NRA Rule 207

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
PaulH68
Home club or Range: Bisley, Gally Hill Shooting Club

NRA Rule 207

#1 Post by PaulH68 »

Hi,

Could someone clarify NRA rule 207 for me?

If I fit a magnifying lens to my TR foresight (Eagle eye etc.), the rule states that only optically flat filters and/or a single prescription lens may be fitted to the backsight.

Does this mean that a variable dioptre eyepiece cannot now be used on the backsight?

Regards,

Paul
Pete
Past Supporter
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

Re: NRA Rule 207

#2 Post by Pete »

Well, a variable diopter eyepiece certainly isn't a single prescription lens..............

Pete
"Tantum religio potuit suadere malorum" Lucretius
You're offended? Please explain why your inability to control your emotions translates into me having to censor my opinions....
Site Supporter Since 2015

#3 Post by 1066 »

As I read it, no you can not use a variable diopter rear sight if you are already using a magnifying foresight (In effect making a long telescope.) Only a prescription lens can be used. (Rule 206 talks about getting permission in advance from the NRA to use a prescription lens in the rear sight.
TARGETMASTER
an altogether better trickler
www.targetmasteruk.com
Peter Leigh
Home club or Range: chepstow Rifle Club

#4 Post by Peter Leigh »

Dont know if this helps? quoted....
Gehmann Optics eagle eye...

Trials of the Gehmann ‘zero magnification’ diopter (Pt No. 50300-0 and combined derivatives with iris / optically flat filters etc.) indicate that this device (i) contains multiple lenses and (ii) if used in conjunction with a foresight lens (eagle eye) forms a Galilean telescope. This is currently not permitted under NRA Rules 150 & 207. Furthermore, it permits adjustment to a specification which is not ‘of a similar prescription to that which a competitor would use in everyday use’ which is not permitted under NRA Rule 206

Trials of the Gehmann ‘cylindrical lens system’ (Pt. No. 579) indicate this contains a multiple lens system which permits adjustment to a specification which is not ‘of a similar prescription to that which a competitor would use in everyday use’. Furthermore permission to use a prescription lens in the rear sight must be obtained in advance from the NRA and must be supported by an optometrist’s prescription. This device is therefore not currently permitted under NRA Rule 206

Regards
Peter
IainWR
Home club or Range: NRA Bisley

#5 Post by IainWR »

PaulH68 wrote:Hi,

Could someone clarify NRA rule 207 for me?

If I fit a magnifying lens to my TR foresight (Eagle eye etc.), the rule states that only optically flat filters and/or a single prescription lens may be fitted to the backsight.

Does this mean that a variable dioptre eyepiece cannot now be used on the backsight?

Regards,

Paul
You may use either a variable diopter rearsight or a magnifying lens in the foresight, but not both. Some other combinations are permitted. The comment above about creating a telescope is spot on.

yours

Iain
PaulH68
Home club or Range: Bisley, Gally Hill Shooting Club

#6 Post by PaulH68 »

Hi,

Thank you for all your replies and for clarifying this requirement.

Regards,

Paul