CSR Rifle Suitability

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
RBL Match
Home club or Range: NRA

Re: CSR Rifle Suitability

#31 Post by RBL Match »

Mikaveli wrote:
OK, but where is the advice to the contrary coming from?
From people who don't know what they are posting and who probably don't shoot CSR.
Current Civilian Service Rifle and Practical Rifle Classes (from the 2016 NRA Bible):

Historic Enfield
a. Any SMLE, No 4 or No 5 .303” service rifle
b. Rests may not be used
c. Trigger weight 4.5lbs minimum
d. As issued sling

Any Iron

a. Iron sights only
b. No restriction on slings
c. Rests are prohibited
d. Trigger weight 4.5lbs minimum
e. Magazine resting is permitted, no part of the wrist of the supporting
arm may touch the ground

Service Optic

a. No restriction on slings
b. Magazine resting is permitted, but no part of the wrist of the
supporting arm may touch the ground
c. Fore grips are prohibited, as are any modi cations to the fore end,
such as hand or sling stops, intended to facilitate an advantage with
the support hand.
d. Bipods are prohibited
e. Trigger weight 4.5lbs minimum
f. Optic sights maximum magni cation of 4.bowl

Practical Optic

a. No restriction on slings or rests
b. Bipods may be used, but must remain tted at all times
c. Vertical fore grips may be used, but must remain tted at all times
d. Trigger weight 1.5kg minimum
e. No restriction on optic sights
Anything that complies with the above can be used. There are some proposals to change the Classes that, when approved by the NRA Shooting Committee, will be introduced in time for the 2017 Imperial. Anything that complies now will still be eligible to enter a CSR Match but may find themselves in a different class to the one they maybe in now.
polemass
Home club or Range: NRA Shooting Club Bisley

#32 Post by polemass »

Mikaveli wrote:From people who don't know what they are posting and who probably don't shoot CSR.
Ahh yes...or no-there is no contrary in my post.You can shoot NOW ak,vz,svd(in a non-Nato calibre)in SO but after rule changes this is it....you are out to another class-irons or PO.
Oh,RBL Match....once I was shooting just next to you...and you did not liked my shooting/rifle straight away :wave:
breacher wrote:There is nothing to stop you using an AK in CSR but then again, there is nothing to stop you driving a Citroen 2CV in a drag race.
Wow,you are not so good in driving/shooting....my last 300m at fig.12 was 9 "in" plus 2 sighters(1 went AWOL when double stage trigger went to one stage :cry: ..)

But...again,what do I know-only one thing-whatever the class if you shoot min75% and above 175points it is OK and always can be cross referred with others green55
RBL Match

#33 Post by RBL Match »

So what's the problem then?

The propsals for rule changes were put in place to tighten up some areas and relax others. There will be no pleasing everybody, there never is.

All FSU rifle fans are still welcome as there will always be a class to shoot in. If you really do object you could organise a match at Bisley, or elsewhere, just for FSU rifles, I'm sure you would get lots of support.
polemass wrote: Oh,RBL Match....once I was shooting just next to you...and you did not liked my shooting/rifle straight away :wave:
IIRC that would be the one that had bits falling of it and a tendency to occasionally go click rather than bang when the trigger was squeezed. ;)
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#34 Post by breacher »

Wow,you are not so good in driving/shooting....my last 300m at fig.12 was 9 "in" plus 2 sighters(1 went AWOL when double stage trigger went to one stage :cry: ..)

Sounds like you should come along then - with that sort of ability you should be way up near the top of the scores.
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
polemass

#35 Post by polemass »

Problem,no-not any more for me,I learn the lesson.More like star example of divided community just in one discipline....but,it can look opposite from the other site,hmm...
Clikcs and no bang???-yes,few times...but falling off bits-highly unlikely,yet...from my body will be first,probably... ;)
polemass

#36 Post by polemass »

breacher wrote:Wow,you are not so good in driving/shooting....my last 300m at fig.12 was 9 "in" plus 2 sighters(1 went AWOL when double stage trigger went to one stage :cry: ..)

Sounds like you should come along then - with that sort of ability you should be way up near the top of the scores.

I was,next to you....check October pics on NRA site :wave:
RBL Match

#37 Post by RBL Match »

polemass wrote:More like star example of divided community just in one discipline...
Yes we are divided into four class but otherwise very much united and growing.
polemass

#38 Post by polemass »

Yeah,but according to one classic writer and my life experience..."some animals are more equal than other"...ha,cest la vie....can be worse O:-)
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#39 Post by Maggot »

The only way to work out what is competitive is to take a look at what the top SO and PO shooters are using. Not one AK or SVD amongst them but crack on, its all doable and different rifles suit different people.

Whatever is legal and suitable is what you need to worry about until you decide to commit to CSR in the league.

Try the training day (but dont forget that you will also be doing a lot of shooting at 12c and 14, so a good score on a 12 is not a massive achievement unless there is a blow on, particularly not with a bipod and a bloody great heavy bullet). The training days and the matches are different in many ways.

At the closer ranges there is not much between SO/PO. Bipods and heavy rifles are great for the 300-500 when prone, but they can be a pig standing etc, so its swings and roundabouts.

The calibre/chambering thing is not in yet. It was as far as I understand to try and keep the rifles within the "Spirit" of CSR. The horse has bolted with brakes etc, but positional techniques and wildcat type setups are still able to give and advantage so they have been looked at. As was stated they wont come in until the Imperial because a lot of them were picked up during this league and it would be unfair to change anything mid season.

Given the whole CSR thing was based on the service matches, then 7.62x51/5.56x45 makes sense...or if you want to split hairs .308 Win/.223 Rem.
Laurie

#40 Post by Laurie »

Maggot wrote:The calibre/chambering thing is not in yet. It was as far as I understand to try and keep the rifles within the "Spirit" of CSR. The horse has bolted with brakes etc, but positional techniques and wildcat type setups are still able to give and advantage so they have been looked at. As was stated they wont come in until the Imperial because a lot of them were picked up during this league and it would be unfair to change anything mid season.

Given the whole CSR thing was based on the service matches, then 7.62x51/5.56x45 makes sense...or if you want to split hairs .308 Win/.223 Rem.
I'm not a CSR competitor, but can understand that. Look across the seas to the American PRS circuit and the 'in' cartridge changes almost annually - 260 Rem, 6.5X47 Lapua, Tubb 6XC, 6.5mm Creedmoor, and now 6mm Creedmoor. The flip side of the freedom coin is constant and substantial upgrades at considerable expense, not to mention the move to 6mm cartridges with barrel lives well under 2,000 rounds in a hot loads / rapid fire scenario.