
7.62 cannot be shot on Melville due to it having a velocity of >2600 and an energy in excess of the maximum 1496ft/lbs and it is clearly a rifle calibre - well that's my understanding, but you may know something more. .22Mag falls below both velocity and energy maximums allowed, but again it started life as a rifle cartridge.
the running man

#37 Post by the running man »

Never said 7.62 is allowed on melville just that someone at the nra has told someone that .17 is more damageing to the butts than 7.62! Wich is allowed on running deer 3meters left of mellville!
Sim G
Past Supporter

#38 Post by Sim G »

MiLisCer wrote:Expanding cannot be used for target practice.

Unless it's for use in a rifle with a tubular magazine. (HO Guidance to Police 2002, 3.16 if memory serves)
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
ColinR

#39 Post by ColinR »

the running man wrote:Never said 7.62 is allowed on melville just that someone at the nra has told someone that .17 is more damageing to the butts than 7.62! Wich is allowed on running deer 3meters left of mellville!
NRA official said the sand on the stop at Melville is very thin and consequently easily penetrated - he actually said .17HMR was more penetrating than .357 or .44 magnum. Thats like saying .17HMR will perform better in ballistic gel than either of these two magnum calibres - no doubt police forces and the military around the world will be taking note and re-equipping personnel with .17HMR due to its superior stopping power and cheapness.
the running man

#40 Post by the running man »

I know which caliber ide rather be shot with!