First Comp

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Lever357
Home club or Range: Louisa Centre

First Comp

#1 Post by Lever357 »

I started gallery rifle shooting earlier this year using my Ruger 10/22 and Uberti .38 just as a bit of fun and something different. Well two of the guys who shoot it are very good and shoot in competitions and they persuaded me to enter the Joint Services Pistol Club Open in Galashiels last weekend.

It was a great day, nice range, good set up and very friendly people.

I felt rather pleased with myself when the results came through - in T&P1 for centre fire I was placed 25 out of 28 with a score of 284/300 with 2xs. The top ten all scored 300/300 and all the top twenty scored 295 or above with various xs. What made me even happier was that I was the only person using a lever action without a scope!
Remember, we're all here because we're not all there!
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

Re: First Comp

#2 Post by Daryll »

Well done Lever...!!

Entering that first "serious" comp is a daunting prospect, but it sounds like you held your nerve, and just need some practise to get up with the best of them..
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#3 Post by mr smith »

What day were you shooting,I was there on the Sunday.You weren't shooting the shiny lever action were you.
Lever357

#4 Post by Lever357 »

mr smith wrote:What day were you shooting,I was there on the Sunday.You weren't shooting the shiny lever action were you.
Ha ha, yes that was me!!!!
mr smith
Home club or Range: Dundee Rifle and Pistol Club

#5 Post by mr smith »

Lever357 wrote:
mr smith wrote:What day were you shooting,I was there on the Sunday.You weren't shooting the shiny lever action were you.
Ah yeah I remember the authenticity of it being discussed.Hope you'll find yourself up at JSPC again next year. :good:
RDC

#6 Post by RDC »

Sounds like you had a good day and enjoyed it!
Les
Site Supporter Since 2015
Home club or Range: WRPC

#7 Post by Les »

You've got the first - and worst! - competition under your belt. The rest will get easier as you go along. Well done! Image
Lever357

#8 Post by Lever357 »

mr smith wrote:
Lever357 wrote:
Ah yeah I remember the authenticity of it being discussed.Hope you'll find yourself up at JSPC again next year. :good:
In a good way or bad way???

I heard a few people asking my mate Doug Green what make was it and he replies it's a tarts gun ha ha! It's not stainless steel. It's carbon steel that is polished and then laquered and Uberti call it "In the White."

Thank you for all the feedback guys. I didn't do so well in the other disciplines, made schoolboy errors shooting too late, racking out a live round, etc etc but as I say thoroughly enjoyed the experience shooting along side members of the Scottish national team and some great shots from south of the border too.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#9 Post by Mattnall »

And you did it without a scope. Such classic designs aren't meant to have scopes fitted.

Good on you. :good:
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
Lever357

#10 Post by Lever357 »

Mattnall wrote:And you did it without a scope. Such classic designs aren't meant to have scopes fitted.

Good on you. :good:
Thank you, my thoughts exactly! John Wayne never used a scope on his lever action so I ain't going to either!!