Any Lever Release owners shooting practical this year?

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

Re: Any Lever Release owners shooting practical this year?

#11 Post by breacher »

shugie wrote:
Maggot wrote:Fair, you did write practical or otherwise....

I have seen one in use in the CSR league and I have a lot of time for the user, but the rifle seems a liability.

Personally, unless they were tried, tested, and proven to be necessary to compete then I would avoid, simply because the top people do nicely without them, and simplicity, accuracy and reliability are key in that particular discipline. Another of my bretherin is looking at getting one and I hope for his sake he keeps his straight pull...just in case. but if it works great.

Having had my fair share of stoppages with semi/fully autos in the past and so very few with straight pulls/bolties, if you dont need it, shove it :good:

I can create enough stoppages on my own ta wallhead Just ask Dan the man about the Roberts in March and my bout of firing point tourettes :run: Dropped 30 points by simply smacking a mag onto an open bolt....bugger....hardly missed a target after that as well by all accounts. If it had been the agony snaps no worries....but the fastest part of the rapid teanews My fault, lesson learned.
Agony snaps?
Prone snaps but with varying short to very long gaps between exposures.

I had no idea how painful it could be to stay in the prone aiming position for extended lengths of time ....... til I tried it !!
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
Airbrush
Home club or Range: Nra

#12 Post by Airbrush »

breacher wrote:
shugie wrote:
Maggot wrote:Fair, you did write practical or otherwise....

I have seen one in use in the CSR league and I have a lot of time for the user, but the rifle seems a liability.

Personally, unless they were tried, tested, and proven to be necessary to compete then I would avoid, simply because the top people do nicely without them, and simplicity, accuracy and reliability are key in that particular discipline. Another of my bretherin is looking at getting one and I hope for his sake he keeps his straight pull...just in case. but if it works great.

Having had my fair share of stoppages with semi/fully autos in the past and so very few with straight pulls/bolties, if you dont need it, shove it :good:

I can create enough stoppages on my own ta wallhead Just ask Dan the man about the Roberts in March and my bout of firing point tourettes :run: Dropped 30 points by simply smacking a mag onto an open bolt....bugger....hardly missed a target after that as well by all accounts. If it had been the agony snaps no worries....but the fastest part of the rapid teanews My fault, lesson learned.
Agony snaps?
Prone snaps but with varying short to very long gaps between exposures.

I had no idea how painful it could be to stay in the prone aiming position for extended lengths of time ....... til I tried it !!
Designed for 18 year old squaddies, not middle aged civvies with bad backs & aches & pains all over. troutslapping lol
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#13 Post by Maggot »

Poofters....agony snaps my arse, dont know how it got that name but thats what they call it (which is why I used it). Boredom snaps more like. As Bri says, some of the intervals were long enough to have a cat nap.

To be fair though Andy, that is one of the attractions. You dont spend too long in one position and it aint boring so on balance...."Boring/Agony" snaps should be used in future transactions regarding that particular practice....

The long range part if the High-power shoots is what kills me :bad:

How can the most relaxed position cause so much grief, particularly if you mag rest?....thats even worse!!

I am more likely to injure myself arriving on the firing point like a cross between Chris Ashton and a wet overweight Labrador O:-)
Airbrush

#14 Post by Airbrush »

Zeroing the .223 that I will be competing with this year, for good or bad.
shugie
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Sperry at Bisley

#15 Post by shugie »

Airbrush wrote:

Now that's a setup for getting through a shed load of ammo, lever release and electronic targets!
Careful now/that sort of thing
Airbrush

#16 Post by Airbrush »

shugie wrote:
Airbrush wrote:

Now that's a setup for getting through a shed load of ammo, lever release and electronic targets!
Ha ha that's exactly what the guy shooting next to us said.
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#17 Post by BooBoo »

Hi Airbrush,

Nice to see a video of the new purchase...

Looks like it has a slightly thicker (and stainless fluted) barrel than mine - what sort of accuracy are you getting and with what load?

Have you found that the case deflector puts a crease in the side of the ejected brass? Quite annoying that little unwanted feature (unless Bob has taken a dremmel to the deflector that is)!

I had mine out on an FCSA day the weekend before last (SPTA) and fired off 50 or so rounds at a Fig 12 ETR some 250 meters away. As it came up, so it went back down again on fall when hit so a very enjoyable few minutes was to be had. Less of the few actually as the ammo was quickly down range.

I'd be interested to know the experience of any other owners on here in terms of reliability / accuracy?

ATB,

Simon
Airbrush

#18 Post by Airbrush »

BooBoo wrote:Hi Airbrush,

Nice to see a video of the new purchase...

Looks like it has a slightly thicker (and stainless fluted) barrel than mine - what sort of accuracy are you getting and with what load?

Have you found that the case deflector puts a crease in the side of the ejected brass? Quite annoying that little unwanted feature (unless Bob has taken a dremmel to the deflector that is)!

I had mine out on an FCSA day the weekend before last (SPTA) and fired off 50 or so rounds at a Fig 12 ETR some 250 meters away. As it came up, so it went back down again on fall when hit so a very enjoyable few minutes was to be had. Less of the few actually as the ammo was quickly down range.

I'd be interested to know the experience of any other owners on here in terms of reliability / accuracy?

ATB,

Simon
Hi Simon,

Dan will be able to answer your case deflector question as he had all my brass ( no surprise there then.) lol I was just bemused to see brass smears on the case deflector as I'm not used to having one on the straight pull & .22's don't count, certainly chucks them out. shakeshout

As for accuracy we were just having a laugh seeing if it cycled ok on GGG 62/69 PPU 69/75 & RG which it did faultlessly, the serious accuracy tests are next on the agenda.

Compared to my straight pull it's a heavy mutha but I knew it would be.

As for the barrel it never crossed my mind to ask for it to be painted so I was quite surprised to see it stainless, a paint job is on the cards.
BooBoo
Home club or Range: Various

#19 Post by BooBoo »

Ah yes, I thought I picked up DTM's dulcet tones... what would have given the game away would have been a hand appearing every now and then catching the brass mid flight!

:squirrel:

Good to see that having a go with mine didn't put you off!

Not wanting to void the Warranty, I've resorted to Hornady 55 FMJ steel case training... and it seems to like that. More than good enough for 1-3 ETR :-)

Any other members on here with experience of reliability / accuracy of LR223?
channel12
Home club or Range: WNSC

#20 Post by channel12 »

I was just bemused to see brass smears on the case deflector as I'm not used to having one on the straight pull
My lefty .223 straight pull retains the case deflector so I also get the brass smears on it.