NRA Target Shotgun rule book

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: NRA Target Shotgun rule book

#11 Post by Ovenpaa »

I have a friend who shoots .410 slug and it is impressively accurate at 100 yards, certainly better than some .303's I have shot!
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
The Cupcake Kid

#12 Post by The Cupcake Kid »

Do you know what gun he uses?
"Wherever Pie Man is, The Cupcake Kid will not be far behind"
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#13 Post by IainWR »

Should I be getting in a load of .410" at the NRA Armoury?

The stuff costs a ridiculous price compared with 12g (economies of scale), but if there are a load of people who want it, I'd like to know so I can go negotiating for bigger quantities (or get Fred to negotiate for me) to do the best price we can. But if it's going to be the odd packet or two, we'll get what the NRA needs for its own purposes and sell the small surplus at a reasonable margin.

Iain
NRA Firearms Manager
greenshoots

#14 Post by greenshoots »

Should I be getting in a load of .410" at the NRA Armoury
not for me shall be going down the brass 303 reloading route tactical levergun here i come

bangbang

greenshoots
Green by Design
Sandgroper
Site Supporter Since 2015

#15 Post by Sandgroper »

IainWR wrote:Should I be getting in a load of .410" at the NRA Armoury?

The stuff costs a ridiculous price compared with 12g (economies of scale), but if there are a load of people who want it, I'd like to know so I can go negotiating for bigger quantities (or get Fred to negotiate for me) to do the best price we can. But if it's going to be the odd packet or two, we'll get what the NRA needs for its own purposes and sell the small surplus at a reasonable margin.

Iain
NRA Firearms Manager
That's why I loaded my own! What was available was horrendously expensive - when it was available. :cool2: Not likely up here anyway.

Like I mentioned earlier, my concern regarding a .410 is the power levels required to knock over steel plates. IIRC this is the reason why 20 gauge is the minimum for practical shotgun - ready to be corrected! ;)

I'm not a NRA member and unlikely to venture south shoot target shotgun and unless Strathpeffer (or another local club) takes it up, this will probably be just wishful thinking! :cry:
“The standard you walk past is the standard you accept.”

Lieutenant General David Morrison

I plink, therefore I shoot.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#16 Post by Sim G »

Unfortunately, at Lydd and Hythe, the prospect of probably around 100 people, and was growing, from continuing with the discipline has been destroyed. The Range Officer, some ex-small arms school, has banned the use of solid slug on these ranges for civilians!

No one knows why as a reason has not been given....
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Dangermouse

#17 Post by Dangermouse »

James,

When the SAFIR AR style .410 was released a few years back CHUCK from the forum was interested in having them brought in to the country. At that time he could see that they would have had a purpose on the Target Shotgun comps as was ran at Bisley, at the time and he asked me to check the rules.
The rules may not have stated that .410 was not allowed but the entry forms certainly stated that it was a 12 gauge comp, maybe also 20 gauge.
Asking on the range confirmed that .410's could take part but their scores would not be counted etc. Looking at available ammunition at that time quickly raised the issue of cost, it would have been an expensive way forward for little reward.

You may want to check the wording on the entry forms and get it changed if necessary, but I have to say that from the start I believe that .410 should be in a class of its own.

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
JSHarris
Home club or Range: Old Windsor

#18 Post by JSHarris »

phaedra1106 wrote:No problem with the variations but the firearms manager is not happy about the solid slug conditions (which they agreed to and put on last year). Firstly saying I had to be a member of the UKPSA to have them (wasn't last year when they gave me them) then that my club had to be.

Utter rubbish, the problem is that FEO's dont tend to do anything more than open the guidance and apply it in their own interpretation. If you demonstrate "good reason" for possessing/using solid slug then you should be issued the relevent condition on your FAC. Normally it will only be granted for " target shooting on ranges cleared for that ammunition type and with adequate insurance in place"

Point them my way

targetshotgun@nra.org.uk

thanks

james
phaedra1106
Past Supporter

#19 Post by phaedra1106 »

Thanks, it's now sorted, got it back on Monday.

Conditions for slug are the same as were previously on it,

The 12 bore Shot Guns/ Solid Slug shall be used for practical target shooting:-
a. on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet
any injury or damage claim, or:
b. over a course of fire approved by a qualified member of the UKPSA on land over which the holder has lawful
authority to shoot.
There's room for all Gods creatures, next to the mash and gravy :)
saddler
Home club or Range: NTSA, East Scotland Rifle Club, Vintage Arms Scotland (guest at competitions), Carlisle Small Arms Club (guest for PSG matches)

#20 Post by saddler »

phaedra1106 wrote:Thanks, it's now sorted, got it back on Monday.

Conditions for slug are the same as were previously on it,

The 12 bore Shot Guns/ Solid Slug shall be used for practical target shooting:-
a. on ranges suitable for the safe use of that class of firearm and with adequate financial arrangements in place to meet
any injury or damage claim, or:
b. over a course of fire approved by a qualified member of the UKPSA on land over which the holder has lawful
authority to shoot.
What is the general consensus re. the highlighted text?
I was told some time back that the qualified UKPSA/land clause was superseded for several valid reasons & such wording should no longer be used

Comments?