10/22 Scope Swapping

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Gh0st
Home club or Range: FDPC

10/22 Scope Swapping

#1 Post by Gh0st »

Currently have a 10/22 set up for Gallery Rifle Comps. More and more interested in doing some practical with it.

However while i have no issues acquiring a fast sight picture my 4-16x50 scope is not ideally suited and im more worried about it taking a knock.

I do have a spare Red dot, what are peoples thoughts about swapping scopes, if replaced would they hold zero.

I know the obvious answer is to use another 10/22 for practical but funds are currently allocated towards other projects at the moment.
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

http://www.bulletsandpixels.co.uk www.fdpc.org.uk
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

Re: 10/22 Scope Swapping

#2 Post by safetyfirst »

I think it all depends on the quality of your mounts, some mounts are quick detach and specifically designed to return to zero and allow quick swaps. I have some American defence scope mounts that are very reliable in that regard, I only have two scopes and a few rifles so I often chop and change, noting zero settings for the turrets.
WelshShooter
Site Supporter Since 2016

#3 Post by WelshShooter »

Get yourself some quick detach rings for both the scope and the red dot scope. You set up the quick detach mount by screwing in the base to the rail like normal rings, but then you adjust a swing lever for the clamping of the mount. To remove and re-attach, you simply swing this lever to quickly swap scopes out.

If you want them to hold zero, then buy two sets of quality mounts such as the ones offered by Leupold or Warne.

Gh0st

#4 Post by Gh0st »

has anybody used a Mini red dot on the side of the scope mount, almost tactical style?
All views expressed are my own unless otherwise stated! So please take your time to consider my opinions as biased to what i think is best....

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Star Shooting Club

#5 Post by Dellboy »

By the time you buy the rings would it not be worth justing buying a cheap 10/22 mine cost me £100 scoped
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Enjoy today as tomorrow might not come .

Noli pati a scelestis opprimi.

Gh0st

#6 Post by Gh0st »

Im sure there are plenty out there, but i may as well just wait and buy another 10/22 rather than an in between gun. If you know what i mean

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021

#7 Post by Dellboy »

theres a moderated scoped one at a dealers for £195 and a moderated unscoped at £95
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Dellboy
Site Supporter 2021

#8 Post by Dellboy »

you will prob change a lot anyway
2020 GOOD DEALS WITH

Cutch Vortex Scope
Mauserbill Enfield Books

Gh0st

#9 Post by Gh0st »

exactly. I may as well just go custom from the outset

JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#10 Post by JSC »

The critical things to ensure any mount will give you the same zero when taking a scope on and off a rail are:

1. They go on the same part of the rail each time (stating the obvious, but bear with me)
2. Any 'slack' on the mount in the forward/back direction is taken up by pushing the mount/scope forward on the rail before tightening or clamping it
3. (The most important one) Make sure the screws or clamping mechanism is tightened to the same torque every time

If you follow these steps, you won't see any appreciable shift in zero, assuming you're using high quality rings/QR mounts in the first place.

Having said all that, there is the 'psychological effect' which will be nagging at you. i.e. "I've changed something, so it might not be the same as it was before".

Ultimately, the best way to be 100% sure is to dedicate a scope to a gun and leave it on all the time. Make sure you regularly check ALL the bolts are torqued up correctly though, or one day you'll find out they've loosened off and your POI has shifted (ask me how I know!).