Practical Pistol

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Blackstuff
Site Supporter Since 2015

Re: Practical Pistol

#11 Post by Blackstuff »

Shoot fast, don't miss, anything else is fannying about! lol
DVC
Sim G
Past Supporter

#12 Post by Sim G »

JSC wrote:
i.e.
Drawing from the holster with condition 1, 2 and 3 starts and hands by sides, on head, arms crossed, on table etc.
Mag changes
One-handed shooting (strong and weak hand)
Transferring pistol from strong to weak hand and vice versa
Picking up pistol from table with condition 1, 2 and 3 starts

Condition 2 start?! Are you sure?
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

Guns dont kill people. Dads with pretty Daughters do...!
Daryll
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: Isle Target Sports Club

#13 Post by Daryll »

Loaded mag inserted and hammer down on an empty chamber, if my memory still works.. (although its been 20+ years since I had to think about it...)
JSC
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA

#14 Post by JSC »

Sim G wrote:
JSC wrote:
i.e.
Drawing from the holster with condition 1, 2 and 3 starts and hands by sides, on head, arms crossed, on table etc.
Mag changes

Option 2, Condition 2, whatever you want to call it. As Daryll described. For whatever reason, James Harris seems to put a lot of these starts in his matches. A few inevitably forget to rack it and lose time.

It's caused me some problems with my new-ish K22 as unknown to me my right thumb would often end up in slightly the wrong place after I racked the slide causing the safety to be partially on when I started shooting. I've fixed it now ;) but this is the sort of thing you can analyse and sort out by lots of dry-firing before you get to the range.

If only I'd listen to my own advice sometimes... :oops:
Sim G
Past Supporter

#15 Post by Sim G »

Condition 2 is round in chamber, loaded mag, hammer down. Probably the most dangerous "condition" for a semi pistol. Some say that's how a DA revolver is carried, but as available for instant use, there's always been the argument that a DA revolver is Condition 1.

Loaded magazine with hammer down on an empty chamber is Condition 3, or "Israeli". That would make more sense and be what you describe.
In 1978 I was told by my grand dad that the secret to rifle accuracy is, a quality bullet, fired down a quality barrel..... How has that changed?

ordnance

#16 Post by ordnance »

JSC wrote:
Sim G wrote:
JSC wrote:
i.e.
Mag changes

Option 2, Condition 2, whatever you want to call it. As Daryll described. For whatever reason, James Harris seems to put a lot of these starts in his matches. A few inevitably forget to rack it and lose time.

It's caused me some problems with my new-ish K22 as unknown to me my right thumb would often end up in slightly the wrong place after I racked the slide causing the safety to be partially on when I started shooting. I've fixed it now ;) but this is the sort of thing you can analyse and sort out by lots of dry-firing before you get to the range.

If only I'd listen to my own advice sometimes... :oops:
What you describe is loaded not con 2 mag in gun not made ready. As you say you need to rack the slide to make ready. Most competitions i see here are started gun ready round in chamber hammer back safety, on or decocker used on guns with no safety catch. Or with sticker fired guns ( Glock etc. ) round in chamber ready to go and holstered.
JSC
Past Supporter

#17 Post by JSC »

I'm not talking about Jeff Cooper's original terms of condition 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, I'm referring to what is commonly used today as condition/option 1, 2, 3

i.e.

1= mag in, hammer down on a live round
2= mag in, empty chamber
3= completely empty

Feel free to argue about it with the RO when you shoot the match if you don't think these terms should be used, as I'm referring to how matches are shot at the AAW, which is the subject of this thread.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#18 Post by Sim G »

AAW?

When I was shooting IPSC and IDPA all over Europe, Conditions 1, 2 and 3 were as has been stated by myself and ordnance. As he lives in Northern Ireland, I believe he is still shooting IPSC comps...

JSC
Past Supporter

#19 Post by JSC »

AAW as mentioned in the first post...

If an RO says "option 2" at that meeting, it will mean mag in, empty chamber.
I realise it may be confusing if some are familiar with other matches/rules, which is why if anyone is unsure it's best to confirm what's meant before they start a stage.
Sim G
Past Supporter

#20 Post by Sim G »

JSC wrote:AAW as mentioned in the first post...
First post...
Keithkilvo1 wrote:So I've taken the plunge and entered the Practical Pistol comp on the Sunday af the AAW.

I feel like Alpha1 now... "AAW"?