Trafalgar 2016

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
froggy
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: HPRP (UK) + Corsaires Malouins (France) + Czech Rep

Re: Trafalgar 2016

#11 Post by froggy »

Congrats Idge !! :good:
Want to shoot pistol ? Don't retreat... reload & run forward !!
http://dynamicshootingcz.co.uk/
idge

#12 Post by idge »

Yes the k98 pattern rifles are great fun to shoot and can be very accurate. I used to shoot an m48 and have always regretted letting it go.
Thanks Froggy it was a fun day.
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#13 Post by FredB »

I got my first place medal for the 100yd Rook & Rabbit rifle comp today. Thing, is, out of five comps, this was the one that I thought that I had done badly in! The German semi-schutzen rifle that I bought from Adam earlier in the year had its first outing: I had not shot it at 200yds off-hand before and needed 5 sighters rather than the the 2 which are allowed----as a result it only managed 5th place. I had shot it at 100yds before though and came second in the "any gallery rifle" event. It is a superb piece of kit and I hope to do better next year. At the age of 74, you just carry on and keep trying, always hoping that you will still be steady enough next year.
More shooters in this country should learn about the 8.15 x 46R round. Although it looks like a modern full bore rifle round, it was developed in the black powder era and the factory round only achieved 1450 ft / sec, making it well within the usual gallery rifle range limits. The " stop-ring bullet design allows reloading simply without dies and it is superbly accurate.

Fred
idge

#14 Post by idge »

Congrats on the rook and rabbit medal fred. What is a shutzen rifle I have seen it on the entry form but never really sure what the critera is?
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#15 Post by FredB »

Schutzen style competitions go back to crossbows in Germany and Switzerland. The basic course of fire is 20 shots at 200yds off-hand. Rifles are custom made single shots with Martini or falling block actions. From early in the 20th century onwards, the standard calibre has been 8.15 x 46r.
Major annual events were held with thousands of competitors. When Hitler came to power, he tried to replace the disciple with target shooting that had some military application---in other words, prone, military calibres---exactly like BrItIsh target shooting.
I have attempted to attach a picture of my Buchel Meister. This is a later, 1930s rifle. Early examples are usually heavily engraved.
Fred
Attachments
Moeller resized.jpg
idge

#16 Post by idge »

really interesting looking rifle Fred with some real target shooting heritage too.
idge

#17 Post by idge »

my Swedish M96 as requested by Saddler and you couldn't be more right there is no issue with the rifle I just need more practice with it.
Attachments
20161105_133705.jpg
20161105_133611.jpg
20161105_133531.jpg
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#18 Post by Robert303 »

Congratulations idge. Great result. I used to enjoy the Trafalgar before I got caught up helping a mate on his trade stand. We decided to give up trading and get back to shooting. However he now has a dodgy wrist due to arthritis and I'm in a wheelchair. All it means is that I'll have to plan ahead re accommodation and get one arm of the chair adapted so I can shoot from it. The good thing about shooting at the Trafalagr is that it is not ultra competitive and people will help you out so don't be scared of shooting at Bisley. Print off the results sheet, even if you came last, as when it comes to FAC renewal time you have proof of real competition and the name Bisley still strikes a bell with some FEOs.
idge

#19 Post by idge »

Thanks Robert that is a good tip about printing off the results. Good to hear your not letting your health get in the way of your shooting, I used to shoot with a guy that got special permission from the nra to shoot f-class comps from a bench due to bad back issues it helped him to keep competing for awhile .
Robert303
Home club or Range: Vintage Arms Scotland. Full voting HBSA member

#20 Post by Robert303 »

idge, thanks for your message. That's the point people get frightened of Bisley thinking they will not know the 'etiquet' or procedures. However if you ask for help you will get it 99% of the time. If you are a first time shooter at Bisley tell the RO and the 2 people you'll be sharing the firing point with, you shoot in turn on the same target, they will help you with the scoring procedures. Years ago at work I wanted leave to go to Bisley for the Trafalgar and there was a bit of a fuss about it. When the big boss heard it was because I was shooting at Bisley my immediate boss was told in no uncertain terms that I was to get my leave. The name still counts esp with the older generation.
Many years ago my club the New Pistol Club started the Scottish Classic Pistol Championship 1) to try and make some money 2) to give a lot of guys we knew who had classic pistols the chance to compete and 3) To give them results sheets they could show the police, Strathclyde were being a bit 'Difficult' at the time. When pistols were banned we joined the Vintage Arms Scotland and persuaded them to hold a Scottish Classic Rifle shoot each Sep and I'm glad to say that they have done so for the last few years.