Is the grunig rifle still competitive for TR shooting

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
TFR

Is the grunig rifle still competitive for TR shooting

#1 Post by TFR »

I have been shooting my 1978 Grunig for so long, I can't remember how long.
The rifling doesn't start any more, it sort of emerges a couple of inches down the barrel.
However, it still shoots quite well, but I don't know for how much longer...

I was thinking of replacing it with another grunig, the FT300.
Is this rifle still competitive for TR shooting ?

I still like the wooden supermatch stock. It is very comfortable and I would think that wood is good for damping vibrations, but I do accept than the bedding is important.
Has anyone any thoughts on wood vs metal vs carbon fibre stocks, particularly for this action ?

And as I find the choice action, barrel profile, twist, bullet weight, etc so overwhelming.
Has anyone any thoughts on the above ?

Is there a difference between the FT300 and the ST version ?

I know I've asked so many questions, but thanks for your help.
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Is the grunig rifle still competitive for TR shooting

#2 Post by Ovenpaa »

Welcome to the forum TFR.

From memory Rox of this forum shoots Grunig so he is certainly someone who should be qualified to comment and will hopefully spot your post.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
DW58
Home club or Range: Cawdor RGC

#3 Post by DW58 »

Welcome TFR.

Have you considered simply replacing your barrel?
Rob
.22 Anschütz 1416 | .22 Browning T-Bolt | .222 Rem CZ (Mod) | .223 Rem Tikka/KRG X-Ray chassis | .243 Win/.308 Win Sauer 200 (Mod) | .308 Win Tikka T3/GRS Bolthorn chassis | .300 WSM Tikka T3/KRG X-Ray chassis| .308 Sig Sauer SSG 3000 | 7.5x55mm K31
TFR

#4 Post by TFR »

I have considered a new barrel but this would leave me without a rifle for some time and I am looking to improve my shooting which may involve quite a change.
My current barrel dates back to the days of 144grn ROF ammo and is quite tight with a 1:14 twist.

My thoughts are possibly to move to a much faster twist and shoot 185 grn juggernauts.

I will need some time to work up a load and test everything, and could continue using my old grunig until I am happy with the new one, at which point I could rebarrel the old grunig with perhaps a similar barrel to the one it already has on it.

This reminds me of the 'old days' when shooters would have two rifles, a slow twist for short range, and a fast twist for long range.

Anyone any thoughts on this ?

Thanks
mag41uk
Home club or Range: Aldershot R & P Club

#5 Post by mag41uk »

Put in a variation for another 308!

May be worth talking to HPS regarding a rebarrel.
rox

#6 Post by rox »

TFR wrote:I was thinking of replacing it with another grunig, the FT300.
Is this rifle still competitive for TR shooting ?
I've used Grünigs for TR since the late 80s. I certainly find them competitive; they've taken me to plenty of Queen's finals including a top ten finish, to a Commonwealth Games, and delivered double gold in a Commonwealth Championships. I see very few of them on the range, however.

My first rifle was the round action, and I now shoot ST200s in XRS stocks. I've never felt the need or wish to use the newer FT300 as I'm familiar with the ST200 and have plenty of spare parts and experience with it. They have also come-up more often on the second-hand market, from which I've built-up a set. In fact, my No 1 rifle is actually the oldest one (even older than my round action Grünig), though it's had a new trigger, new extractors, firing pins and most internal bolt parts, and a couple of stocks and plenty of barrels.
TFR wrote:And as I find the choice action, barrel profile, twist, bullet weight, etc so overwhelming.
Has anyone any thoughts on the above ?
Since TR is usually restricted to a bullet weight of less than 156 grains, the barrel choice is typically a 12" to 14" twist (typically 13" to shoot all distances from 300x to 1000x with one rifle), a length of 30" (a few are choosing 32" recently), one of the Palma profiles, and often a non-standard 0.298" bore dimension (or 0.299") rather than the standard 0.300" – obviously this will have an effect on pressures compared with standard dimensions, and accordingly there is a special proofing regime. Bartlein and Krieger are the most popular at the moment.
TFR wrote:Has anyone any thoughts on wood vs metal vs carbon fibre stocks, particularly for this action ?
I've used aluminium stocks for about 10 years. They are much less susceptible to rain than traditional bedding and don't warp when travelling, but it did take me quite a while to get used to them; some people who switched to aluminium gave-up and switched back. I like the ability to swap multiple actions into one stock; for years I shared one stock between my TR, my 300m rifle and my .22, guaranteeing a (nearly) identical position and improving the cross-training benefit. Today 4 actions share 3 stocks, reducing the amount of swapping. I know one person who uses the carbon fibre stocks (he has 3!). I'm not sure I would buy them even if I were made of money. To my mind the XRS is preferable to the more expensive RSIII version and when introduced they were good value, though they have all gone up in price recently, the difference exacerbated by the effect of the referendum on the value of the pound.

TFR

#7 Post by TFR »

Thanks for taking the time to do such a good reply...

Just a couple more thoughts....

What are your/everyone's thoughts on using small primer cases, and do these work ok in the grunig action, and finally, rifling profile.... 5R ?

Thanks again
The Gun Pimp

#8 Post by The Gun Pimp »

TFR - home Range is Diggle? Take your rifle into Stuart's shop - Osprey Rifles - tell him you want a new barrel but don't want your rifle 'off the road' for months.

Once he has the barrel, give him your rifle and he can turn it round in a week but of course you then have the proofing problem.

If you are willing to do your own Proof House run, this will save a month.

Stick with a 1 in 13 twist and shoot 155 bullets. 5R rifling? Won't make any difference - just see what barrel Stuart can get for you fairly quickly - choose 'light' Palma or 'heavy'.

You don't 'need' to go to the small primer brass - you aren't running FTR pressures. But, whatever you do, when you get your new barrel buy a box of new Lapua brass.