CSR information

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
leeroy7031
Site Supporter 2021
Home club or Range: Uttoxteter Rifle Club, FCSA, Stafford Post Office Rifle & Pistol Club

Re: CSR information

#31 Post by leeroy7031 »

Cad Monkey wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:Putting your real name on an internet connected database then discussing the firearms you own just isn’t good practice in my personal opinion.

It doesn’t matter if the forum is “closed”, no forum is 100% secure, I see no reason for real names until you require them for a sale/purchase in which case do it offline.
Listen, at the end of the day shooting is a hobby and to some of us a completive sport which we participate in because we have a passion for it. Shooting is not a forbidden activity which should not be talked about in public and I really don’t understand your reluctance for the general public to know that you possess firearms…..it’s a legal pastime for Christ sake.
BTW my name is David Moran and I own one or two rifles………………….ah, that feels good, there really is nothing like coming out.
Dave, what I find funny is those FAC holders who post in their signature what they own.... then sell/buy off ticket items like scopes, rings etc

Excuse me sir... can I purchase your £20 scope rings, let me have your address so I can post these to you....

Yeah great. Social engineering at its basics, thanks for letting me know you have X and live Y. Consider this when selling on ticket items as well.

All online forums do it, people are blind. As for forum security let’s not go there, most of these can be easily popped or users douped into giving away sensitive info. Be vigilant people.
Strangely Brown wrote:
safetyfirst wrote:I’m not much of a competitive shooter really and would opt out of published scores if there was an option, I’ve only ever competed against myself really, though I am squadded thanks to an appearance at the Phoenix and Derby Open.
Trust me, CSR isn't for you!
You’re right there Mike... some serious competition goes on.... as well as a lot of banter and plenty of fun. lol
Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician ............ "Lieutenant Colonel Jeff Cooper"
Maggot
Home club or Range: HRA and LERA

#32 Post by Maggot »

safetyfirst wrote: Shooting is a law-abiding past time, perhaps one of the most law-abiding pastimes. But that does not mean we should dismiss the requirement for a bit of “operational security” when it comes to weapons stored in our homes.
No. No. No.

Opsy? If your life is that exiting that you have to worry about Opsy, then not only is CSR not for you, but you should not be on any forums or social media, and as likley not messing about with guns publically at Bisley.

Bottom line, no name, no packdrills for you sadly. IF folk try an alias and get caught, (you will be, we all know each other which is the point) expect to get binned.

The chain is fairly simple. The NRA know your details, they have to for legal reasons. You need to show your SSC before starting out on a CSR season or the Imprial. In the not too distant future these will be Photo ID. If you falsify info on line, there is also the missuse of communications act to think about.
Mattnall
Site Supporter Since 2016
Home club or Range: Harlow TAC, NRA, BSRC

#33 Post by Mattnall »

Maggot wrote:
safetyfirst wrote: Shooting is a law-abiding past time, perhaps one of the most law-abiding pastimes. But that does not mean we should dismiss the requirement for a bit of “operational security” when it comes to weapons stored in our homes.
No. No. No.

Opsy? If your life is that exiting that you have to worry about Opsy, then not only is CSR not for you.
But he does store weapons at home.
Arming the Country, one gun at a time.

Good deals with Paul101, Charlotte the flyer, majordisorder, Charlie Muggins, among others. Thanks everybody.
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#34 Post by breacher »

I think a certain balance has to be found.

A risk assessment of sorts.

Sure, anybody looking at my facebook profile will see I own ( and compete with ) firearms. I took the precaution of not putting my full surname on there. However, by a bit of careful cross referencing of match results etc, one could identify me.

I tend to never leave vehicle registration number visible on my car if it appears in the background in a photo. I ask visitors to my home to refrain from "checking in" on facebook so my address is not displayed in that way.

I like to think the situational awareness I employ in my day to day life will preclude me blundering into being tailed home or carjacked. Normal crime prevention techniques will prevent the majority of firearms theft.

Back in the days when RUC became PSNI, I was one of the officers ( Irish, technically Catholic, serving in UK Police ) approached and offered an attractive package to transfer to PSNI - to basically bump up the numbers of the "minority". I looked at it and decided the risk ( to my family more than to me ) was a bit high and not quite worth it.

I would apply the same risk assessment to my chosen sport. If it got to the stage where FAC holders were targeted for burglary / carjacking on a weekly basis, if it got to the stage where antis became militant and actively looked for me etc etc etc, then I would have to look at whether it was really worth it.

But lets face it, we are nowhere near that state of affairs yet !
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
toffe wrapper

#35 Post by toffe wrapper »

safetyfirst wrote:Putting your real name on an internet connected database then discussing the firearms you own just isn’t good practice in my personal opinion.

It doesn’t matter if the forum is “closed”, no forum is 100% secure, I see no reason for real names until you require them for a sale/purchase in which case do it offline.

Well if I did my digging correctly.
It took me 2 minutes to find out your real name & what club you are in.
Your post stating 2nd place at the Derby open in A class multi target was the key. Unfortunately for your op sec all the results are listed on the internet.
just a matter of checking each year for who came 2nd and finding the uncommon name.

If I am wrong your op sec has held, If I am right its Walt Sec.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#36 Post by safetyfirst »

No, I think you’re probably right. See, doesn’t take much does it. :)

That’s the thing. You can behave openly and honestly like I did a few years back when talking about results (had no idea until later that they were on the nra site, I got my results from the board on the club). Then suddenly when you have a bit more of a think about things and decide perhaps an Internet forum isn’t the best place for your real name in connection with sought after weaponry (yes yes yes, they’re firearms, not weapons in our hands).... it’s too late. I think our forum sleuth has proven my point rather well as it happens.

Call me a Walt if you like though I’ve never been in the forces so can’t be sure if it’s meaning.

Perhaps this has made a few people think, I’ve certainly learnt a few things.

It’s all good banter, at least I’ve not been judgemental, presumptuous and rude, to people I’ve never met on a forum.

;)
Maggot

#37 Post by Maggot »

Mattnall wrote:
Maggot wrote:
No. No. No.

Opsy? If your life is that exiting that you have to worry about Opsy, then not only is CSR not for you.
But he does store weapons at home.
Along with thousands of others. I am holding back on this one, but when you truly understand and fall foul of failures in opsy then you might understand. If anybody wants to take your firearms, they are highly unlikley to look on a closed forum. There are so many other better ways of doing it, and given the numbers of snipers and members of the SF that inhabit Bisley, I would suggest that their opsy is suss to say the least, they talk too much.

As is typical, the fireside fusiliers are trying to argue an un-argueable point. Holding of firearms is based on trust, both that of the authorities and your peers. If you are not ready to just give someone your name, yet in return you want access to a closed communication forum, where many people sell, use, build firearms, and may share info regarding their private and professional lives, then folk probably need to think a while.

Bottom line, trust.
safetyfirst
Past Supporter

#38 Post by safetyfirst »

I’d broadly agree with you Maggot.

It’s about trust.

People that say it doesn’t matter what’s online because we don’t live in a society where it’s a big issue need to rethink though.

If security does become an issue, you can’t take back what you put online. It’s there pretty much forever.

It’s like when people say they don’t mind government surveillance and data mining because they trust the government. Hmm. What about the next government? And the next?

Worth a think innit.
Maggot

#39 Post by Maggot »

safetyfirst wrote:
It’s all good banter, at least I’ve not been judgemental, presumptuous and rude, to people I’ve never met on a forum.

;)
I am afraid I dont see the Walt side either, but it is all about trust. Many of those who have been attacked have been followed home from clubs etc.

I am afraid that to a good DMI (Or those with the right skills) social media means you may as well stand naked in the middle of Wembley and tell the world, but as I say, if you want groups of individuals to trust you, then you need to trust them. Its a 2 way street.

As has been said, the CSR Shooter forum is not an open forum for many reasons, its primary use is to communicate between those who shoot regularly in the league and the Imperial for coordination etc. "WE" have to know who you are, because when the matches are run you can get in excess of 120 people, all turning up with rifles expecting to be cut loose in all positions. SSCs have to be checked, briefings HAVE to be attended, and people will be called out by name to check SSCs if they are not already checked. A new shooter at a match will get pinged post briefing. Moreover, because not everyone has done this for years, Mark and the girls in the office will need to know who they are dealing with because the newer or first time shooters will be squadded together with an experianced CSR bod for obvious reasons. Sometimes they will squad some of us together just to keep us amuzed or away from decent people (like the RE posse in the Imperial cheers ).

Turn up and shoot in the league by all means and you will be welcome, however, your proper name will be published on squadding lists whether you are on the CSR shooter forum or not, and we will all get to see them. The squadding lists get sent out to all shooters in the league and are put on the forum in advance (as often shooters will spot errors and feed back thus checking and smoothing the shoots). Your SSC will be checked initially and should tally with the squadding list. The chances are you will engage in conversation with someone who is on the CSR forum and at some stage (usually sooner rather than later because shooting is quite an incestuous sport) you, "safety first" on the Fullbore UK forum will by known as "Mr whatever"...(or Mrs whatever for all we know, opsy and all that ;)) and there you go. Would you be taken seriously and trusted? I cant answer that mate, but you see why it is not unreasonable just to match a name to a face where large gatherings with firearms are concerned. You chat on the point, in the butts, at lunch, it will be a very lonely existence with something to hide...wont it? :cry:
Maggot

#40 Post by Maggot »

safetyfirst wrote:I’d broadly agree with you Maggot.

It’s about trust.

People that say it doesn’t matter what’s online because we don’t live in a society where it’s a big issue need to rethink though.

If security does become an issue, you can’t take back what you put online. It’s there pretty much forever.

It’s like when people say they don’t mind government surveillance and data mining because they trust the government. Hmm. What about the next government? And the next?

Worth a think innit.
Its a balance I am afraid. Sometimes transparency is necessary but read what I have said regarding the league and how it relates to the forum. The CSR forum, the NRA and the league all work as part of a system that has worked for years. Everybody on that shoot will be sent a squadding list and a results list, and it gets posted on the NRA website. I doubted it to start with but it works very well and people do look out for each other. I wont call you parranoid, I know better from my own experiances, but as I say, its a balance.