2012 F Class Calendar

News from the GB F Class Association.

Moderator: dromia

Forum rules
A section for GBFCA representatives to post news. Ask all your GBFCA questions in here.
John25

Re: 2012 F Class Calendar

#11 Post by John25 »

Gun Pimp wrote: But, what would you give to come home with that gold medal round your neck?

Vince
I would sell my soul, (at my age it would take several souls) and if I have, even at my stage of life and age lessening ability to learn to string shoot - so be it.

As Vince says, it's what we do, my disposable income is spent on my passion, shooting, not sleeping on a beach.

I wouldn't have it any other way, thankfully Viv. supports me in that as long as she gets a Radleigh every time I get a new barrel. :roll:

As our sport does not benefit from massive sponsorship we will always have to pay full price, and as in many other sports, the deeper your pocket, the easier it can become. But, however deep a person's pocket, whatever style they shoot, they still have to stick them all in the middle and that is a skill, a knack, the result of hours of preparation and practice and above all; a determined ability to WIN.

The bloke who wrote that it is the taking part that counts never won a thing.

Not one of us doesn't say to our fellow competitors, 'Good luck' without adding, either aloud or silently 'But not as much as me' - do we?

:cheers:
Gun rhymes with fun.

We are constrained only by the rules of safety and our own imagination.

John

http://www.bisleyshootingservices.co.uk
Gun Pimp

#12 Post by Gun Pimp »

John25 wrote:
Gun Pimp wrote: But, what would you give to come home with that gold medal round your neck?

Vince

Not one of us doesn't say to our fellow competitors, 'Good luck' without adding, either aloud or silently 'But not as much as me' - do we?

:cheers:
I shot with a Frenchman in the Benchrest Worlds a few years ago..............

"Good luck English" he says. "In England, it's bad luck to wish people good luck - we say 'break a leg'." I responded.

"Well actually in France we say 'f*** off you English b******!"

We couldn't shoot for laughing!

Vince
Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

#13 Post by Ovenpaa »

Gun Pimp wrote:I shot with a Frenchman in the Benchrest Worlds a few years ago..............

"Good luck English" he says. "In England, it's bad luck to wish people good luck - we say 'break a leg'." I responded.

"Well actually in France we say 'f*** off you English b******!"

We couldn't shoot for laughing!
:lol: :lol: A good ice breaker if nothing else. I remember shooting against someone I hold in very high regard for the first time. After his first shot I just heard a quiet 'Oops' from his direction, it bolstered me up no end :good:
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
Gun Pimp

#14 Post by Gun Pimp »

Dangermouse wrote:A plus side to string shooting that we have not had before is that it will now be possible to measure group sizes! I look forward to reading of records being set and broken in the 2012 season - especially the long range shoot,

DM
Dave,
I doubt that this will be done officially as each shot-hole will still be patched out after being indicated. They could be patched with a distinctive coloured spot, then measured at the end of the string but I can't see it happening. If you want group sizes - shoot benchrest!
Vince
Dangermouse

#15 Post by Dangermouse »

Vince,

I am very respectful of the talent and experience of the shooters in the league, I have no wish to go annoying anyone.
I do not like the approach of "we are OK jack" and think that as several of the shooters are making equipment or selling equipment for F class shooters that this approach is somewhat short sighted.
If the Diggle shoots get filled, then that suggests to me that there is need for more shoots.
I am not aware of how many competitors each range can handle, but I feel that by only having the number of comps that are currently held the number of shooters who can attend (the minimum of) 6 shoots must be restricted and thus in my mind the league is restricting it's own growth.

Personally, looking at the calender for 2012 there are only 2 comps that I may be able to enter, I suspect the Europeans may be problematic due to the Olympics and their impact on my work.
So for 2012 I will not be renewing my membership of the F Class league.
I think for 2012 I will concentrate on Gallery Rifle once more and possibly stick my nose in Hi Power to see what that is all about, certainly the money that I was saving for a custom F Class rifle will no longer be spent on F class,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
Forever Autumn, War of the Worlds.
Gun Pimp

#16 Post by Gun Pimp »

Dangermouse wrote:Vince,

I am very respectful of the talent and experience of the shooters in the league, I have no wish to go annoying anyone.
I do not like the approach of "we are OK jack" and think that as several of the shooters are making equipment or selling equipment for F class shooters that this approach is somewhat short sighted.
If the Diggle shoots get filled, then that suggests to me that there is need for more shoots.
I am not aware of how many competitors each range can handle, but I feel that by only having the number of comps that are currently held the number of shooters who can attend (the minimum of) 6 shoots must be restricted and thus in my mind the league is restricting it's own growth. DM
At the inaugral GBFCA League shoot in November 2005 at Bisley, Mik - the organiser (just back from the World Championships in South Africa) announced that it was his intention - through the League - to develop a team of shooters who were capable of beating the world's best F Class shooters with the aim of winning the next World Championships. In 2009, GB won the World Championships - both tean and individual - job done!

This was achieved by the best and the rest shooting against each other at each competition. It ups the standard of everyone's game.

If we had say five shoots at each venue, you could get the Scots shooting against each other at Blair, the Southerners sticking to Bisley and Diggle doing what they do now. When would we meet up? When would we shoot against each other? How would we improve? Even now, shooters will 'cherry pick' their comps.

The League has not only advanced the standard of shooting, it has also lifted the level of our equipment, so that it is the equal - if not better - than the rest of the world and for me, the fact that we are now capable of building winning guns for ourselves, is all to the good.

Yes, to shoot in the League requires dedication, and money. But, the League is as hot as any in the World - that's why almost 50% of the European entry was from overseas - you just can't get competition as good as the GBFCA League provides - except maybe in America - even there, you won't shoot against the World Champions at every shoot!

But, like most, I don't shoot in the League to win medals - though it's nice when you do!. I shoot because the League runs top class events at top class ranges and the social side, making friends etc. is just as enjoyable. My first love is benchrest and I only wish there was a GB Benchrest League run on exactly the same format - but there isn't.

The League is never going to suit everyone but whatever your ability, you will not be turned away - in fact, just the opposite - we were all beginners back in 2005.

Mik has done a great job and produced a world class team of F Class shooters of which we can be proud. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Vince
Dangermouse

#17 Post by Dangermouse »

Mik has done a great job and it has been a pleasure to shoot every F Class comp in the league. A testimony to his character and presence that he has achieved what he set out to in such a short time frame.
It is also worth noting that overall, every person that I have met who shoots the league has been very helpful to wards a novice F Class shooter,

DM
Without order and without a goal, six million people unarmed and unprovisioned, driving headlong. It was the beginning of the rout of civilisation, of the massacre of mankind.
MikMak

#18 Post by MikMak »

Thank you Dave for your kind comments,
But I feel i need to correct you for the benefit of everyone, Its the best 4 scores out of the 7 matches in the year not 6

We have not yet turned anyone away from a shoot who has entered on time, even people who have left it to the last minute
have been accomodated.

Diggle are looking at increasing the number of targets avail at long range to 8 to accomodate us with growing numbers.

The F Class association has nearly 300 paid up members, who only pay £15 per annum, most of this goes to insurance,

Our prizes and medals that are awarded at our matches make others pale into insignificance, and great investment has been made
in silverware and medals etc over the past 2-3 years.

It would be impossible to run a league shoot at barton road, as they only have 4 targets at long range and they cannott guarantee
that the booking would not be cancelled at the last minute!

We only have the options of Blair, Diggle and Bilsey where we can safely arrange our shoots and be confident we wont be bumped off the range by a TA unit
that needs to get its apwt done at the last minute.

It was decided at the outset, after our first season of shooting alongside TR matches and being treated fairly shabbily that we would do our own thing.
So we have 2 matches in Scotland, 3 at Diggle and 2 at Bisley, this covers the Uk fairly evenly and keeps most of our memebers very happy.

Yes we have spawned a small cottage industry of people manufacturing F class parts/gizmos etc, thats because everything we need is becomeing
either very expensive or very difficult to import. The F class commitee works very hard to organise the years events, including our beginners/training
weekend. Our end of seaon match has become the biggest F Class event in the world.

It wasnt my Idea, it was actually thought of by Des Parr, it was me that decide to havea go at organising it, and I think we have done a bloody good job of it. And I for one have thoroughly enjoyed it, in fact I cancelled my trip to the US nationals this year, as I get far better shooting here in Uk without
the expense of going abroad

We are a progressive Association and it was felt that we would start training for the FCWC in 2013 now, by doing some of the shoots string style
in readiness for Raton 2013, as we would like to keep our world championship status.

I hope this goes some way to answering the questions regarding the F Class league calendar questions for 2012
and hope to see you entering and competeing with us
Cheers
Mik
Dangermouse

#19 Post by Dangermouse »

Mik,

Thank you for setting me straight, best 4 is of course a lot easier than 6.

As a competitive shooter I guess my main frustration is knowing that I am unlikely to ever have the time nor money to ever worry the lads sitting at the top.
I guess that is where Gallery Rifle is so successful in catching shooters. They have a series of classifications which let every shooter have an achievable target and the chance to win their class. If I was only ever competing with the guys who only drop 1 point a comp, I would have given that up a long time a go.
You will probably see me next year at Bisley, Olympics allowing,

DM
HeatherW762
Home club or Range: OSM, NRA Bisley

#20 Post by HeatherW762 »

I'll have to say that as a relative newbie to F Class I have been astounded at the friendliness and helpfullness of those that shoot this discipline.

Now I have kit that is more up to the mark, I'm starting to see my scores increase. What I can say is that those who are used to a certain range, be it Bisley, Diggle or Blair, will always have a home advantage when it comes to the wind. Consequently it is possible to get well up the lists against the odds. I came 7th in one of the European shoots purely because I'm familiar with twitchy winds on Stickledown and consider them fun not scary.

I have shot the Imperial meeting for more years than I care to remember as a TR shooter and never came that far up the listings - certainly not top 200 - however I did once come 2nd in one of the shoots a long time ago :shakeshout:

However, for me, my aim is to improve on my previous scores in that competition. This doesn't always mean higher up the prize list but is personally satisfying and I have come off the firing point exceedingly chuffed with myself on occasion.

Heather
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye (Miss Piggy)