Surrey Police letter to RFDs

Moderator: dromia

Ovenpaa
Site Supporter Since 2015

Surrey Police letter to RFDs

#1 Post by Ovenpaa »

This has just hit my inbox, the letter is being sent to RFDs however it also applies to FAC and SGC holders.
Ladies and Gentlemen,

AWARENESS OF EXTREMIST ACTION.

I have been asked to bring to your attention that in a recent Islamic State (IS) propaganda publication, aimed at sympathisers in the UK, mention was made of targeting Registered Firearms Dealers with a view to obtaining weapons.

No advice or instruction was given as to how this ‘targeting’ should be undertaken and this is not considered to be a specific threat.

I would ask that each of you take care in respect of your personal security by being aware of persons or vehicles in the vicinity of your business premises or home addresses and that you review your security arrangements and working practices. If you have been following a particular routine when opening or closing up, now might be a good time to make a change.

If you are suspicious about any customer or person loitering around your premises, please do not hesitate to call police using the 101 system. If you require immediate police assistance please dial 999

Yours sincerely,

Paul Gregory
Force Firearms & Explosives Licensing Manager
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

Re: Surrey Police letter to RFDs

#2 Post by bradaz11 »

are rfds allowed too exercise self defence with their stock?
I've often wondered if sec 5 guys are justified in using force to defend them and their goodies.
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Ovenpaa

#3 Post by Ovenpaa »

Good question and I have no idea if 'reasonable force' applies or what would happen should the wrong sorts turn up. I was going to suggest the Viking keep an 8 shot pump action next to her desk however I doubt it would go down well with our FEO.
/d

Du lytter aldrig til de ord jeg siger. Du ser mig kun for det tøj jeg har paa ...

Shed Journal
breacher
Home club or Range: EBSC

#4 Post by breacher »

Same rules apply to an RFD as to any other citizen.

Cannot possess any article with the intent to use it for self defence.

Flip side of the coin - like any other citizen, they can "instant arm" with whatever is to hand in the event of an attack. Obviously, what is readily available in a gunshop differs to what might be available elsewhere !
http://www.phoenixtactical.co.uk

RFD 2043 Cambridgeshire
bradaz11
Sporadic Site Supporter
Home club or Range: The tunnel at Charmouth, BWSS

#5 Post by bradaz11 »

breacher wrote: like any other citizen, they can "instant arm" with whatever is to hand in the event of an attack. Obviously, what is readily available in a gunshop differs to what might be available elsewhere !
so when I am at the range, 'researching' my 7.3's, should someone enters the range and demand I hand over my guns while threatening violence, I could "instant arm" with one of my handguns and politely decline?
When guns are outlawed, only Outlaws will have guns
Tony-c

#6 Post by Tony-c »

theres also a letter that gives advice on key words not to search for online, else you could be on a terrorist list

its often made me wonder if Im at say london proof house on a S5 run, just what action or force could I use to protect them during transit, or indeed from car to proof house etc

I was up there the day of the Westminster attack and that really did bring home the "what if" plan

friends of mine said I jinxed it, as that morning I posted on my FB that I was sat watching London has fallen on netflix outside the proof house LOL
just as I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel.......... I realised it was just my boss with more work and a torch.

#7 Post by 24772433 »

bradaz11 wrote: so when I am at the range, 'researching' my 7.3's, should someone enters the range and demand I hand over my guns while threatening violence, I could "instant arm" with one of my handguns and politely decline?
Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.
Blackstuff

#8 Post by Blackstuff »

I would not like to be the trial case for using substantial/deadly force to prevent a firearm falling into the hands of a criminal/terrorist. Call me cynical but unless you could drum up a media/public backing campaign to bring pressure on the court, I think you'd end up in as much trouble as anyone using similar force to protect any other type of property :bad:
DVC
Ovenpaa

#9 Post by Ovenpaa »

Here is a thought, would a person/RFD/FAC holder that would consider using a firearm to protect their family against terrorists be considered a risk as an FAC holder?

Put another way, better law abiding and dead? I spend my working life in a workshop and certainly throwing a lathe at someone would be out of the question, however I very much doubt I would give any real consideration to the legality of my actions as I grabbed a hammer to protect my wife or myself, especially with the wide ranging implication of not doing anything and the potential harm that could be done to others at a later date as a consequence of my actions. Hypothetically speaking of course...

Would this make me not suitable to be an FAC holder or RFD?
/d

Shed Journal
Blackstuff

#10 Post by Blackstuff »

I think you'd lose the lot initially after the incident and then it would depend on your legal representation, how deep your pockets were and if the press/public 'likes' you on whether you got your tickets back if the cases I've seen in the news are anything to go by :bad:
DVC