PRACTICAL RIFLE & CIVILIAN SERVICE RIFLE at Diggle range

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
JS569
Home club or Range: catterick

PRACTICAL RIFLE & CIVILIAN SERVICE RIFLE at Diggle range

#1 Post by JS569 »

Hi all

I wondered if anyone knew much about this activity at Diggle range, it's a commutable range for me and I really want to get into a little bit of competition shooting with my rifles as at the moment I just shoot figure 11's and the occasional hunting trip. Hopefully I can improve my skill level and chart an improvement via scores/ times etc.

From what I've read this discipline also requires some physical exertion which is great; having seen a lot of the two gun/ 3 gun stuff in the U.S. which looks like good fun I've been looking for something similar here (I appreciate it will be a bit different here but none the less I like the idea of shooting classing as a bit of exercise too).

Obviously I could email Diggle and ask the following questions but I thought it might be worth getting some first hand experience or comments from the folks here. I've listed my questions here:
- Do I have to join the Diggle club to shoot in the competitions or is there simply a range/ competition fee?
- This sounds silly, but is it a fun activity
- How often do they shoot, is it a friendly bunch for new comers?
- What are the usual round counts
-How physical is it (I'm 30 and relatively fit so I wouldn't expect it to be an issue), what sort of activities do you do
- I've got a lot of the gear already, FAC, shooters card, AR straight pull/ classic military rifles, boots, hard wearing trousers etc. Is there anything special I would need
- What's the best way to get involved - should I call a specific person or just email the club?
- Anything I've not asked or thought of that I should know?

Many thanks for your advice in advance
The Gun Pimp

Re: PRACTICAL RIFLE & CIVILIAN SERVICE RIFLE at Diggle range

#2 Post by The Gun Pimp »

JS569 - the next CSR at Diggle is on August 19th.

Answering your questions:
You don't have to be a member to shoot - just turn up around 9.00am.
Is it a fun activity? - Oh yes!
We shoot CSR about once a month. Very friendly to newcomers.
Round count - that's one I can't answer but I know a man who can.
Too physical for me but fine for you.
Bring a sense of humor - it's the main bit of kit!
Call the organiser Dave Tickle on tickler1959@yahoo.co.uk
Anything else? Nope - just come and enjoy yourself and then see me (Vince) if you want to join.
JS569

#3 Post by JS569 »

Hi Vince,

thanks for that, I think I'm free that weekend so will (all things being well) do my best to get over to have a go. I'll email Dave to say hello.

Is there anything I should do to prepare, either in the way of gear or in terms of reading up on anything before I turn up?
sapper811

#4 Post by sapper811 »

Hi JS569. I shoot CSR at Diggle and can answer your questions

Do I have to join the Diggle club to shoot in the competitions or is there simply a range/ competition fee? - If you are not a PSSA member you will need to pay the visitor fee of £15. Each competition entered we charge the huge sum of £2.50 to pay for targets etc

- This sounds silly, but is it a fun activity. - Some of the best shooting going

- How often do they shoot, is it a friendly bunch for new comers? - we shoot once a month with the dates set on the range calendar. It is a fact that we are all very friendly and we only bite those that ask !! No seriously, we get quite a few people interested and who want to come to watch a comp or take part. Your very welcome ! Usually we meet at 0730 with a start on range time of either 8 or 08.30

- What are the usual round counts - Usually we shoot two competitions in one day - so maybe the urban match ( 100 down to 25 ) followed by a short range ( 300 down to 100 ) round count is on average 100 for the day

-How physical is it (I'm 30 and relatively fit so I wouldn't expect it to be an issue), what sort of activities do you do. Put it like this. We have 65 year old chaps shoot with us, we have certain members with medical conditions etc etc. There is no running hundreds of yards, no flinging yourself around. If you dont want to shoot kneeling then dont, stay standing. In short if you can stand and support yourself you can take part !

- I've got a lot of the gear already, FAC, shooters card, AR straight pull/ classic military rifles, boots, hard wearing trousers etc. Is there anything special I would need - its Diggle so bring sun block / the best water proofs you can find / As a visitor bring your FAC and you dont need your shooter card

- What's the best way to get involved - should I call a specific person or just email the club? I cam PM you. - if you send me your email by PM i will forward it to the person who organises all the shoots.

- Anything I've not asked or thought of that I should know? - the best way to find out if you may like it is to come and watch a comp
JS569

#5 Post by JS569 »

Finally, what time does it normally finish Vince?
Rockhopper

#7 Post by Rockhopper »

I can confirm that you'll receive a very warm welcome if you take a trip up there. I really need to go back one day!
JS569

#8 Post by JS569 »

Thanks ~guys, looking like I can make the 19th so I'll email the organiser and pop along either way with or without rifle etc.
sapper811

#9 Post by sapper811 »

JS569 wrote:Thanks ~guys, looking like I can make the 19th so I'll email the organiser and pop along either way with or without rifle etc.

Hi i have passed your email to the guy who organises us all. He should add you to the email list so you should get the email invite to the August shoot. I am not there for August but if you aim to turn up for 0700 - 0730 ish.
JS569

#10 Post by JS569 »

sapper811 wrote:
JS569 wrote:Thanks ~guys, looking like I can make the 19th so I'll email the organiser and pop along either way with or without rifle etc.

Hi i have passed your email to the guy who organises us all. He should add you to the email list so you should get the email invite to the August shoot. I am not there for August but if you aim to turn up for 0700 - 0730 ish.
Thanks Sapper, much appreciated! I look forward to hearing from him! thankssign