100 & 200 yds with pistol calibres (NRA Historics)

All types of competitive shooting including Bell Target, MR TR F/TR F Open, GR, Small Bore and BR

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
This section is for people who shoot or want to shoot in competitions and includes future events, how to get started, choice of rifle and calibres including wildcats, how to prepare for your competition, and of course how you did!
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

Re: 100 & 200 yds with pistol calibres (NRA Historics)

#11 Post by Jorden »

I do agree that we need to be circumspect on what we say in these strange times, but.... I do shoot 577/450 martini henry , I do not think you can argue that it was not originally designed and used as a weapon, does the change of use now change the definition of the article (topic for debate!)
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#12 Post by dromia »

Is that not just what I have been saying? Of course military firearms were intended as weapons but ones now held by legally authorised certificate holders or legally held by civilians as obsolete calibres they can no longer be classed as weapons, that does not need any debate.

It is the intent to which the firearm is going to be used defines it as a weapon in and of itself it is no more a weapon than a car or a stone.

Weapon is not a perpetual classification of a firearm, it is a word used to describe its intended purpose at any given time.

If it is not being owned with the intent to do harm then in no way can it be a weapon.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad
Analogue Good Digital Bad

Fecking stones

Real farmers don't need subsidies

Cow's farts matter!

For fine firearms and requisites visit

http://www.pukkabundhooks.com/
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#13 Post by bradaz11 »

knives are used to hurt people everyday, does that make every knife you own a weapon ? no of course not.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Jorden
Home club or Range: ponteland

#14 Post by Jorden »

Ah but... if I use a sword as a stake in the garden , does it stop being a sword?
dromia
Site Admin
Home club or Range: The Highlands of Scotland. Cycling Proficiency 1964. Felton & District rifle club. Teesdale Pistol and Rifle club.

#15 Post by dromia »

As you fail to see the merit in what we are saying then there is nothing further we can do to persuade to desist from assisting the anti gun agenda.

Your colours are clear now.

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#16 Post by Scrumbag »

Gents,

If we want a thread on correct terms can you please start a new one and stop derailing mine please?

Thanks in adavnce,

Scrummy
dromia
Site Admin

#17 Post by dromia »

It is not "your" thread.

It is the forums thread.

Tangental discussion is common and accepted here in the forum's threads, something you will need to get used to!

Come on Bambi get some

Imperial Good Metric Bad

Fecking stones

Cow's farts matter!

FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#18 Post by FredB »

There are 200 yard and 100 yard matches at the Trafalgar. Nobody cares what cases you use. If you use 44Special, you are crackers, as they cost more than 44 mag and will eventually lead to a build up of fouling in your chamber. You do not need heavy loads--- I have competed with reasonable success with 8 grn of Unique in a 44-40.

Fred
Scrumbag
Home club or Range: BSRC & HPRPC

#19 Post by Scrumbag »

FredB wrote:There are 200 yard and 100 yard matches at the Trafalgar. Nobody cares what cases you use. If you use 44Special, you are crackers, as they cost more than 44 mag and will eventually lead to a build up of fouling in your chamber. You do not need heavy loads--- I have competed with reasonable success with 8 grn of Unique in a 44-40.

Fred
Thanks Fred, that's really helpful.

Can I ask, did you use a Tang sight or a something like a receiver mounted Williams or Lyman?

Best wishes,

Scrummy

PS, wasn't planning on using 44 Special cases anywhere I didn't have to. Just if I had to ;)
FredB
Site Supporter Since 2019
Home club or Range: stourport

#20 Post by FredB »

My rifle is an original Winchester 1892 with an octagonal barrel. It was made in 1904 and marked on the barrel and stock in Cantonese: "Guan Dung Brigade". I believe that this is one of the militia forces set up by the foreigh legations after the Boxer rebellion and it still exists as part of the Red Army. In the 1980s, it was found in the attic of a house in South Kensington which was being redeveloped.
It is fitted with a Lyman Tang sight.
Fred